My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Using with a VNP

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

williec79

As I live in France and would like to access certain of the UK “on –demand” TV sites and the obvious way is to use a VNP provider.

I was interested in the posting by Barry, some four years ago, entitled “HDR – Specifying a static IP for network connection”.

Before detailing my problem, I should say that my modem is that provided by my French ADSL provider, (SFR) and does not permit a VNP option. (I do know that the newer faster “boxes” do provide such a facility but not in our rural area).

Although I have not yet bought a VNP subscription, I have had two free trials, with limited success (using a laptop with VNP, and connecting this to my ‘non smart’ TV.) However, what I would like to be able to do, is to use the Humax as the vehicle with the UK IP address provided by the VNP provider.

Following the details on the old posting by Barry, I can get a UK IP address on to the Humax and indeed it seems to accept this OK.

The only problem is that the Humax still will not access the various “on-demand” UK sites, whereas using the VNP enabled laptop does work OK.

Can anyone help and point out what I am doing wrong (I am not a “techie, as you may have guessed).

| Tue 17 Jan 2017 13:38:11 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's a VPN (Virtual Private Network) though the French name may translate to VNP. Repassac may be able to help (He lives in France). Guessing you need to manually set up the DNS options on the Humax.

Welcome to our forum.

| Tue 17 Jan 2017 13:43:37 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A smart DNS service achieves the same result and should be faster than a VPN (No encryption / decryption to add overhead). It usually costs a little less as well.

A smart DNS functions by changing only the DNS entry which is possible either by entering it on your modem/router or on the HDR.

It is possible, by changing the HDR network settings, to route all traffic via a PC (which must be on) and then via it's VPN, by internet connection sharing. However this requires quite a level of n advanced level of PC and network experience.

It is not possible to use a VPN directly on the HDR as it will not handle the logon and has no provision for such a service.

One last method would be to buy a VPN router and connect the HDR to it and connect the router to your existing moedem/router. Just make sure they are using different networks such as 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0.

If you let me know your NRA (Exchange ID) I would look to see if any ISP has de-grouped it. You can find this info if you enter your telephone number on http://www.degrouptest.com/ - just enter the telephone number and leave the rest blank. Select Degrouptest on the first popup and when the results are displayed select "Plus de details" on the tab. the piece of information that is interesting they call "Code Commutateur Local" Mine for example is 32310PHD

| Tue 17 Jan 2017 16:04:13 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.