My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

VPN via WiFi

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Good-day Forum

I have used VPN via HDMI cable (UKtelecom vpn) as required for some time however,"she who shall be obeyed" requires TV location moved, subsequently rerouting HDMI cabe is not possible.

The HUMAX is connected to my router via WiFi as is my Samsung smart TV.

It occurs to me that as the Humax is connected to the router directly via WiFi it may be possible to connect the VPN and obtain BBC iplayer & real time freesat viewing/ recording( as with the HDMI cable) .....However I am at a loss how to achieve this....?

Both TV and Humax are WiFi connected to the router, however, as the Humax does the recording should I ignore the fact that the TV is smart and seek connection only via Humax? ...perhaps some member is able to advise how this may be achieved please.

Trust this subject to be within the expertise and knowledge of the community.

BeST regards

| Fri 6 Jul 2018 9:52:11 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Your post was initially a bit confusing "I have used VPN via HDMI cable". The HDMI cable displays the picture from another device - it is not clear from UKTELECOM's site if the other end of the HDMI connection is their router or a PC, perhaps you can clarify. (In one place they mention "via your PC", but do not mention a VPN.

It is possible to route access to a VPN connection (where the network IP is known) via setting up permanent ROUTE commands on the PC or perhaps the router. Depending on topography it may also require internet connection sharing. This involves quite advanced know how.

It is easier to add a VPN capable router as a second network which would have the advantage that the PC does not have to be on.

On what is the VPN connection established PC, Router or even smart TV?

| Fri 6 Jul 2018 13:58:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Thank you for your prompt response...sorry I am not clear in the description...

I can use the VPN and access BBC Iplayer via the UKtelecom router by way of PC connected to Humax via HDMI hard wire .

Relocation of the TV makes HDMI cable routing (PC/TV) not possible, hence my query.

I know my network IP, however this will be geotagged unless the UKTV VPN facility is utilised.

All devices are wifi connected to the router, but without hard wire HDMI PC connection I am unable to manually select VPN and avoid geoblocking for on demand .

Perhaps the question I should pose is how may it be possible to have the Humax utilise the VPN service via WiFi?

Trust this to be less confusing.

| Fri 6 Jul 2018 14:51:49 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Both a PC and a Humax Box only have HDMI outputs so there is no way to connect a PC to a Humax box. HDMI carries Audio and Video it is not normally used for network connections.

A VPN encrypts your network traffic making it secure from anyone else who can see it including your ISP. You can also change the geographic location displayed to the content source server.

If a vpn is set up on your router then all kit using it is encrypted from the network source via the vpn server and then your ISP server (whether it's direct connected by Cat5/6 network cable or via WiFi).

To install a vpn on your Humax box you will need to change it's DNS address.

In short if you have a VPN setup on your router all kit including the Humax should be secured whether it uses WiFi or a cabled connection.

If you use a mobile device to access sensitive data (like your bank account) it's wise to set up a vpn on this. I can recommend NordVPN as it's very simple to use on mobile devices like phones tablets and laptops.

| Fri 6 Jul 2018 16:40:18 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Graham,
    The VPN service (if from UKTELECOM, which I presume) is data limited to about 20 programmes.

Lindberg146,
    It is not possible to set the Humax to directly use a VPN - it requires an established network connection.

It is possible to setup a complex two way routing via PC or more simply connect the Humax to a new VPN router - additionally routing traffic between the current and new network (a subnet of the your full network). The network you would need to know is the VPN's to route packets to and from it correctly

You could also consider replacing the VPN with a smart DNS (No Encryption and usually no bandwidth limitations). This would be simple as only a DNS setting changes - You can change it on the Humax or your router if you want your whole network connected.

| Fri 6 Jul 2018 18:04:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Thank you to both special members

I had apparently mistakenly thought all devices connected via the router would benefit from VPN, clearly Repassac is able to identify this not to be the case.( my attempts to access beeb iplayer receives message ..."sorry something went wrong" assume this to be the geolocation softwear.

I note via my network Humax info page that DHCP is connection type as expected, Primary DNS and Gateway address are within the IP range identified by my "WIFI Analyser" app reference as my IP address, and secondary DNS is 0.0.0.0,

It has been suggested that primary DNS should be 8.8.8.8 and not same as the gateway address is this something you may be familiar with?
    regards

| Sat 7 Jul 2018 13:54:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Lindberg146 - 14 minutes ago  » 
    It has been suggested that primary DNS should be 8.8.8.8 and not same as the gateway address is this something you may be familiar with?
    regards

8.8.8.8 is Google DNS, setting the DNS address the same as the gateway address means that your router is providing DNS, either should work. I have known ISPs who have unreliable DNS and in that case using an alternative such as Google or my favourite OpenDNS might help. Neither will help with getting iPlayer to work outside the UK.

| Sat 7 Jul 2018 14:13:03 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"I had apparently mistakenly thought all devices connected via the router would benefit from VPN".

While this is technically possible it would not be desirable as your monthly quota would quickly run out.

As I said before the simple solution would be a smart UK DNS service to replace the VPN. All this involves (after setup) is changing the DNS setting on either your Humax or the router as wanted.
    I last used one of these over 2 years ago - most offer a free trail, usually a day or so, but it does result in a monthly subscription. see
    https://smartdns.com/blog/483/5-best-smart-dns-uk/

A lot of other solutions are possible but either involve an additional VPN router or traffic routed via a PC, Custom IP routing and internet connection sharing - all with some throughput degradation.

As Martin says it is quite normal for your DNS address to be your gateway address and the Routers IP address. Normally you would expect your ISP's DNS to respond much faster than a remote DNS due to the number of 'hops' needed.
    The TRACERT IPADDRESS (enter via PC program cmd.exe) can display this but is a little slow as it resolves the router network names as it passes thru them.

| Sat 7 Jul 2018 16:06:04 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Thank you forum for the advice given, my apologies for tardy thank you but have had some broadband issues for a while which appear to now be resolved.

Many thanks I shall carefully contemplate the next step.

Regards

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 10:24:47 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.