My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR-T1010 1GB only records 2 minutes

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulcroft

This within the last 2 weeks on my DTR-T1010:

I set a programme to record and, about 4 times out of 5, it will record only the first 2 minutes.

If the scheduled programme is on a channel which has a 'sister' channel which goes out, say, one hour later, e.g. ITV and ITV+1, and if the failed recording was scheduled to be recorded on ITV, it will automatically start recording the programme again one hour later on ITV+1 and, thus far, has always recorded properly on the 'backup'. If, however, there is no +1 channel, e.g. BBC, that's tough, the recording simply fails and there is no alternative apart from the iPlayer.

Why does it not record the whole programme on the original channel? Where is there a setting to record only the first two minutes? I've been right through the settings and found nothing and wonder if I've inadvertently pressed a secret sequence of buttons on the remote and entered some unknown maintenance mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it to start recording properly again?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul

| Mon 19 Jan 2015 20:45:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

This is a software fault introduced by the update of October 2014. YouView have acknowledged the problem and say that they are prioritising efforts to identify the problem and issue a fix. More than that, no one knows. To see other reports, see this thread in the YouView forum:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/scheduled-recording-only-recording-3-mins-then-stops?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bpage%5D=1#topic-reply-list

and this thread in the BT YouView forum:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053

| Mon 19 Jan 2015 21:33:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulcroft

I'm glad it's a software fault and not my box but the date is weird - I've only just started having this problem in the last week or two, certainly no problems over the Christmas and New Year period and it got a fair amount of use then. Still, thanks, it's nice to know it's not just me.
    Paul

| Mon 19 Jan 2015 22:15:15 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

That's consistent with other reports - box was fine, suddenly it isn't. Some haven't seen the problem at all - yet.

The most recent statement from YouView that I've seen (Jan 15):

I would like to let everyone know that working on a fix for this issue is still our highest priority. We understand how frustrating it is for those affected to continue to experience issues with incomplete recording and playing them back. For some the suggested steps already mentioned have helped: attempting a re-tune of your box to a different transmitter, attempting to playback a failed recording a second time if it stops, or attempting to do a factory reset (keep recordings) through Maintenance Mode. For some these steps have not stopped the issue, or has only stopped the issue from appearing for a short period of time. We are committed to ensuring a complete fix will be implemented for these two issues going forward.
    Our test and engineering teams have made progress with narrowing down the cause of the problem, and will look to work on a fix as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates on the status of this when more information is available until a fix is made available.

You could try those suggestions and see if they help.

| Mon 19 Jan 2015 22:46:35 #4 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I have never had this problem which throws doubt on it being exclusively a software problem but also possibly relates to the broadcaster or transmitter. On my Youview box I only record BBC1 HD (other than the internet channels like BT Sport and National Geographic) and am tuned to the Oxford transmitter.

| Tue 20 Jan 2015 9:27:49 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

gomezz - 15 minutes ago  » 
    I have never had this problem which throws doubt on it being exclusively a software problem but also possibly relates to the broadcaster or transmitter.

Me neither - Definitely tuned to one transmitter.

I think it is the 'tuned to more then one transmitter' problem, which users could have had from the outset, but is now highlighted for some reason with last software update.

Reports of sometimes failing sometimes working adds evidence to this theory in that it fails if you happen to be watching a channel from one transmitter but timer is from another. Same user then reports it is working ie they happen to be watching a channel on same transmitter.

Now if YouView had listened at the outset it would be easy to prove ie manual tuning facility or at least an indication in system menus of which mux you are watching, ala other Humax T2 products.

| Tue 20 Jan 2015 9:49:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It does seem likely to be the interaction of multiple factors. I don't see how it could just be down to being tuned to more than one transmitter, as that situation has arisen quite frequently ever since YouView launched, but this problem with 2-minute playback has only shown up since the update. YouView themselves, who are in a better position than anyone else to identify possible causes, don't seem to be in any doubt that it's a consequence of the October update.

The equivalent update (enabling HTML5, hence Connected Red Button, NetFlix, etc) has been rolling out to the Huawei boxes for the past couple of weeks. It's been suggested in the YouView forum that they wouldn't have risked going ahead with this unless they had a pretty good idea of what was causing the 2-minute bug and were confident that it wouldn't happen to the Huawei boxes. Which, if correct, in turn suggests it might be to do with the YouView - Humax interaction within the software.

To me the descriptions seem reminiscent of a recording problem that appeared in the HDR-2000T boxes shortly after COM7 went live - misreported recording lengths. I had an HDR-2000T at the time, and returned it because of that bug. I'd be interested to hear if those who know the box better than I think it could be a similar fault.

| Tue 20 Jan 2015 10:23:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulcroft

Having read the links to the other forums (e.g. the BT one) it would appear that other freeview or youview users have had this problem since October which tends to confirm a link to the October software update. However, when I spoke to Humax support this evening the guy I spoke to said that, as far as he was aware, this problem had only surfaced in the last couple of weeks and that accords with my findings. So this may suggest a problem associated with the box you're using and the youview software.

Re the possibility this is a transmitter problem, I live in South-west London and am tuned in to the Crystal Palace transmitters. If it were associated with transmitters why would it be intermittent for me if they're the only transmitters I am tuned to?

This evening I did a maintenance mode reset (kept recorded programmes) and thus far I've recorded 8 different programmes and all have recorded properly. A 100% success is clearly an improvement on the c.20% success rate of my other recordings over the last couple of weeks. I'll report back again in a week or so to let you know if this still holds good.

Paul

| Tue 20 Jan 2015 22:20:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

That's good news. Fingers crossed.

| Wed 21 Jan 2015 7:41:27 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

YouView statement on this issue:

We have made some progress with our investigation of this problem and have been able to identify the issue causing the short recordings and recording playback symptoms experienced by some BT and Humax customers. We are now looking to develop a fix that eliminates the issue, we will continue to update on our progress with this. Thank you for your ongoing patience while we continue to work on a fix as a priority.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/scheduled-recording-only-recording-3-mins-then-stops?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=15266591#reply_15266591

| Thu 22 Jan 2015 18:14:40 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.