My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Won't turn on after power spike

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bwatkins

Thanks for letting me join! I was a member here years ago when I used to have running battles with my Foxsat but I seemed to lose my login so I'm starting again.

I had a lightning strike very nearby last night which caused the power to go out momentarily. 1100S stopped sending a signal to the TV but was still powered on with the channel name showing on the front display and red light on the power button. Left it a while, pressed all the buttons on the front and remote but it made no difference so pulled the power chord out and waited a few minutes. Plugged the power chord back in but it wouldn't power up at all. No red light on the power button and nothing on the display. Left it off overnight and plugged in this morning but still no life. There is red light emanating from the digital optical output and I can hear what appears to be the hard drive working. The green light is on the power brick. So it's not a complete power failure.

I gather there is an internal fuse which I will check tonight along with capacitors and any other obvious signs of damage. Any other suggestions for what to check?

Unfortunately the lightning also took out the phone line and I live in a rural area with no mobile phone signal so I can't look this stuff up when I'm at home.

| Mon 17 Feb 2020 11:23:53 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Check you have 12V on the plug that goes into the box.

| Mon 17 Feb 2020 15:35:31 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have seen cases of 12v but insufficient amps before.

However, not good news, has a friend when a strike hit a pool house light, It took out the control system of the c.h. boiler and the main electrics.

Check you contents insurance, his covered it all.

That your internet is also don is not good news, implies hub is toast also.
    If you tell them you has a strike, they may charge you.

| Mon 17 Feb 2020 19:25:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bwatkins

Well I've managed to get back online by plugging in a different router. So my router is dead. As are two 4-port switches and a 4K CCTV. camera. That was an expensive lightning strike.

Opened up the Humax and no obvious signs of damage. Still won't power up properly.

grahamlthompson - 6 hours ago  » 
    Check you have 12V on the plug that goes into the box.

Checked and I'm getting 12.7. Tried another 12v power supply I know to be working and same result.

Is there anything I can do? I'm good with a soldering iron and capable of swapping out components like-for-like. I may swap the capacitors. Anything else I can try?

| Mon 17 Feb 2020 22:19:35 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.