My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

WiFi for 1000 s 500G

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Just the job, pleased you have cracked it.

| Thu 9 Jul 2020 18:38:37 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have never heard of 'a great improvement' of a WiFi connection over a cable connection. There must of have been something wrong with the cable connection.

| Thu 9 Jul 2020 18:48:35 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have never heard of 'a great improvement' of a WiFi connection over a cable connection.

It wasn't a hardwired cable connection; the first post in the thread says it was using Homeplugs which will usually work well in a domestic environment but not always.

| Thu 9 Jul 2020 21:05:27 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

NorthantsJohn

I've had my HDR 1000s connected to my BT wifi for several years using a Humax 150N dongle. It's been ok until the last few months when I'm getting a lot of buffering on iplayer/ITV Hub or when a programme has been paused for a while. When watching live TV, a screen message saying the dongle has been removed followed shortly by a further message saying it's been reconnected also appears regularly. These messages don't affect the programme on the screen.

I've tried a factory reset of the box which made no difference. I've now removed the dongle and am using an ethernet cable to connect to the router (not popular with wifey) to see how that works. The router is about 10m away from the box with one block wall in between.

If the problem is fixed I guess I need new dongle but am a little confused by the range on offer and would appreciate any advice - many thanks - John

| Thu 29 Oct 2020 11:02:29 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

NorthantsJohn - 35 mins ago  » 
    If the problem is fixed I guess I need new dongle but am a little confused by the range on offer and would appreciate any advice

You do need to be careful about choice of dongle as the Humax boxes usually support only one or two chipsets. This looks to me to be a suitable dongle https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Compatible-Wireless-HDR-1000S-HDR-FOX-HB-1000S/dp/B01B4YQQK8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?&tag=blusas008-21

| Thu 29 Oct 2020 11:45:54 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

NorthantsJohn

Thanks Martin, that does look as if it will do the job. I'll give it a try and report back.

| Fri 30 Oct 2020 9:19:24 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

NorthantsJohn

I installed the recommended dongle a couple of the weeks ago and am happy to report 100% success! There has not been any buffering and although I wouldn't say it was faster than an ethernet cable (how can it be?) it does seem as fast. Amazing performance and many thanks for your help Martin, much appreciated!

| Sat 14 Nov 2020 13:12:06 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

NorthantsJohn - 2 hours ago  » 
    I installed the recommended dongle a couple of the weeks ago and am happy to report 100% success! There has not been any buffering and although I wouldn't say it was faster than an ethernet cable (how can it be?) it does seem as fast. Amazing performance and many thanks for your help Martin, much appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to come back and update us; pleased it is now working. I agree that both WiFi and a hard wired connection should have a much higher performance than is required for streaming and hence be indistinguishable.

| Sat 14 Nov 2020 15:31:28 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.