My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Using HDR 1000S in Portugal

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

vauga

Hello there, Firstly congrats on great forum!!

I am living in Portugal and we receive the usual Freesat signal via satellite. A friend of mine has the FOXSAT HDR and it seems to work fine for him. I am however looking at the HDR 1000s as it is the latest model and it is hard enough to keep up with technology as it is. (Stop rambling!!) Ok question, how do the on demand/catch up channels work?

Can we fool them with a box post code change to thinking we are in the UK??

Other than all the catch up channels - Iplayer, 4oD etc is it possible to watch the previous days/weeks programs from the epg without these working?

Is the catch up function the only real difference from the FOXSAT HDR?

Sorry for the ramble and the many questions!
    Vauga

| Tue 20 Nov 2012 14:16:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. Catch up internet services don't take any account of the postcode used (this only serves to allocate regional channels to your epg). A UK based IP address is required to use UK TV vod services, to get these to work you need to present a UK IP address (other x pats may be able to help here).

The new box has links to these services within the epg, without a UK IP address you may not even see the data (A query for Repassac )

The picture is better on the HDR-1000S but it's a much more restricted box then the Foxsat especially if you want to use it with other satellites.

I would be inclined to wait a little while. Currently most of the main UK channels are being transmitted from a temporary sattelite which was intended to provide German services from 19.2E (Astra 1N). Only yesterday it's replacement Astra 2F arrived at 28.2E.

Astra 1N has a much wider coverage than anticipated, 2F may have such a tight UK beam that makes reception very hard in Portugal. I would wait a week or two for 2F to start transmissions and check with your friend what effect this has on his pictures.

| Tue 20 Nov 2012 14:29:29 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi welcome to the forum. Catch up internet services don't take any account of the postcode used (this only serves to allocate regional channels to your epg). A UK based IP address is required to use UK TV vod services, to get these to work you need to present a UK IP address (other x pats may be able to help here).
    The new box has links to these services within the epg, without a UK IP address you may not even see the data (A query for Repassac )
    The picture is better on the HDR-1000S but it's a much more restricted box then the Foxsat especially if you want to use it with other satellites.
    I would be inclined to wait a little while. Currently most of the main UK channels are being transmitted from a temporary sattelite which was intended to provide German services from 19.2E (Astra 1N). Only yesterday it's replacement Astra 2F arrived at 28.2E.
    Astra 1N has a much wider coverage than anticipated, 2F may have such a tight UK beam that makes reception very hard in Portugal. I would wait a week or two for 2F to start transmissions and check with your friend what effect this has on his pictures.

You don't get very far - The Foxsat times out and on the HDR-1000S you do see the promoted programmes and can select them, but after you select play get a message "Sorry: Geolocation".

The ip check works based upon IANA and RIR assignment. So some UK users (e.g. those connected to corperate networks [Especially internationals] can get a problem.

A UK VPN will provide au UK ip but it is not so easy to setup so that a PVR can access them. (p.m. me to discuss). Free services such as Expatshield cannot be used to view on a PVR. In any case a VPN will need much more bandwith than normal.

Another possibility is the saterlite based internet servioe Tooway the service is fast but not cheap. 1 (from 9 degrees E).
    Covers all Europe.

| Tue 20 Nov 2012 16:24:34 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.