My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Why, No AVI?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

piptwin

Hi

Getting on well with my new 1100s after a few troubles which were very kindly helped out by the folks on here.
    Just bought a new hard drive today, to connect to my fibre router/server and I am quite happily adding files to it, which I can then watch on the Humax. Problem is, it will show all files which are AVI, in the list with all the other titles, but it will not play them. It just says "file not supported" or words to that affect. Do I need to convert these to another file type…and with what software (for Mac). Had a go at converting one file with VLC, but that was just the same.

I am wanting to put all my home movie recordings (currently on Dvd/Bluray) on there, but have the feeling that I may have same issues.

Help anyone?

Thanks

Pip

| Sat 15 Aug 2015 19:24:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

piptwin - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    Getting on well with my new 1100s after a few troubles which were very kindly helped out by the folks on here.
    Just bought a new hard drive today, to connect to my fibre router/server and I am quite happily adding files to it, which I can then watch on the Humax. Problem is, it will show all files which are AVI, in the list with all the other titles, but it will not play them. It just says "file not supported" or words to that affect. Do I need to convert these to another file type…and with what software (for Mac). Had a go at converting one file with VLC, but that was just the same.
    I am wanting to put all my home movie recordings (currently on Dvd/Bluray) on there, but have the feeling that I may have same issues.
    Help anyone?
    Thanks
    Pip

Convert to MP4 with Handbrake - works well. However, I personally do not find the Humax to be the best device when it comes to DLNA.

I have a Synology NAS and find my Panasonic TV will play almost anything from the Synology - not so the Humax.

| Sat 15 Aug 2015 23:07:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

piptwin

Thanks for that.

I have used Handbrake before with varying success. Tried it again at the weekend, at it converted a 3.75GB VOB file (from DVD) to an unplayable m4v. Only way to select mp4 was through one of the settings at the side, which resulted in altered aspect ratio and a file under 1 GB, which was poor quality.

I'll keep trying

Thanks

Pip

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 19:02:45 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

piptwin - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for that.
    I have used Handbrake before with varying success. Tried it again at the weekend, at it converted a 3.75GB VOB file (from DVD) to an unplayable m4v. Only way to select mp4 was through one of the settings at the side, which resulted in altered aspect ratio and a file under 1 GB, which was poor quality.
    I'll keep trying
    Thanks
    Pip

.m4V is an apple specific format very similar to mp4, you could try changing the extension to .mp4.

.avi (audio video interleave) is a container not a file format as such. It's capable of containing a very wide range of video and audio formats.

If you download Mediainfo it will tell you exactly what video and audio your .avi files contain. This info would help to get an idea as to what's involved in conversion.

| Tue 18 Aug 2015 19:11:17 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.