My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

What do people think of the Manhatten T4-R

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, I have seen a few reviews and first looks at this new box from Manhattan. What are people's initial thoughts on it in comparison with the Aura?
    Like like it's set to be released possibly July/August.
    one of the features I can't find mentioned, is how many tuners it's got and how many programmes it can record at a time. This would probably be the main things for me at the T3-R could only record 2 at once. So I'm hoping the new T4-R can match the Aura.

Regards
    James

| Wed 28 Jun 2023 20:17:34 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi james_uk,

Welcome to Humax forum.

Have you read this link?:

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/first-look-manhattan-t4-r-freeview-box/

It hasn't been released yet, hopefully sometime in August. Not sure if the box will record more than 2 channels, I can't see any info on this, but might be worth you contacting Manhatten to find out more details. The box interface for the T3 is very much like the Youview EPG screen plus extra features, but still no Remote App. John L

| Thu 29 Jun 2023 16:56:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

james_uk - 21 hours ago  » 
    I have seen a few reviews

Where did you see the reviews?
    Where they real reviews of just click bat created from some publicity blurb?

What are people's initial thoughts on it in comparison with the Aura?

The information is too scant on T4-R for now and so perhaps better the devil you know?

Like like it's set to be released possibly July/August.

Their web site currently states August 2023. It's been updated at least a couple of times.

one of the features I can't find mentioned, is how many tuners it's got and how many programmes it can record at a time. This would probably be the main things for me at the T3-R could only record 2 at once. So I'm hoping the new T4-R can match the Aura.

A couple of iterations ago on the T4-R page of the Manhattan's web site it did state that they were expecting the non-hardware dependant improvements of the T4-R on to the T3-R and stated that the T3-r would feel like a new machine. Obviously that backward porting doesn't include having more than 2 tuners, but if I were in the market for a replacement PVRs a second hand T3-R may win out over the Aura or T4-R, but until we get some firm details of the T4-R and also the updates to the T3-R it's all a bit too vague for me to compare.

| Thu 29 Jun 2023 20:42:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rafletcher

Just had an update, and it’s disappointing. Only “record 2 and watch one” programmes, so twin tuners like the T3-r. Release date now Jan-Feb 24. Can’t help feeling they missed the boat with the hardware update. I guess with so much on catch-up they don’t feel the need to add a third tuner.

| Fri 8 Dec 2023 17:15:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Well I can only speak about the T3-R model. I recently managed to purchase one used & so far very impressed! The operating system is clearly very well thought out. Many attention to detail features: green icon showing on epg that tv programme was previously scheduled, but not recorded again, more enhanced option to enable you to skip an epsisode to avoid a clash & not have to cancel all series scheduled, there's a trash bin, so if you change your mind, you can retrieve recording/s. Compares well to the Youview pvr, but without title icons on recording tabs. I think the newer model has a cleaner interface, but maybe Manhattan will also update older models inc. T3-R with same interface/features?

The newer T4-R looks like it will be future proof equipped for the new internet channels coming next year. Hopefully new model T4-R will be as good, if not a more improved experience. But from what I can read, still only records 2 channels. Might be mainly due to overloading processor? But I would have thought a Quad core processor would cope well, depends on hard drive. Will the new T4-R have a SSD drive or still be using a SATA 2.5 hard drive?

I find that sometimes the T3-R can be slightly sluggish when fast fwd/rwd at 32/64 on playback while recording 2 channels at same time. But overall I think Manhattan have a brilliant pvr design. But still waiting the EPG universal search & also the Mobile App. Humax you have serious competition! John L

| Sun 10 Dec 2023 9:50:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

jdlfreetime - 3 hours ago  » 
    I think the newer model has a cleaner interface, but maybe Manhattan will also update older models inc. T3-R with same interface/features?
    The newer T4-R looks like it will be future proof equipped for the new internet channels coming next year. Hopefully new model T4-R will be as good, if not a more improved experience. But from what I can read, still only records 2 channels. Might be mainly due to overloading processor? But I would have thought a Quad core processor would cope well, depends on hard drive. Will the new T4-R have a SSD drive or still be using a SATA 2.5 hard drive?
    I find that sometimes the T3-R can be slightly sluggish when fast fwd/rwd at 32/64 on playback while recording 2 channels at same time. But overall I think Manhattan have a brilliant pvr design. But still waiting the EPG universal search & also the Mobile App. Humax you have serious competition! John L

Just before Manhattan placed its announcement on its web site that the T4-R/T4 would be arriving in July 2023 it did include a bit of detail concerning the T4-R which also had a mention of the T3-R. What they posted was that they would be back porting the non-hardware new functionality to the T3-R and that this would make the T3-R look, and feel, like a new machine. Personally I think that was a little optimistic and that cord busters comparatively watered down version was more realistic.
    Hopefully, if Manhattan do manage to back port functionality to the T3-R it won't significantly slow the T3-R performance.

But from what I can read, still only records 2 channels.

As rafletcher posted in post #4, Manhattan has confirmed that the T4-R is a 2 tuner recorder, or at least the equivalent of one. On the Manhattan website, for the T4-R it does state: "the ability to record two programmes while you watch a third".

...the T3-R... But still waiting the EPG universal search & also the Mobile App.

As it was 6 months ago, or more, that Manhattan had on their website that initially T4-R will not have a remote app, I do wonder if that as now progressed, (and I do know that the cord busters have recently re-stated that it won't be included initially).

| Sun 10 Dec 2023 14:04:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

Will it have DLNA?

| Sun 10 Dec 2023 20:26:57 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.