My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

WiFi on New Freesat 500GB Box

(10 posts)
  1. brill

brill

Hi, ran into an issue with a brand new box whereby it won’t connect to our wireless network... Wired connection works fine but isn’t convenient to leave it plugged in.
    Does anyone know if there is anything to be aware of when it comes to wireless please? For example, are extremely long or complex passwords a problem for the freesat box?

I work with networks as a day job and have managed to connect other devices to my wireless network just fine, so at this point I’m blaming the freesat box and not my typing abilities on a remote. I’ve input it 5+ times and had my wife witness exactly what I typed.

Any help appreciated!

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 0:17:56 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Is your Network SSID hidden per chance?

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 10:17:25 #2 |
  3. brill

brill

No, the Freesat box can actually see the SSID but it reports two - must see both the 2.4GHz, and the 5GHz SSID. I've tried accessing both but no luck.

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 11:08:10 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Caveat - checking using a HB 1100S

Can see both SSID's but won't connect if hidden...password is a mixture of upper/lower case, and numbers, it is 12 characters long.

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 12:07:40 #4 |
  5. brill

brill

Neither is hidden, but the password is longer than 12 characters and it also has special characters, as well as the usual upper/lower case and numbers...

Should the password just be letters and numbers and 12 char or less?

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 12:19:07 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I would assume you can use any of the characters that appear on the on screen 'keyboard' and your network hub/router can use.

12 characters was only mentioned as my example.

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 12:40:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

brill - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Should the password just be letters and numbers and 12 char or less?

The password can be a lot longer than 12 characters but not the full 64 characters theoretically allowed by WPA2; my recollection is that somebody reported a limit of 39 characters.

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 12:54:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

Had a similar problem with my FVP 5000. When I set first set it up I used an Ethernet connection. I wanted to check the wifi so unplugged the ethernet but it wouldn't connect although it could see both my SSIDs. The well tried switch it off at the mains and switch it on again solved the problem!

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 13:55:08 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I recall seeing posts commenting on a limit as Martin has stated. I also remember another post which mentioned that space(s) do not work.

| Sun 31 Dec 2017 15:44:55 #9 |
  10. brill

brill

Yes Barry, I too assumed any of the characters available on screen would have worked - that includes spaces as well... Also, just under 39char. I had already turned the box off at the mains so will proceed with trying a different PSK (without spaces too, thanks REPASSAC) when I get a chance. I'll post my findings back and thanks to all who have replied! All the best...

| Mon 1 Jan 2018 12:10:16 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.