My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Which Freesat Unit Should I Buy?

(8 posts)
  1. Kekerusey

Kekerusey

Hi,

I've just quit Sky (multiroom) and am looking for something with no subscription instead. Everything I've read suggests that Humax is the way to go.

Given that we had Sky and we have a reduced Freeview channel local transmitter the main boxes I am interested in are the 1000S, the 1010 and the 1100S.

We will still have multiroom but Freesat style ... my biggest problem revolves around whether the machine can support useful apps (such as Netflix or Amazon Prime) or not, whether it even supports them. It doesn't matter much for me as I have a computer attached to my TV as well so I can happily switch between PC, console, blu-ray and Freesat; it does matter for my wife she complains when things get too complex (technology-wise) so for her I really want TV access to be via one machine (if possible).

Essentially, while I understand the concepts involved, I'm a bit confused about the finer details such as app support. Do all of these machines support applications? On RicherSounds the listed specs imply that only the 1010 supports apps and then it might only be BBC iPlayer). Does anyone know if any of the machines support apps and, if so, how do I find out which apps are supported (available)?

In essence I suppose this is a question cncerning the difference between these machines, which I should buy and why?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Keke

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 19:45:35 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Kekerusey - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    I've just quit Sky (multiroom) and am looking for something with no subscription instead. Everything I've read suggests that Humax is the way to go.
    Given that we had Sky and we have a reduced Freeview channel local transmitter the main boxes I am interested in are the 1000S, the 1010 and the 1100S.
    We will still have multiroom but Freesat style ... my biggest problem revolves around whether the machine can support useful apps or not, whether it even supports them. It doesn't matter much for me as I have a computer attached to my TV as well so I can happily switch between PC, console, blu-ray and Freesat; it does matter for my wife she complains when things get too complex (technology-wise) so for her I really want TV access to be via one machine (if possible).
    Essentially, while I understand the concepts involved, I'm a bit confused about the finer details such as app support. Do all of these machines support applications? On RicherSounds the listed specs imply that only the 1010 supports apps and then it might only be BBC iPlayer). Does anyone know if any of the machines support apps and, if so, how do I find out which apps are supported (available)?
    In essence I suppose this is a question cncerning the difference between these machines, which I should buy and why?
    Keke

There are no differenced between the units you mention. They all offer the same choices. The HDT1100S is smaller. That and the HDR-1010S sport Wifi.

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 19:56:45 #2 |
  3. Kekerusey

Kekerusey

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 

Kekerusey - 9 minutes ago  » 
    There are no differenced between the units you mention. They all offer the same choices. The HDT1100S is smaller. That and the HDR-1010S sport Wifi.

Thanks ... do you know where I can find out which applications are available?

Keke

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 20:02:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum.

Essentially all 3 are identical apart from minor differences (mostly cosmetic - form factor, box colour etc) and connectivity.

All of them have the same On Demand services and the same User Interface (They even share the same software),

The original HDR 1000S (in the best Henry Ford tradition you can have any colour you like, provided it's black ). It has no built in WiFi but a WiFi dongle can provide wireless connections if you need it). There are other ways as well using the Ethernet port like a wireless bridge. In common with the near identical 1010S you get a RGB scart connection and RCA Phono analogue composite video and analog audio outputs.

HDR1010S is white and adds built in WiFi

HDR1100S deletes the scart socket (retains the composite outputs) has built in WiFi like the 1010S.

Hope this helps.

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 20:10:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Kekerusey - 37 minutes ago  » 
    ... this is a question cncerning the difference between these machines, which I should buy and why?
    Keke

For a summary of the features which differ between models see post #2 at http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/choice-of-model.6487/

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 20:25:12 #5 |
  6. Kekerusey

Kekerusey

Thx guys,

So in order to access apps I go to the "On Demand section - Home - On Demand" and the following applications are there by default:

* BBC iPlayer
    * ITV Player
    * All4 on Freesat
    * Demand 5
    * YouTube
    * Curzon Home Cinema
    * Hopster
    * BBC SPORT
    * BBC News

That's right yes? I looked up the Netflix rumours and found this Freesat in talks with Netflix, Amazon (dated 8 Aug 2014). So that hasn't happened yet over a year later? From what I gather Netflix doesn't seem to be interested in Freesat because there aren't enough of us.

Keke

| Sat 10 Oct 2015 22:24:57 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Kekerusey - 12 hours ago  » 
    Thx guys,
    So in order to access apps I go to the "On Demand section - Home - On Demand" and the following applications are there by default:
    * BBC iPlayer
    * ITV Player
    * All4 on Freesat
    * Demand 5
    * YouTube
    * Curzon Home Cinema
    * Hopster
    * BBC SPORT
    * BBC News
    That's right yes? I looked up the Netflix rumours and found this Freesat in talks with Netflix, Amazon (dated 8 Aug 2014). So that hasn't happened yet over a year later? From what I gather Netflix doesn't seem to be interested in Freesat because there aren't enough of us.
    Keke

You are looking in the wrong place

https://recombu.com/digital/article/netflix-humax-narcos-jessica-jones

| Sun 11 Oct 2015 10:26:25 #7 |
  8. Kekerusey

Kekerusey

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » You are looking in the wrong place
    https://recombu.com/digital/article/netflix-humax-narcos-jessica-jones

Thx Graham.

I think we will probably buy the 1100S (2x).

Keke

| Tue 13 Oct 2015 10:10:50 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.