My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

What are the best options for Dynamic Refresh?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give an idea of what the options are for in Dynamic Refresh Rate Switch and how it effects the Aura?

The manual doesn't seem to mention it either so i assume it must be something added later on?

There are options: low, med and high but what does that do exactly? if you select low or med then 1080 for live TV is greyed out but set to off but if you choose high 1080 for live TV is on?
    Match frame rate is greyed out for these options.

Does display notification just tell you that the refresh has changed? i don't think i have noticed that on mine?

Is the time delay jusy how long the notification stays on telling you that it's changed if the above is correct?

You can of course pick custom, but is this best set to custom or one of the default, low, med & high settings?

In general might high be the best option as it sets 1080 in live TV to on out of the 3 options?

Any advice would be great.

James

| Mon 23 Aug 2021 8:42:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

Good question I would be interested also, there are quite a few settings/options such as this that it would be helpful to have more of an explanation of in the user manual along with suggested settings.

| Tue 24 Aug 2021 8:36:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

I have just found a newer manual online that now includes info about Dynamic Refresh.

Below is what humax say:

• Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching: Automatically switch
    to the content’s original frame rate. If you are not familiar
    with these settings, you can select
    Low, Medium or High.
    According to three options,
    1080 for Live TV, 60Hz for all
    apps
    and Match Frame Rate for all apps are automatically
    changed. To customise resolutions or frame rates, set to
    Custom.
    Note: that this option is enabled only when
    HDMI
    Resolution
    is set to Auto.
    • 1080 for Live TV: Set to Off to watch TV with native
    resolution variable for each content. If set to
    On, all live
    TV content will be displayed in 1080 resolution.

60Hz for all apps: Set to Off to watch content within
    apps at frame rate variable for each content. If set to
    On,
    content will be displayed at fixed frame rate 60Hz.
    • Match Frame Rate for all apps: Set to Auto to watch
    content at its original frame rate, or 50/60Hz to watch
    content at 50/60Hz only.
    • Notification: Set to On to display the resolution information of current content.
    • Time Delay: Set the time delay. Even though resolution change occurs, the system keeps the
    current resolution for a few seconds to help compare the resolution change.

| Wed 25 Aug 2021 9:28:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

james_uk - 28 mins ago  » 
    I have just found a newer manual online that now includes info about Dynamic Refresh.
    Below is what humax say:
    • Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching: Automatically switch
    to the content’s original frame rate. If you are not familiar
    with these settings, you can select
    Low, Medium or High.
    According to three options,
    1080 for Live TV, 60Hz for all
    apps
    and Match Frame Rate for all apps are automatically
    changed. To customise resolutions or frame rates, set to
    Custom.

It doesn't explain the difference between low med and high?

| Wed 25 Aug 2021 9:58:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

It doesn't no, I'm not too sure myself how they would mean low med and high.

I am using high myself due to the fact that it's the only option that has 1080 for live TV set to on and match frame rate seems to give more options, but I'm only guessing that might be the better option to go with.

| Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:07:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

Its all very odd isn't it not user friendly.

| Wed 25 Aug 2021 10:45:53 #6 |
  7. Mars

Mars

special member

If you set low, medium, or high then it sets particular values for the options below in the menu. Basically, if you choose high then the refresh rate will change more often than if you choose low. It depends how much having the correct refresh rate matters versus the inconvenience of frequent changes of the refresh rate.

| Wed 25 Aug 2021 16:00:50 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ash21

Given how things are set up in the UK in relation to TV broadcasts and how the UK-based streaming services are (not Netflix and Amazon) . I would actually recommend most users have this setting set to low in most circumstances. Low means that the Aura will switch between 50/60 Hz as required. With the advent of smart TVs most UK TV sets also do this is required as well.

If you have the refresh rate setting set higher than low it will just annoy you, as it will change too often, and the more often it has to change, the more likely it is to cause HDMI HDCP issues.

UK-based streaming services such as iPlayer and Now use 25 FPS content American streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon will use in the 24 or 30 FPS content. In some circumstances, the refresh rate of the display does not have to precisely match the refresh/frame rate of the content being played. You are fine if the refresh rate of the display divides equally into the refresh rate/frame rate of the content being played so in the case of content on UK based services, you would be fine with the refresh rate of 50 Hz as the content being played is either 25 FPS or in the case of some sports content 50 FPS with American services like Netflix using the low setting will result in the Aura switching to 60 Hz. In my experience 24 FPS content causes virtually no problems when the display refresh rate is 60 Hz

The auto adjust refresh rate function on the Aura may seem more complicated than most, but actually it is one of the best implementations I have seen of this functionality on any device . Once you know what you're doing that is. I think other manufacturers should start implementing it in the same way as the current implementation on Roku has Roku devices switching that often that will quite regularly cause HDCP issues

I hope this helps explain things

| Sat 28 Aug 2021 14:51:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Thanks Ash-21 that a great explanation and i shall try it on low as i had opted to leave mine on high.

I must admit there has been the odd couple of times when my screen has gone black and not changed back to a visible picture which has led me to having to restart it to get it working.

Not sure if that was linked to me having it set to high though but could have been.

| Sat 28 Aug 2021 19:01:18 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.