My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR-T1000 Issues

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

ianash50 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Surely as Humax manufacture these things they have to shoulder some responsibility for the quality and at least offer some help/advice through Customer Support

They have the responsibilities stated in the warranty, and as far as I know they honour the warranty. I've personally had good advice and suggestions from their Support team, though not always. When it comes to a committee-designed box like YouView, it becomes increasingly likely that the support team just aren't able to help. Ever tried YouView Support? I don't recommend it.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 0:19:11 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

damian - 5 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Why point the finger at Humax?

Good point, I'm with JamesB on this except I'd point the finger at BT.
    If it has a BT badge on the front then contact BT.
    BT will have a contract with Humax where the boxes are supplied at a ridiculously cheap price and BT take responsibility for warranty claims.
    You wouldn't take an Audi to a VW dealer or vice-versa even though the vehicle may have been made in the same factory.
    If it has BT on the front then it's first and foremost a BT problem, what help did BT give you?

It's not very clear. The BT-badged T1000/T1010 boxes sold at retail may have had a Humax warranty. The BT-badged T2*** range seem to have BT warranties. All BT-badged boxes are BT's responsibility for support and updates - I think.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 0:25:51 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ColinK

Humax reply when I asked about the well known PSU issue.

Humax does not fit faulty PSU's, all Humax boxes are fully tested and working to specification being shipped. If the box was obtained from BT they would need to repair the box.

This reply came despite knowing I did not buy directly from BT and unit was over 1 year old.

They similarly screwed me around with my 9200 claiming zero firmware issues, before abandoning 9200 customers.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 1:19:10 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

ColinK - 33 minutes ago  » 
    They similarly screwed me around with my 9200 claiming zero firmware issues, before abandoning 9200 customers.

My 9200 is still going strong, last time I looked, and I'm not aware of any issues with it. The only reason and obvious one at that as to why I don't use it is lack of HD. My 8000T also booted up and worked fine last time I checked.

Back to the post though, If it has BT on the front then it's BT's responsibility. The fact that BT got these cheap on a bulk contract and customers subsequently sold them on ebay or BT knocked them out via their own distribution network is reflected in the price and lack of Humax support.

Unlike other products there is plenty of support for it, the capacitors, if necessary, can be bought for a few pounds or the psu can be sent away to 3rd party repairs for around £10

Bought new as a Humax they came with a 2 year warranty, sometimes needing Humax registration, and if I'd had one that failed a day after the 2 years then I'd be pretty peeved.

Bought 2nd hand and badged BT? You're on your own and why would you ring up Humax and ask about a well known problem, if it's well known then get it fixed, if you're not handy with a soldering iron then £10 +p&p on ebay last time I looked.

There's always a price to be paid for warranty and support. If it's not paid for then sometimes if asked nicely it will be forthcoming however; not an automatic right or guaranteed and especially if given free as a subscription or bought for £50 - £100 BT/Humax badged on ebay.

YouView and software, that's another kettle of fish altogether.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 3:14:53 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ColinK

Damian

I wish my 9200 was going as strong as yours - maybe I just got a bad one.

You are also aware of the PSU / Capacitor issue, if you have a way of communicating that to Humax it might be useful, they are unaware of the issue or are in denial.

Why would I contact Humax about the faulty PSU they made them and fitted the faulty components. How many other brands of PVR have a similar issue?

I do understand that legally they have no responsibility, but their response shows that they don't care - twice.

A genuine response would have acknowledged the issue and not suggest I go to BT, when they know I can't.

Maybe you could help, by directing me to the best tutorial for fixing the PSU / Replacing Capacitors - I am handy with a soldering iron

Back to Freeview software. Are all Freeview TV's and PVR's burdened with the same issues? My TalkTalk Heuwei (sp?) box seems to be no better than the Humax box - but does not have the added burden of the PSU issue.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 3:51:14 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Colin,

Re. the older Humax's, I think they were just designed and built better. Also expectations weren't as great, hard-drives smaller and more reliable, often with a 3 or 5 year guarantee, 80GB on the 8000T and 160GB (I think, although I swapped it almost immediately for a larger) on a 9200.

I'm not personally aware of the psu issue, only what I've read. I've experience of swapping out capacitors on other power supplies though, it's more common than you'd imagine, manufacturers in the supply chain cutting costs, we've seen it with batteries, sanyo and sony with their li-ion, more recently Honda with airbags etc. etc. the list goes on and on and on.

Humax will guarantee their own badged products for 2 years, in the States 90 days is common, in Europe up to 6 years depending upon price paid. One of the links linked to an upgraded dtr-t1000 with better capacitors, better hdmi etc. etc. all in for £599, I'd expect 6 years warranty for that, minimum 2 years on a MRP £249 consumer product is about right, although we'd all expect it to last longer.

We can see why Humax has moved to external psu's. No manufacturer will shoot themselves in the foot and openly admit problems. Quite often it'll be a supplier further down the line supplying a substandard component that may not become apparent for months/years.
    Topfield, digihome, vestel (incl. all those brands you want to forget) and Thomson/Sky etc. etc. have had more than their fair share of psu capacitor problems.

If it's got a BT badge on it then BT got these at a reduced price and made themselves responsible. BT badged boxes are normally cheaper and this is the price you pay for the bargain.

I'm not aware of a tutorial, only the links for mainly foxsat hdr capacitors, de-solder, remove and solder in the new ones making sure +/- right way round. Last psu I did was on a shuttle cube pc, luckily had over-specced capacitors to hand. Alternatively psu can be sent off for repair, assuming of course that it is the psu.

As far as software goes, all boxes have problems, those that don't have problems get outdated quickly, those that update fight an almost losing battle keeping up with the changes forced upon them. I have a TT throw-away huawei box with external psu, takes 5 mins to boot up, I've never used it productively as my humax's are so much easier.
    Add in youview/freetime layers and the software soon becomes a quagmire and it's impossible at times for consumers to tell the difference between software and hardware problems.

If it were my dtr-1000, I'd have the psu out, see if there's a matching capacitor kit or if I weren't handy, send it off for repair. I'm also a bit fanatical about location, placement and air-flow and I'm not surprised at this time of year where it gets quite cold outside, central heating goes on and bakes boxes. I've been in some living rooms and it's like walking through treacle, it's a wonder anything survives the heat.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 7:29:45 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

ColinK - 8 hours ago  » 
    Humax reply when I asked about the well known PSU issue.
    Humax does not fit faulty PSU's, all Humax boxes are fully tested and working to specification being shipped. If the box was obtained from BT they would need to repair the box.
    This reply came despite knowing I did not buy directly from BT and unit was over 1 year old.

There is no "well-known capacitor issue".

YouView triallists, of whom I was one, were each given a DTR-T1000 which after the trial they were allowed to keep. These free boxes were granted a one-year Humax warranty. In my view, this was a sensible if slightly cynical move by YouView, as it gave them a very cheap on-going supply of unofficial beta-testers during the first year following the ham-fisted soft launch. Near-monthly updates were released during that first year, as the YouView tech team struggled to get the many, many bugs ironed out. Some of these releases, unsurprisingly, made things worse rather than better. Towards the end of the guarantee year, some triallists grew resentful. See the YouView forum thread at https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/what_if_a_youview_update_bricks_my_box_after_warranty

The poster who started the thread (who was already pissed off at Humax over issues with his Foxsat box), posted the following:

...that I expect nothing from Humax after the 1 year period ends is based entirely on my knowledge of the dreadful way they treat Foxsat HD owners whose power supply capacitors blow after 731 days, despite this being a known fault with the ones they use. (For information, when mine went and the Argos receipt was blank through fading of the thermal printing, I was quoted £90 as their standard out of guarantee fee, despite the capacitors costing about £1)...

So when this allegation was first made on the YouView forum, it concerned Foxsat boxes, not YouView boxes. Chinese whispers transferred it to the DTR-T1000 boxes, and the high failure rate of T1000 boxes did the rest.

As far as I'm aware, no single cause has ever been identified for the excessive failure rate of T1000s. With a badly designed box which was forced onto the market by its ego-ridden stupid bosses when in development term it was years away from being ready, there could be any number of terminal-death Easter eggs waiting to be hatched. It's just not correct to lay the blame for all this YouView management stupidity at Humax's door.

In my personal experience, Humax offer a good level of customer support, and design and produce good boxes, when operating independently. Pity they decided to accept YouView's terms, when all others barring Huawei dropped out. They might have foreseen they'd end up catching the blame for all YouView's many disasters. On the other hand, the BT contract must have brought in a lot of cash over the past couple of years, so perhaps one shouldn't waste too much sympathy. Hard on the techs and the customer-facing support staff, though.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 10:45:16 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Afaik there is not and never has been an issue with Foxsat-hdr power supply issues. Mine is still working with a 1TB drive installed in 2008.

The issue revolves around the notorious capxon capacitors as found on the old Thomson sky boxes.

The Foxsat-HD did have these though mine lasted about 2 yrs before they needed replacing.

Incidentally the Topfield 5800 had the same issues (I had to replace capacitors in my Topfield 5800). This box is still working (I gave it to my Grandson).

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 11:00:35 #18 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

My take is that the mix of symptoms experienced by many users with their Youview boxes before eventual failure is consistent with an endemic PSU problem. I am two for two with such failures.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 11:01:24 #19 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

grahamlthompson - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Afaik there is not and never has been an issue with Foxsat-hdr power supply issues. Mine is still working with a 1TB drive installed in 2008.
    The issue revolves around the notorious capxon capacitors as found on the old Thomson sky boxes.
    The Foxsat-HD did have these though mine lasted about 2 yrs before they needed replacing.

Agree with Graham re Foxsat HDR.

I have 2 working fine, one is older then any other publically owned - and is the one I use for updating the changes thread so booted many times a day.

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 11:10:11 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.