My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Wi-Fi or Ethenet adaptor for HDR-1800T/2000T

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulo

I friend wants to use their BB router to access 'On demand', iPlayer etc. I'm not sure what to recommend. Would a WiFi/USB adaptor be suitable or is a Power plug Ethenet link to the router be the only option.

Any help or advice on this subject would be much appreciated.

| Wed 7 Jun 2017 10:45:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There is 4 options

Homeplugs, USB WiFi Dongle or Ethernet WiFi bridge and network cable back to router network switch.

A USB WiFi dongle must use a chip set compatible with the built in software.

Network cable is most reliable and simple option. Dependant on home wiring configuration homeplugs can be reliable (basically if router and home plugs are on same ring main then speeds are much faster than if signalling goes via the consumer unit).

I have a single network cable from lounge kit to router (upstairs). A seperate network switch allows all my kit to share the single cable. Smart TV, Foxsat-HDR, Two HDR-FOX T2, HDR-1000S, Amazon Fire Box, Blu-ray player, Yamaha AV receiver. Spare socket allows any other kit to be connected.

| Wed 7 Jun 2017 10:54:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulo

Thanks for your quick response Graham. A network cable is not really an option because of the equipment locations so think we should go for the powerplug option.

Many thanks.

| Wed 7 Jun 2017 11:43:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

paulo - 11 hours ago  » 
    I friend wants to use their BB router to access 'On demand', iPlayer etc. I'm not sure what to recommend. Would a WiFi/USB adaptor be suitable or is a Power plug Ethenet link to the router be the only option.
    Any help or advice on this subject would be much appreciated.

If he's using a 2000T for that purpose then to be perfectly frank he will be far better served with something like a Chromecast streaming device. The 2000T is very poor with On-demand content. It only really has BBC iPlayer and that doesn't work well if at all half of the time.

| Wed 7 Jun 2017 22:33:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

paulo - 1 day ago  » 
    A network cable is not really an option because of the equipment locations so think we should go for the powerplug option.

Can it be connected by a cable temporarily to try out what would be available when the HDR is connected?
    After trying it your friend would have insight as to whether it is worth having or not.

| Thu 8 Jun 2017 22:04:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulo

Thanks Luke and Faust for your suggestions. This forum is most helpful.

| Fri 9 Jun 2017 9:28:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

nevans

I use powerline adaptors for my setup, and have managed to play UHD material over them. The one thing I would say is don't skimp on the one's that you buy. I made that mistake, and ended up buying twice. I am now using Devolo adaptors; not cheap, but work excellently.

| Fri 9 Jun 2017 13:48:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

nevans - 1 week ago  » 
    I use powerline adaptors for my setup, and have managed to play UHD material over them. The one thing I would say is don't skimp on the one's that you buy. I made that mistake, and ended up buying twice. I am now using Devolo adaptors; not cheap, but work excellently.

I used Devolo for years and had little trouble until the last 12 months when they became increasingly unreliable.

I'm now using TP-Link and they are providing really good results, both in speed and maintaining a connection.

| Sat 17 Jun 2017 15:39:38 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.