My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Which DTR Humax unit?

(47 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Am I right in thinking the Youview boxes are not DLNA compliant? This omission would be a big thumbs down for me and many other consumers.

The HDR 1000s has DLNA capabilities it that it can act as a client but still not the promised server. I now use my TV for this service as (a) it's more convenient and (b) I got fed up of waiting for Humax to do something.

| Sat 19 Jul 2014 12:23:24 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Am I right in thinking the Youview boxes are not DLNA compliant?
    Correct.

| Sat 19 Jul 2014 12:48:21 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

GH80

Thanks Guys.

Sounds to me like HDR Fox T2 and Roku 3 are probably the way to go then. I can't see any benefits to getting the new Youview box.

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 12:31:19 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Wallace - 1 week ago  » 
    IFAIK, the Roku does not record. I use mine to stream music, photo's etc from my PC. It's also great for YouTube.
    I chose the Roku 3 because it has an Ethernet connection as well as wifi, plus a faster processor. For the price, I think it is a great piece of kit. I also have an AppleTV 3 (I am a bit of an Apple geek), however, the Roku is so good, I have disconnected the AppleTV and put it back in it's box!

Whilst Roku may be good, given you're a Apple geek (your words ) your decision to remove your ATV has me puzzled. How do you stream material from iTunes to your TV without your ATV?

I myself have a numer of streaming options but still need my ATV for airplay and iTunes.

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 12:49:34 #34 |
  5. Wallace

Wallace

special member

I don't stream videos to my TV from my Apple TV. I have a Bosé Soundock 10 and have that connected directly to my AirPort Express which in turn, is connected to my AirPort Extreme. I AirPlay my music from my iPad/iPhone via the AirPort Express. I also have a Synology NAS containing my photos/videos and I can stream from that to the Rocku if I wish. All devices are connected via Ethernet (apart fron the iPad/iPhone).

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 13:00:01 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Wallace - 2 hours ago  » 
    I don't stream videos to my TV from my Apple TV. I have a Bosé Soundock 10 and have that connected directly to my AirPort Express which in turn, is connected to my AirPort Extreme. I AirPlay my music from my iPad/iPhone via the AirPort Express. I also have a Synology NAS containing my photos/videos and I can stream from that to the Rocku if I wish. All devices are connected via Ethernet (apart fron the iPad/iPhone).

I too have a Synology NAS (great bit of kit). However, that doesn't get round the issue of playing all the films and TV series purchased through iTunes. Added to which whilst the Synology is great, the iTunes server is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. My TV has smart capabilities, my Humax is DLNA capable and I also have the Sonos system. If you add my iPad, ATV etc. into the mix, I think the Roku might be overkill.

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 15:21:07 #36 |
  7. Wallace

Wallace

special member

I have only ever purchase films/TV series via iTunes to play on my iPad while I am away from home. I do not stream films/video from iTunes to anything.

I do not use the iTunes server on the Synology.

The Synology is used as a backup device, mainly. So it contains all my media. My software backs everything from my PC up every day automatically.

The Roku is used for catchup services and YouTube, plus to display my photo's stored on my NAS.

My set up suits my needs and works well but I do appreciate that it perhaps in not the 'normal' way to do things.

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 15:49:07 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Wallace - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have only ever purchase films/TV series via iTunes to play on my iPad while I am away from home. I do not stream films/video from iTunes to anything.
    I do not use the iTunes server on the Synology.
    The Synology is used as a backup device, mainly. So it contains all my media. My software backs everything from my PC up every day automatically.
    The Roku is used for catchup services and YouTube, plus to display my photo's stored on my NAS.
    My set up suits my needs and works well but I do appreciate that it perhaps in not the 'normal' way to do things.

Obviously it's what works for you, everyone's needs are different. Since I have got my smart TV one of my favourite ways to consume media is via a thumb drive left plugged into the TV. I put a numer of films or TV series onto the drive and that way it's instantly available on tap in good HD quality.

What's currently on the Roku apart from the main catchup services?

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 18:42:51 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jstallan

Don't currently have access to my ROKU LT for a few days but this is how ROKU explain it https://www.roku.com/uk/whats-on

Personally all I have on mine is iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD , demand 5 and Plex (which is the main purpose of the device for me).

Pretty sure you can add a number of weird and wacky channels from the menu, some free and some for a small fee. I seem to recall Flixster being one, NOWTV another and some Sky Store thingy (memory fading with age).

| Mon 21 Jul 2014 16:24:59 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

GH80

Hi guys.

So i invested in a HDR Fox T2 off ebay under your trusty guidance and think its AMAZING so thanks for that. Stupid question but if i set it up to record can i completely turn the unit off or should i leave it on??

| Wed 23 Jul 2014 17:42:39 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.