My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

TV without the HDR-Fox T2 being on

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

Graham,
    You totally miss the point.
    The User Manual, which I & many others refer to, just states a RF lead from the aerial to RF In on the Humax & a HDMI lead from the Humax to the TV.
    This is in the "Quick start Guide" written I assume for non Technical persons.
    Clearly this is an error in the User Manual

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 11:39:25 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

johnooooo - 1 hour ago  » 
    Graham,
    You totally miss the point.
    The User Manual, which I & many others refer to, just states a RF lead from the aerial to RF In on the Humax & a HDMI lead from the Humax to the TV.
    This is in the "Quick start Guide" written I assume for non Technical persons.
    Clearly this is an error in the User Manual

As I explained, the need for a RF connection from the RF out socket to youyr TV depends entirely on the arrangement of your aerial connections to all your kit, something Humax have no knowledge of.

The rf connections could easily be part of a chain including many items of kit. Someone may have a Sky box in the system and say a HDR FOX T2. There are many different ways to connect up different kit.

A Sky box would have to be the last in the chain before the TV as it contains two rf outputs, one for the TV and another to send the Sky box pictures to remote TV's (and use magic eyes to control the box).

Non technical or not, there can't be many that don't realise that to make a TV work as a TV rather than a monitor for other kit, then you have to connect an aerial to it. It doesn't have to be routed by the HDR FOX T2 at all, hence the power saving option.

I don't have one from my HDR FOX T2 to my TV, I don't need one as the aerial to the TV follows a different route. Did you never have a vcr ?

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 13:17:26 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

Graham,
    I will not continue to press the point as it is obvious that you have a blind spot to the design of User Manuals, so I believe have Humax if the Manual for this model is anything to go by.
    The "Quick start Guide" should be just that, aiding the many customers who are unaware of connection methods.
    By reviewing/correcting the Manual Humax/Dealers/Customers would save a great deal of problems & money.
    I rest my case, no more Posts!

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 13:29:38 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

johnooooo - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Graham,
    I will not continue to press the point as it is obvious that you have a blind spot to the design of User Manuals, so I believe have Humax if the Manual for this model is anything to go by.
    The "Quick start Guide" should be just that, aiding the many customers who are unaware of connection methods.
    By reviewing/correcting the Manual Humax/Dealers/Customers would save a great deal of problems & money.
    I rest my case, no more Posts!

There are hundreds of posts about lack of rf throughput giving no TV picture. It's a requirement of EEC law that to reduce sby consumption that a low power sby mode is required (now stands at 0.5W), to do this the rf loop amp is turned off. Not a single post in all these hundreds ever failed to recognise you actually need to connect an aerial to the TV. I rather think that puts you in a very tiny minority.

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 13:55:45 #14 |
  5. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

The HDR is designed to be ON whilst you are watching TV to allow the use of its time-shifting features hence the need for the RF IN and HDMI leads. In this mode it does not need the RF loop-through so it is not required to be in the manual.

The manual for your TV should state that in order to receive programmes on it's internal tuner you would need an aerial connection. Therefore if you wish to watch TV from the TV's internal tuner and lose the benefit of time-shifting you need the RF loop cable.

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 19:34:32 #15 |
  6. SuburbanSteve

SuburbanSteve

Doh (slaps palm to forhead) I did not have a lead from the out on the box to the tv just the hdmi cable, when I fitted one and followed what Barry said it worked perfectly so a big thanx to you guys for the help

| Fri 15 Mar 2013 19:43:51 #16 |
  7. rkm_hm

Watt Tyler

SuburbanSteve - 1 week ago  » 
    Doh (slaps palm to forhead) I did not have a lead from the out on the box to the tv just the hdmi cable, when I fitted one and followed what Barry said it worked perfectly so a big thanx to you guys for the help

Indeed. Humax clearly believe that most users will ONLY watch TV through the PVR - in order to use its advanced features like pausing live TV and, of course, to watch HD transmissions if the TV doesn't have an HD tuner. The Quick Start guide only really caters for such users - who DON'T need an RF cable between the RF-out socket and the TV.

Those who want to use it in a different way need to read the full manual, not just the Quick Start Guide. Page 6 talks about connecting RF-out and Page 57 makes it clear that this isn't powered on standby unless Power Save on Standby is turned OFF.

To watch TV with the PVR turned off clearly requires the use of the TV's own tuner (not needed in the 'normal' mode, where the TV is used purely as a monitor). And the tuner requires an aerial feed! But, most of the time, there's little point in doing this.

One time when it IS useful is if you want to watch one channel live at the same time as recording two other channels - all on different multiplexes.

WT

| Thu 28 Mar 2013 0:27:44 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.