My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Will USB WiFi Dongles work in HDR-1100S?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I have a decent router installed. It a TP-Link Archer VR-600. See here : - https://www.tp-link.com/au/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR600.html .

Incidentally I went to my son's house today and his smart TV is hard wired via Ethernet cable and he was also having trouble with Netflix picture quality. It was a lot worse than my WiFi connected Humax box reception so I am wondering if it is a Netflix or ISP problem and that they are sharing band-with out among several properties. I believe it is called 'Contention ratio'.

Either way, having seen my son's Netflix picture quality I am now content.

| Sat 1 Dec 2018 20:40:37 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

I have been thinking that the issue happens in the evening at peak viewing times so it may be a temporary channel overlap issue from neighbours or, since streaming is a high-demand requirement, it may be an ISP 'throttling' issue or Netflix servers are struggling to cope with band width demand.

Thanks for your input.

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 10:18:23 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Justintime - 3 days ago  » 
    I have a decent router installed. It a TP-Link Archer VR-600. See here : - https://www.tp-link.com/au/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR600.html .
    Incidentally I went to my son's house today and his smart TV is hard wired via Ethernet cable and he was also having trouble with Netflix picture quality. It was a lot worse than my WiFi connected Humax box reception so I am wondering if it is a Netflix or ISP problem and that they are sharing band-with out among several properties. I believe it is called 'Contention ratio'.
    Either way, having seen my son's Netflix picture quality I am now content.

Do you have a challenging property

ie 3 storeys, thick walls or energy saving foil lined platerboard ?

| Tue 4 Dec 2018 21:52:11 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

No. It is a semi-detached house and my Humax box is almost line-of-sight to the router which is 5.5m away. If my glass panelled dividing door is open the signal only has to pass through the backrest of a leather armchair. In the evening with the doors closed it passes through both door and chair backrest.

I have concluded that, as long as the on-demand services perform well then I will forget about 5GHz. Why change what works? It is only the Netflix problem that caused me to start this thread and that could have been a temporary issue or related to the content I was streaming which was a film series called "Shaka Zulu".

| Wed 5 Dec 2018 17:53:53 #14 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.