My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

VPN for iplayer overseas

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

interceptor

Does this box have any built-in vpn settings i.e. can i set up a vpn within its menu settings. I would like to use services such as iplayer overseas which requires a vpn. Currently i have vpn setups on pc's and tablets using hidemyass. I don't really want to replace my existing router with one that can be flashed with vpn software such as ddwrt.
    Any info or suggestions would be welcome.
    Thank you.

| Sun 17 Mar 2013 13:36:21 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Don't think its possible.
    When I first got mine I had a look at some of the settings and you can't even manually alter the DNS settings.

| Sun 17 Mar 2013 14:16:16 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It was in 1.00.16 and 1.0.22 anyway! this release of firmware has a bit of a bug which seems to prevent manual settings.

The manual settings only appears if a DHCP address cannot be obtained. Currently any changes are not applied or saved.

For a low overhead DNS solution that could be applied to your router settings for the DHCP server there is a good and reasonably priced solution, which I have tested, from Unblock-us.com. This you could use without making changes to the HDR-1000S.

| Sun 17 Mar 2013 15:44:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

interceptor

I guess this could work. But unfortunately if i use unblock-us dns settings on the router i have found it affects other internet services such as tvcatchup.com (trying to watch from a pc). A real shame this box doesn't have proper ip settings that could be changed and which would only affect this device.
    But thank you for the suggestion - was worth a try.

| Sun 17 Mar 2013 20:38:02 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

interceptor - 1 hour ago  » 
    I guess this could work. But unfortunately if i use unblock-us dns settings on the router i have found it affects other internet services such as tvcatchup.com (trying to watch from a pc). A real shame this box doesn't have proper ip settings that could be changed and which would only affect this device.
    But thank you for the suggestion - was worth a try.

When I tried all non ip realted services worked as normal - they offer a 1 week free trial as well.

I expect that Humax will sort out the settings in the next release.

| Sun 17 Mar 2013 22:16:52 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

interceptor

I hope they do open the vpn/dns facility. I tried the unblock-us trial, and thats where i found tvcatchup.com would not load up on my pc while the router used their special dns settings. I haven't tried any other services yet, but thats the one i noticed straight away. Lets hope they don't wait too long for an update.

| Mon 18 Mar 2013 10:13:43 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

interceptor - 2 hours ago  » 
    I hope they do open the vpn/dns facility. I tried the unblock-us trial, and thats where i found tvcatchup.com would not load up on my pc while the router used their special dns settings. I haven't tried any other services yet, but thats the one i noticed straight away. Lets hope they don't wait too long for an update.

I am sure they will fix the network settings. However to use a VPN you will either have route all packets via a PC or use a additional router running DD-WRT.

You could have used manual DNS settings (or just used tvcatchup.com's ip address rather than FQDN) on the PC.

| Mon 18 Mar 2013 13:03:08 #7 |
  8. chrisund123

chrisund123

Someone in my office, their parents live in France and have the 1000S - she said they can get the Iplayer OK with putting in a UK postcode.

I'll ask her if they're still getting it OK.

| Mon 18 Mar 2013 13:30:34 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

chrisund123 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Someone in my office, their parents live in France and have the 1000S - she said they can get the Iplayer OK with putting in a UK postcode.
    I'll ask her if they're still getting it OK.

The UK postcode would not make any difference at all (in fact you can only enter UK postcodes on freesat receivers) - access to on-demand services is controlled only by IP address blocks. There are satellite services covering Europe that have UK IP addresses (http://sat.tooway.fr/). There are also ex-pat phone/ADSL services that may use UK addresses (e.g. http://www.uktelecom.net/uktv/) If they use a non UK ISP IP address they will be blocked.

| Mon 18 Mar 2013 13:48:23 #9 |
  10. chrisund123

chrisund123

Yeah I did wonder myself, we had a long chat about sorting out some kind of proxy/VPN to get Iplayer etc, but in the end her parents said it was just working as is - I found this quite surprising.

I'll have to ask her about it again and see if I can get any more info - won't put too much stock in the answers tho, as her parents aren't the most technical.

| Mon 18 Mar 2013 15:50:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.