My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Video via USB mem stick?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Memnon

I have a large number of videos on HDD's ... can I put a Video on a USB memory stick, plug that in and watch ?

If so ... what format does the video have to be in ? ...... for example can I drop a vob file in ? or a DV file ?

Any specifc structure or naming needed ?

| Tue 11 Feb 2014 15:50:03 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Basically Yes. You will need a USB Hub to connect a recording drive and the drive with the recordings on. Most compatible format is .ts (transport stream). AV2HDR-T2 will convert suitable content to give you full navigation capability (same as built in recordings).

Just tried it with a high bitrate 1080p24 ac3 5.1 audio which it plays fine.

| Tue 11 Feb 2014 16:03:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Memnon

I have several 16GB USB memory sticks can I use those direct ? ...

If not I have a Belkin 4+2 USB hub FSU-237 http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=428954

Is that the type you mean ?

Not familiar with AV2HDR-T2 ... but a quick Google shows it does not support AVI which is the format all my videos are in, either DV or Lagarith.

To transcode them again would be be very lossy, maybe this is not a practical idea.
    However I suppose to watch them I would have convert to DVD so maybe I'll at least try one MPEG-2 and see how it works

| Tue 11 Feb 2014 16:22:56 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Memnon - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I have several 16GB USB memory sticks can I use those direct ? ...
    If not I have a Belkin 4+2 USB hub FSU-237 http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=428954
    Is that the type you mean ?
    Not familiar with AV2HDR-T2 ... but a quick Google shows it does not support AVI which is the format all my videos are in, either DV or Lagarith.
    To transcode them again would be be very lossy, maybe this is not a practical idea.
    However I suppose to watch them I would have convert to DVD so maybe I'll at least try one MPEG-2 and see how it works

Yes DV cameras record to .avi at a relatively high bitrate (around 4GB for 20 minutes of content). If you want to preserve the quality you could match the bitrate and use AVC/H264 to a .ts file. That should degredate your content very little if at all.

| Tue 11 Feb 2014 16:38:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

I have a large number of videos on HDD's ...

May I ask you what kind of HDD's are they? I guess they're not external usb HDD's? If SATA, where are they? In the PC or some where on the shelf? If on the shelf - wouldn't it be easier to get some SATA to USB adapter for £5 from ebuy, and connect to your box directly? And if they're in your PC just share the content on network and your box should see it. Or easier still connect your PC to TV directly via RGB or HDMI cable and play it (videos) with VLC. No transfering to usb stick, no trans-coding, no hassle...

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 2:23:41 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

catinaz - 8 hours ago  » 

May I ask you what kind of HDD's are they? I guess they're not external usb HDD's? If SATA, where are they? In the PC or some where on the shelf? If on the shelf - wouldn't it be easier to get some SATA to USB adapter for £5 from ebuy, and connect to your box directly? And if they're in your PC just share the content on network and your box should see it. Or easier still connect your PC to TV directly via RGB or HDMI cable and play it (videos) with VLC. No transfering to usb stick, no trans-coding, no hassle...

The HDR1000s won't play AVI's whether streamed or not.
    It will not even list files with a .avi extension. It won't list .mts files either, in this case changing the extension to .ts makes them visible and playable.

The DLNA client is pretty limited in what the built in chips can handle, it will not play many of the formats a dedicated media player will, and of course it's simple to add codecs to a proper PC to handle most any format. Not many of have PC's that will support full 1080p in 5.1 directly to a TV. With a good source the picture and audio streamed to the HDR1000S is as good as a Blu-ray disc.

I put all my videos on usb portable hard disks in original quality. That way I can play them back even on a plane using my Nexus 7 (which has a full-HD screen), it will also connect directly to most of my Humax pvrs (The Foxsat-hdr being the exception).

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 11:05:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Memnon

These are VHS tapes captured to digital as DVD files.

Most are Type2 DV (embedded audio) some which I have been editing are elementary streams of .m2V and .ac3 (same name, same folder)

I have them on a NAS drive on my home network ... so if I can connect and play form that all the better for me.

I could convert them to a DVD creation project ... so would then be .vob files & structure, if that is required.

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 12:13:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Memnon

catinaz - 9 hours ago  » 

May I ask you what kind of HDD's are they? ...

These are on a networked NAS drive, or I can put them on networked PC ..

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 12:23:30 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Output the files to a DVD Folder. Get a copy of Tsmuxergui. Run this software. Open your VIDEO_TS folder in Windows Explorer and drag the first .vob to the add button on Tsmuxergui. Group select the remaining vobs and drag to the join button. Check the vobs are in the correct order. Select .ts and a appropriate filename and location. Click the Start Muxing button (it will only take a short time). The resulting .ts should play OK. If you have lip synch issues, re-open the output file in TSmuxer and input a audio correction factor (+100) works for HD files joined in this way from my HD camcorders.

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 12:24:16 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Memnon

All the files need to be in VOB format ?

I do do this, using my DVD creation package and create project folder rather than burn

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 12:44:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.