My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Why 2000T Needs A Reboot To Recognise Hard Drive?

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Minstrel SE - 9 hours ago  » ...I will be buying another brand in future and carefully checking it is fit for purpose

It would certainly be wise to scrutinise any claims as to future provision of features. Humax never delivered on a server facility on the 1000/1010/1100s boxes, and Barry has confirmed that the box is not capable so a server will not happen. The gestation period for the 1000 was about 2 years before it was stable and free of major bugs, the 4000T is heading that way, so any future purchase will be delayed as long as possible after release of a new product. The new business model is not working for the customer.

| Sat 1 Apr 2017 12:43:43 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

I contacted Humax via email last week & after i explained the problem they said the only thing they could try was replacing the 1800T.

The replacement came on Wednesday last week & all was ok after tuning in etc.

But as of Friday, it started doing the same thing........Media button does nothing & cannot access the data storage in the system settings. I have to put it into standby to get it to access the media, but the other day i had to remove the PSU before it would give me access to the media.

Humax support were very helpful, but it's clear that this unit has a problem.

| Sun 9 Apr 2017 16:41:54 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

fluffy54 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I contacted Humax via email last week & after i explained the problem they said the only thing they could try was replacing the 1800T.
    The replacement came on Wednesday last week & all was ok after tuning in etc.
    But as of Friday, it started doing the same thing........Media button does nothing & cannot access the data storage in the system settings. I have to put it into standby to get it to access the media, but the other day i had to remove the PSU before it would give me access to the media.
    Humax support were very helpful, but it's clear that this unit has a problem.

The chances of you having the same fault twice on the same model are lower than zero I would contend. I would therefore be looking at your setup and in particular the wake HDMI handshake as something is clearly amiss.

You say that you didn't set up a manual wake-up on your old box but you were experiencing the same fault as I had on my 2000T when I had set a manual wake-up. The manual wake-up I had set was interfering with the normal HDMI handshake in some way and I would suggest that is what is happening in your set up.

I would remove all other equipment apart from your Humax and the TV and see what happens then. Oh and do make sure you have CEC disabled on the TV.

| Sun 9 Apr 2017 22:51:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

Thank you Faust. I will try what you suggest when time permits.

CEC is disabled, it is called "Simplink" on my LG tv........have never used it.

Thank you again.

| Tue 11 Apr 2017 14:46:28 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I just wanted to add a comment in response to a few comments that Humax were helpful.

I didnt find them helpful at all and others have reported the same.

Generic blase comments along the lines of oh really take it back then were no good to me when its already been stated that others were getting just as noisy replacements.

Reformatting it turned out to be nonsense advice as well given what I proved later

Is the new one going to be ok? are they all like that? was the guidance they could have helped me with

Another comment they said was "ours in the office is ok"....like Im getting a reply from children who just want to move on. I felt I was being treated like a lowest common denominator customer that should know better than to expect anything for £150.

Would you make that reply to a customer?...well mines fine..Its like rubbing it in that my issue wont spoil their day.. so they want me to take pot luck or go whistle for it do they?

I would have expected them to take an interest from both the customer service department and technical department.

Having opened it and seen the cheap build quality of the drive mounting and thin casing its no wonder the unit resonates the noise right out. It actually acts like an amplifier at resonant frequencies through the lid and unit.

The drive itself isnt particularly quiet so I suspect those are being built to a base line cost. However its given no chance in that casing and the noise is made worse enough to cause complaints. There is no damping of the drive or noise shielding at all.

Im not talking about noise that only obsessives can hear. Im talking about noise that can be heard quite clarly 7+ metres away or through in my kitchen

It seems clear to me that they know there are going to be noise issues but arent about to recall or replace large batches of them.

I wasnt wrong and the noise when watching the TV was completely distracting.

Anyway I wont forget and another manufacturer can have my business the next time. Its a shame because Humax have lost my respect

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 7:36:05 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi Minstrel SE

Myself and few other people I know as bought the Humax 2000T and don't have the have the noisy hard drive problem like your saying.
    All hard drives even in laptops will make some sort noise because its a moving part.

Cant you try ether soundproofing it yourself and let everyone know how you get on, or just get another make and sell yours on ebay, which maybe the best solution.

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 12:38:13 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes I have a noise thread where I have been inside it and reduced the noise. Ive been busy but am due to fit a rubber and metal washer damper combo which will isolate the hardrive a bit.

I have sound proofed the casing but it mainly needed damping where the lid connects as the lid had been acting like a membrane amplifier

With the greatest of respect bill63 I have installed a few hard drives and listened to enough hard drives to know the noise levels. I know they make some operational noise. However I expect that to be quiet and not obtrusive.

Thats what shocked me about the 2000T because it was distracting me and I could even hear it in another room. Quite a few people have given it bad reviews because of this.

As proved on the other thread thay made different versions and removed all the shielding and drive damping in the later units...ok they removed the fan but the hard drive noise negated any benefits of that

I proved the design floors by reducing the noise myself... a job that I shouldnt have had to do.

Anyway my main niggle above was the poor level of customer service I received.

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 21:19:38 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi Minstrel SE

I think myself this machine as been giving you so much grief now over the last few months that its making you really paranoid.

If I were you I would go out and try and get a new machine and ether throw it in the bin or get some money back and sell it on ebay and let someone else put up with it if its that bad.

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 21:41:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I know what you are saying bill63 because its the first product in a long while that has given me grief.

I like to think I choose products very well. I wouldnt say its made me paranoid but it has upset me and I keep coming back to the forum every other week. The issue of subjectivity has been used against me so maybe it does wind me up in a paranoid way for that reason

Ok it doesnt help to go on about it but I needed to comment that the customer service wasnt up to scratch. We may well live in a send it back world now but a good few people have raised this issue. Im not the only one and comments are dotted all over here and other review sites.

Ive sorted it so it operates at an acceptable noise level. Having seen inside its no wonder this was an issue. I suspect its every later version but I will never know for sure. Maybe the hard drives got worse in batches but the unit became acceptable when tested with the lid off. There was clearly some combination of design and build quality problems.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 17:39:47 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

fluffy54 - 2 weeks ago  » 
    Thank you Faust. I will try what you suggest when time permits.
    CEC is disabled, it is called "Simplink" on my LG tv........have never used it.
    Thank you again.

I tried disconnecting all of my other equipment which left only the 1800T and the TV connected. Still the same......no access to the recorded media until it's rebooted.

What I have noticed is, when booting the 1800T it sometimes boots in a matter of around 10 to 15 seconds. Other times it takes almost a minute. When it boots quickly, I have no access to the recorded media. When it boots slowly, I have access to the recorded media.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that it did not record a scheduled recording.......presumably because I did not boot it before the program was due to be recorded.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 20:24:17 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.