My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Very slow response times in recorded media

(17 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

meniscus1 - 34 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, sorry if I'm in the wrong section, this is my first time on any forum.

No need to apologise, moved to correct area.

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 12:57:49 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Thanks Graham, I didn't know what OP meant either.

Re: sky+, it's a bit unfair to compare unless you've had the 2TB in the skybox 44% full. Most people I know with sky struggle with the 160GB of usable capacity and it always seems slow. I struggle being in the same room as a sky box,
    I've had a 1TB in my box from day one and no problems, however I don't have 100GB of radio and I don't expect miracles and we tend to forget just how much TB's and GB's really are.
    It takes hours to transfer 40GB 4,000+ mp3's from my fast pc to a usb stick for example. It must have taken ages to format the drive in the first place.
    Similar to Graham, I'd advise the firmware upgrade, also you might want to try offloading all the radio stuff onto usb. I've no idea if this would help, but it would let you see if the problem lies with the, presumably, multitude of small radio files.
    If it were me I'd set off housekeeping just before going to bed or going out, it's a bit like watching paint dry if you stand over it waiting.

| Thu 20 Sep 2012 13:16:19 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

meniscus1

second attempt to do this, last post disappeared whilst typing.
    Hi there I'm back.
    The slow response times are getting slower but now will not record new material because I have reached the recordings' number limit (1000 files I think) Deleting some files allows new recordings. Still not yet using 50% of HDD capacity. I feel I have being sold something not fit for purpose as there was no warning about these two problems. (slow response because of number of files and maximum number of files allowed)
    Moving files to a USB negates paying the extra for 2TB HDD. I could have spent a lot lot less and brought 32o GB model and spent considerable savings on an external USB drive.
    Any one experiencing similar problems.

| Fri 9 Nov 2012 14:17:06 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The slow response times I have seen reported before were also connected with a large number radio recordings. PVR disk capacity is normally stated in terms of the humber of hours of SD or HD programmes it can record. Design, I think, was for PVR that also could do radio.

| Fri 9 Nov 2012 14:36:23 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

meniscus1

Luckily the radio files are relatively smallish in size and I shall move them this weekend to a USB stick and see if this makes a difference.

| Fri 9 Nov 2012 15:28:51 #15 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

For info are the radio programmes in folders or in the root folder? I am interested if it makes any difference to either the speed or the number limitation.

| Fri 9 Nov 2012 15:31:33 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

meniscus1

I've got them in about 10 folders. I don't reckon that would effect the total number count.

| Fri 9 Nov 2012 15:42:29 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.