My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

varying sound volume

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

Have had my Humax for about 5 years, and recently the sound volume started going up and down during a programme. Signal strength is excellent, and changing HDMI cable makes no difference. Any suggestions as to cause and possible solutions would be appreciated. If I switch to Smart TV, sound output is normal. Thanks.

| Thu 6 Dec 2018 6:30:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

if you cover the front infra red receiver so the remote can't work does it stop it happening ?

| Thu 6 Dec 2018 10:24:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

Interesting suggestion. Mysterious. Will give it a try. Thank you.

| Thu 6 Dec 2018 18:22:40 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

monterey - 1 hour ago  » 
    Interesting suggestion. Mysterious. Will give it a try. Thank you.

You may have a rogue Infra Red Source or a stuck key on a remote. By covering up the Infra Red receiver the issue must be down to the box if it continues. Some low energy bulbs can emit infra red as can back lights on a CCFL back lit TV

| Thu 6 Dec 2018 19:43:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

Unfortunately, blocking the infra-red does not stop it happening.

| Fri 7 Dec 2018 8:13:50 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Remove the power to the box for 10 minutes. If that doesn't help photograph your recording schedule and do a reset to factory defaults.

| Fri 7 Dec 2018 10:22:48 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I presume that the Humax sound is output by the TV?
    If Grahams suggestions don't solve the problem also try a different HDMI port on the TV.

Is the Humax sound output set to stereo or multi-channel.
    As a test if you set it to multi-channel does the fix the problem on BBC HD channels or not?

| Fri 7 Dec 2018 11:57:38 #7 |
  8. prking

prking

It’s worthwhile checking that any automatic sound enhancement is turned off on the TV (for the HDMI input the Humax is connected to). I should really put the word enhancement in quotation marks as the processing often causes volume effects.

As an example, on my Sony TV if voice boost is set to Auto then the volume will change when it thinks someone is speaking causing the volume to go up and down as it’s not good at detecting when to boost.

| Fri 7 Dec 2018 12:53:05 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

Changing the sound output to multichannel appears to have solved the problem. Why should that be when all has been OK for almost 5 years, and does the overall sound quality remain unaffected? Thanks all for your helpful suggestions.

| Sat 8 Dec 2018 9:03:47 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I expect the problem to continue to exist with SD channels.

With the sound set to Multi-channel (on HD channels) the sound is not first processed by the Humax but passed encoded with the picture to the amp or TV in your case. The TV then decodes and processes it.

What this suggests to is that there is could be a problem with the Humax sound processing the Humax processing.

Graham knows more about sound processing that I do as my system is very basic, mainly due to me only hearing from one ear following an accident.

| Sat 8 Dec 2018 9:44:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.