My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Wifi Controlled Power Off at Night

(8 posts)
  1. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Just getting into these WiFi/Alexa controlled power sockets. I see that you can use them for turning the TV and presumably the 4KT off at night thus saving a little on power consumption. Are there any downsides to doing this such as missing any updates etc. R-

Tue 29 Jan 2019 11:20:57 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RogerB - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Just getting into these WiFi/Alexa controlled power sockets. I see that you can use them for turning the TV and presumably the 4KT off at night thus saving a little on power consumption. Are there any downsides to doing this such as missing any updates etc. R-

The 5000T is known to wake up overnight to carry out unknown housekeeping routines. One known effect is the deletion of the cached epg which only gets re-freshed at the next boot. Saving less than 0.5W it hardly seems worth it. No idea how much these devices cost, but I imagine it will take a very long time to recover the equipment cost.

If you say put a 5000T in sby from 22:00 hrs to 18:00 hrs every day.

18 hrs x 365 x 0.5 watt hrs/ annum (3285) so just 3.29 units

Tue 29 Jan 2019 11:38:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Once completely powered down, the EPG will not repopulate until turned on again.
    Also, if you forget to power up, scheduled recordings cannot take place.

Tue 29 Jan 2019 11:40:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

RogerB - 57 minutes ago  » Just getting into these WiFi/Alexa controlled power sockets...

If you really want to persist in this there is a very simple solution...

https://www.diy.com/departments/lightwaverf-white-on-off-adapters-remote-control-pack-of-3/1780415_BQ.prd

...which might be cheaper than wifi/Alexa.
    Although I agree with the other posters, why bother.

Tue 29 Jan 2019 12:20:28 #4 |
  5. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Hmm... I imagine the TV would be a similarly meagre saving - I didn't realise that they used so little in standby mode. As the switches cost around £12 each I am inclined to do nothing. Thanks folks. R-

Tue 29 Jan 2019 12:25:27 #5 |
  6. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 8 minutes ago  » 

RogerB - 57 minutes ago  » Just getting into these WiFi/Alexa controlled power sockets...

If you really want to persist in this there is a very simple solution......which might be cheaper than wifi/Alexa.

Thanks. I have some of those for lamps etc. and like the programmability of Alexa - - - but not the cost/benefit ratio. As Duncan Bannatyne has been heard to say "I'm oot" R-

Tue 29 Jan 2019 12:31:07 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

You could of course simply refer to your wife (if you're married) as Alexa. Alexa turn the light off, Alexa turn the light on, Alexa make me a brew.

Do post back and let us all know how you get on with that.

Tue 29 Jan 2019 23:37:04 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

'I feel my pain' to misquote that well known saying.

Wed 30 Jan 2019 9:50:47 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.