My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Very slow USB file transfer on 2000T

(15 posts)
  1. black knight

black knight

special member

Does anyone know why the 2000T has a file transfer speed that is incredibly slow compared to the older Fox T2 boxes?

This is both when copying an SD file to a USB flash drive, and when copying a video file to the 2000T internal drive.

It's literally about a third of the speed that my old HD Fox T2 box transfers files at, and I cannot understand why. This is on both front and rear ports.

Surely this can only be a software issue, although I cannot see why it would be deliberately crippled like this. Very frustrating when I've been used to the speed on the older Fox T2.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 11:47:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

For me it is not a software issue that has occured all the time.

I first bought the HDR-2000T in 2013 and its export speed was on a par with the HDR-FOX T2 for the same type of file (i.e. comparing SD with SD and HD with HD). The unit lasted a day before it was returned to the shop.

A bought a second unit, also on 1.00.07 last year and again the exporting was similar to the HDR-FOX-T2. Then a few weeks later it was just under half the speed. Even after a reset and no recordings the speed was still down.
    I have no idea why, but now you have reminded me I might have another play to see if I can get back to the old faster speed again.

One possibility for your comparatively slow speeds is that you are comparing the exporting of SD files on the HDT-2000T with exporting SD files from the HDR-FOX T2 that have already been decrypted. Are you comparing like with like?

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 13:22:06 #2 |
  3. Des in London

Des in London

Hi there.
    I have an 1800T and i too suffer from ridiculously slow transfer speeds.

I'm lucky enough to also have the HDR-FOX T2 at home, and when comparing 'like-for-like' programs recorded simultaneously, the FOX T2 takes about 10min for a 1 hour SD recording to copy to an external HDD, compared to a bloody awful 1 hour from the 1800T !!!

It absolutely amazes me the thought process of these big companies when they first launch any band new product; to then only replace it a few years later with another one containing inferior parts, locked down software (ie. Custom Firmware cannot be installed on 1800/2000T models...???), just to make a few more quid out of us - it's simply disguising.

I've challenged Humax several times about the above differences but to no avail, so i might as well be literally banging my head against a brick wall.

It's greed and nothing more by these fat-cat companies! I wish the Fox T2 was still for sale

So to concluded, i urge EVERYONE owning the latest 1800/2000T units that also have the brilliant HDR-FOX-T2 machines to compare the recording speeds/times and present them to Humax, who MAY think twice in the future and give us back what we originally had in the FOX T2 units.

Apologies for the rant.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 16:12:34 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This used to work on a 9200T and the Topfield pvrs.

Try removing the aerial during a transfer. I don't have a 1800 or 2000 to try it on.

Theory is the cpu is not required to service the tuners and time shift buffer which would clearly have a higher interrupt support.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 16:18:59 #4 |
  5. Des in London

Des in London

...what an absolutely genius idea to try! lol. It does sound like a lotta sense when you explain your rational

Can you think of a reason why a brand new replacement model (1800/2000T) is not able to copy as quickly as the FOX models? I heard that the newer models have a faster CPU... so why is it sluggish in everything it does? ( i refer to the fact that when performing a copy, using the EPG or pressing the 'Media' button to select a recording to watch etc. is extremely frustrating as the screen simply displays "Processing..." for literally minutes!

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 18:53:33 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Des in London - 3 minutes ago  » 
    ...what an absolutely genius idea to try! lol. It does sound like a lotta sense when you explain your rational
    Can you think of a reason why a brand new replacement model (1800/2000T) is not able to copy as quickly as the FOX models? I heard that the newer models have a faster CPU... so why is it sluggish in everything it does? ( i refer to the fact that when performing a copy, using the EPG or pressing the 'Media' button to select a recording to watch etc. is extremely frustrating as the screen simply displays "Processing..." for literally minutes!

I can only guess servicing the usb port is a lower priority on the newer boxes. Incidentally you could also try tuning to a off air channel and/or radio channel to see if there is any discenrnible improvement. I do have two HDR FOX T2's but never archive using usb, as it's easier to transfer directly to a PC.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 19:01:08 #6 |
  7. Des in London

Des in London

thanks for your suggestion but i'm just literally copying (after foxy'ing) every recording that i want to save for my own library (archive) to an external HDD, before returning the 1800T box back to Argos for a full refund.

I will most probably be joining you in the very near future - owning a second FOX T2 box! I've seen on Gumtee these being sold for as little as £50 with only minor cosmetic damages - absolute result! Why would you pay triple that for an inferior model? lol.

On the subject of archive, why do you use the PC method if you don't mind me asking? Do you keep all your recordings on there and use it as a platform to transfer to HDD from there?

PS.
    How do i upload a picture/avator on my profile....? I can't see anything in my Profile to allow me to edit and then upload...
    cheers.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 19:27:28 #7 |
  8. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

How do the drive formats compare, WRT the HDR-1800/ 2000T? On the HDR-FOX copying to an EXT2 USB stick or EXT3 USB hard drive seems much quicker than copying to the same type of device formatted in NTFS (I've not tried to run 'proper' speed tests so this is anecdotal, I suppose). How do these compare on the HDR-1800/ 2000T (NTFS write support on the HDR-FOX is enabled using custom firmware)?

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 19:29:14 #8 |
  9. Des in London

Des in London

Hi.

I've actually tried copying to two identical external USB HDD (both Seagate 2.5" 1TB from Argos) to see the difference in file formats... one formatted in Humax friendly 'ext3' and the other formatted in PC friendly 'ntfs'.

Both were crap in my experience in copying over a 1 hour BBC1 programme using the new 1800T model, compared to using my HDR-FOX T2 unit.

Without over exaggerating, the 1800T model took approx 40min (both file formats) while the Fox model took merely 10min - this to me does not make sense.

As a footnote, when i first performed this 'test copy' a few weeks ago using the 1800T unit it did take nearly over an hour to do, whereas just a few hours ago it took a slightly less 40min (as already explained) - weird...
    ...however, if anyone wants to keep their slow 1800/2000T units, i think the suggestion of removing the aerial leads is a bloody good one! lol

PS.
    Do you know how to upload a picture/avator on my profile....? I can't see anything in my Profile to allow me to edit and then upload...
    cheers.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 20:05:45 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Des in London - 1 hour ago  » 
    On the subject of archive, why do you use the PC method if you don't mind me asking? Do you keep all your recordings on there and use it as a platform to transfer to HDD from there?
    PS.
    How do i upload a picture/avator on my profile....? I can't see anything in my Profile to allow me to edit and then upload...
    cheers.

I don't transfer much, but as it always ends up on a PC first it makes sense to copy any content directly. I use Videoredo TV suite to top and tail and remove ads. These are mainly for viewing away from home on a tablet/smartphone, once watched I ditch them anyway.

It's been a while since I uploaded my Avatar, I don't remember it being difficult. I will have a look tomorrow as New Tricks is looming

I don't know if removing the aerial will work, it does definitely work on a Topfield pvr though.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 21:07:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.