My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Which Freesat box do I get?

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I know for a fact that John Lewis, Currys etc do not.

John Lewis Liverpool 1 had one up and running some time ago and I'm pretty sure they had one running when I bought mine from the Trafford Centre, though that was last year.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 14:12:42 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

John Lewis have the new FreeTime Panasonic TVs on display, I believe. That would at least let you see the EPG, as it's the same on the FreeTime sat boxes.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 14:45:17 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    John Lewis have the new FreeTime Panasonic TVs on display, I believe. That would at least let you see the EPG, as it's the same on the FreeTime sat boxes.

Excellent suggestion - I hadn't thought of it.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 16:21:53 #23 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Whilst the Panasonic freetime TV is a good suggestion the EPG can be pitifully slow to display, and jump forward/back etc comparing to a freesat unit. It will give you an idea of what it looks like though.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 17:03:52 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Thank you.

When I visited John Lewis in Peterborough, they told me that the reason that don't show any Freesat boxes set up, is because they don't have a dish. And to get a dish feeding loads of TVs and Freesat boxes, would cost them a fortune. They also suggested that they'd need a special licence. How true that is, I don't know. I did suggest the Panasonic, but again they said nothing was set up.

They are not doing themselves, or Freesat any favours. If the Humax boxes, and the Panasonic TVs were all up and running, I'm sure their sales figures would shoot up!

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 20:14:10 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

MontysEvilTwin - 1 day ago  » 
    The low power standby on Sky boxes is pretty useless. Scheduled recordings don't work in this mode and it takes about 5 minutes for the box to boot up.

Sorry I forgot to reply...My Sky box takes 2-3 seconds to boot up from amber light to green. Or, was the box not really in a standby mode in the first place? The box is about 5 years old.

In the Freesat video, the very nice young lady, walks into the room and hits the standby button of the Humax remote control, which then boots up almost immediately! Is this really the case?

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 20:47:15 #26 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Ranger176 - 43 minutes ago  » 

The low power standby on Sky boxes is pretty useless. Scheduled recordings don't work in this mode and it takes about 5 minutes for the box to boot up.

Sorry I forgot to reply...My Sky box takes 2-3 seconds to boot up from amber light to green. Or, was the box not really in a standby mode in the first place? The box is about 5 years old.
    In the Freesat video, the very nice young lady, walks into the room and hits the standby button of the Humax remote control, which then boots up almost immediately! Is this really the case?

Yep correct, your sky box was never really in standby and from what I've read elewhere it uses around 19watts in standby.
    The HDR1000/1010s takes around 35 seconds to get to the point where your able to change channel or navigate menus.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 21:38:32 #27 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

-gonzo- - 9 minutes ago  » 

Ranger176 - 43 minutes ago  » 

Yep correct, your sky box was never really in standby and from what I've read elewhere it uses around 19watts in standby.
    The HDR1000/1010s takes around 35 seconds to get to the point where your able to change channel or navigate menus.

And uses the normal required < 0.5W standby.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 21:49:06 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.