My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Which replacement drive?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Hi,

has anyone else pulled their defective drive out of their 1000S to find they had a seagate drive?

I've only seen references to wd drives which need to be replaced with model wd20eurs.

My drive is a seagate pipeline hd st1000vm002.

These are still available. Am I best to replace like for like or go for the different manufacturer?

Many thanks,

Alan..

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 19:51:17 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Alanm1969 - 36 minutes ago  » 
    has anyone else pulled their defective drive out of their 1000S to find they had a seagate drive?

Are you sure it is the drive that has failed and not the known hardware issue that stops the box recognising the drive?

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 20:29:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Martin

It is a long time since I followed those threads in detail but I did post a while back with my issues

I think I have had the whole gamut of issues

Pop up saying reformat that reformat if you say cancel
    Recordings disappearing and then reappearing
    Etc etc with increasing regularity

I popped out the original disk and since then no issues.

Well, except that I used a normal desktop pic disk rather than av/ce one so we get hanging issues on playback

Hence my query about replacement disk!

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 22:11:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Alan,
    all the drives I've pulled out from other Humax products have been Seagate pipeline/video some made in China some in Thailand.

I've mainly kept myself out of the AV drive debate, suffice to say if you choose correctly then you can't go wrong. I have a desktop 2TB running virtually 24/7 for over 5 years in a hdrfoxT2 with no problems.

Apparently it's possible to record 4 HD channels or 3 HD and playback a HD recording on the fvp4000t so the drive has never been the bottleneck regardless of whether it has a bit of error correction or not.

You shouldn't be getting hanging issues on playback regardless of drive type, unless the drive is well on its way out or more likely the well known hardware problem that Martin referred to.

Ideally you'd put the old AV drive and the desktop drive in your PC or similar if possible and check the SMART stats. You may find both drives are error free or may have errors (my guess is that they're fine).

If there are no errors then replacing the drive doesn't seem to be the answer. I don't have the right answer, but in answer to your original question, by all means use any slower sata, 5400, 5900rpm, green, intellispeed etc. etc. drive with it, borrow one if you can

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 23:58:56 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.