My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

What CPU/Memory does the 4000T & 5000T have?

(14 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Does anyone know what CPU and Memory/Cache are fitted to the 4000T and 5000T models (the same I believe) and has anyone ever looked at the possibility of an upgrade?

Thanks.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 18:39:49 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would guess there is not much spare for anything ease other than to service the designed functions. If you upgraded it I do not imagine it would achieve anything.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 19:39:52 #2 |
  3. prking

prking

I seem to remember that Humax use Broadcom chipsets.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 20:28:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davidrew - 5 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know what CPU and Memory/Cache are fitted to the 4000T and 5000T models (the same I believe) and has anyone ever looked at the possibility of an upgrade?

I would say the chance of an upgrade is zero. The Humax PVRs use special chipsets designed for PVR applications.

| Fri 12 Jun 2020 0:09:49 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

It would be interesting to know exactly what David hopes to achieve by upgrading the CPU/memory.

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 9:16:46 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

If it was possible to upgrade, I would hope it might improve the speed of response of the GUI and possibly cut down on the crashes. But it probably wouldn't. As it is unlikely that an upgrade is possible, I won't be worrying about it.

| Sat 13 Jun 2020 10:45:18 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

EEPhil - 1 day ago  » 
    If it was possible to upgrade, I would hope it might improve the speed of response of the GUI and possibly cut down on the crashes. But it probably wouldn't. As it is unlikely that an upgrade is possible, I won't be worrying about it.

It's likely to be the cpu that's underpowered, rather than the peripherals.

No way to change this.

Similar units using the android FVP system (4K firestick for instance), have quad core processors. The 4K firestick though has no tuners, so can only use streaming sources.

No idea what Humax are planning.

There are other similar units already available including one from V-box that has an extra processor core and a increased clock speed.

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 19:51:23 #7 |
  8. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I was just throwing the idea out there. Unfortunately for me I just want things to work as they should and want to fix them if they don't. I already have workarounds to power reset the box every 24 hours to avoid days of missed recordings when the box hangs, and another to ensure the EPG is updated daily.

I'm from an IT background, mostly infrastructure and UNIX, and have always strived to provide customers with fast reliable systems. I have been involved with many projects over the years to identify and fix existing poor performing systems which can often involve many additional factors other than the kit actually doing the number crunching.

From a technical perspective there is no reason why the 4000T/5000T should not be effortless to use. With my professional hat on I can exclude my internet connection (very fast and reliable), network (Humax directly wired to Gigabit switch, connected to Gigabit managed backbone switch, no errors or resource issues reported). Other devices on the same network, such as the TV, Xbox work fine, so this only leaves the number crunching bit, the Humax box.

Usually I would then look to engage the OS and application software vendors to see if any patches, config changes, or updated releases may fix the issues. There appears to be radio silence from Humax so based on the assumption the box is now running legacy code the only option left is a hardware (CPU and/or memory) fix, or the option to migrate to new properly supported equivalent platform.

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 23:17:53 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikeatupwey

Interesting post. What puzzles me is why these boxes seem to be deteriorating in performance. My 4000t was replaced under warranty and the replacement box whilst not lightening fast was reasonable. But over the last 6 months or so it has become laggy with very slow responses to the remote. On top of that the catch up players are pretty much useless. There is no obvious reason why so many of us seem to be suffering from the boxes poor performance. Very poor that Humax seemed to have abandoned these models at a relatively early stage.

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 8:51:35 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mikeatupwey - 40 mins ago  » 
    On top of that the catch up players are pretty much useless.

Have you tried the catch up players recently? You have to be very patient (several minutes) if you haven't used ITV Hub or All4 for a while (my guess is that the app is silently updating itself with very little indication of anything happening) and then the first time used the performance is dreadful but subsequently it becomes acceptable.

I haven't noticed my FVP-5000T getting any slower; you could try a reset to default to see if that helps.

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 9:37:28 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.