My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Flashing screen for approx 1min on start up

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

parsonsp

Hi,

I've just replaced my Foxsat HD with a HDR-1000s. I haven't adjusted the satellite at all, but plugged everything into the back of the 1000s as before.

I have the 1000s connected via hdmi to my Sony A/V amplifier. I have also set the 1000s to output only in 1080p (as the foxsat was).

When I start the 1000s it boots up as usual, but the screen flashes on and off every few seconds for something like 1 minute. I think I counted about 7 or 8 losses of picture and sound before it settled down and worked fine. This happens every time I start the 1000s up.

I tried connecting the 1000s directly to the TV (without the A/V amp in between) and I didn't have this issue - although BB1 was flashing black and didn't seem to settle down (BB2 was fine).

It appears to me as though it's a resolution issue - it looks as though the A/V is having issues deciding how to display the picture. The screen goes blue - like the screen the amp displays if it doesn't have an input signal.

I haven't tried using the same hdmi cable into the back of the A/V amp yet, but I think it's unlikely the existing hdmi cable is damaged.

I also need to check BBC1 again tonight, just in case it was a temporary broadcasting issue (screen going black for a fraction of a second).

I just wondered if anyone has experienced anything like this before, or if anyone has any initial impressions of what the problem could be.

Also, with the BBC1 screen going black - could that be a loss of signal? Do I need to move the dish or change the lnb with a change from foxsat to 1000s?

Thank you in advance!

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 11:32:51 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

At a guess it's a HDCP handshake issue via the AV amplifier. The Foxsat-hdr doesn't have 1080p so the issue may well be your amplifier doesn't like 1080p. Try the 1080i option, if this doesn't resolve try a different HDMI cable from the box to the amplifier.

You don't have to make any changes to your dish or lnb.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 11:49:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

parsonsp

Graham,

thanks for your quick response. I'll see if there is anything I can set on the A/V amplifier that might help with that. It is a Sony STR-DA2400es which definitely has the ability to upscale to 1080p, and I think allows 1080p pass though.

I'll check another hdmi cable tonight

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 11:56:41 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

parsonsp - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Graham,
    thanks for your quick response. I'll see if there is anything I can set on the A/V amplifier that might help with that. It is a Sony STR-DA2400es which definitely has the ability to upscale to 1080p, and I think allows 1080p pass though.
    I'll check another hdmi cable tonight

You might as well just use 1080i, the broadcasts are 1080i (no 1080p on satellite and only some 1080p25 on Freeview-HD) and your TV and/or amplifier will likely de-interlace just as well as the HDR1000S. There is no discernible difference between 1080p and 1080i from my HDR1000s. Your Foxsat would be outputting 1080i anyway.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 12:16:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

parsonsp

Just a quick update. I tried connecting via a different cable (the one that comes in the box) and there was no difference. I don't really want to have to invest in a new Home Cinema receiver, is there anything I can do to force the handshake? Is it likely that this could be an issue with the 1000S or just the compatibility with my amplifier?

Thanks!

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 20:10:12 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

parsonsp - 41 minutes ago  » 
    Just a quick update. I tried connecting via a different cable (the one that comes in the box) and there was no difference. I don't really want to have to invest in a new Home Cinema receiver, is there anything I can do to force the handshake? Is it likely that this could be an issue with the 1000S or just the compatibility with my amplifier?
    Thanks!

Did you try setting the box to 1080i ? Alternatively connect the HDMI direct to the TV and use the box optical S/Pdif toslink connector to send the audio to the amplifier.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 20:52:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

parsonsp

Hi Graham,

yes I tried 1080i. No difference unfortunately.

Thanks.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 20:53:30 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

parsonsp - 59 seconds ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    yes I tried 1080i. No difference unfortunately.
    Thanks.

Check on my edit re the toslink connection.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 20:54:54 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

ditto Graham's advice, that's how I have mine set up, hdmi direct to the screen and optical spdif/toslink to the amp and I use a logitech harmony remote to switch everything connected automatically (takes a while to set up, but well worth it);

however, is all the equipment tv, receiver and Humax on the latest firmware, you need to check this first.

None of my other hdmi connected equipment suffer this problem, only the Humax, and it always seems to be around cascading of the hdmi signal, except for an older screen where the Humax never worked and everything else did without problem. Humax haven't fixed this over the years and I can't imagine them ever doing so.

I'd try factory resetting the Humax, take a note of the schedule first and don't format, make sure it's going through the receiver and make sure you set it to 1080p on set up.

if that doesn't work, factory reset again and choose 1080i on initial set up. This should work and hopefully you'll be sorted.

if it doesn't then you'll have to find a work-around. Replacing the receiver just sounds daft. Have you tried different hdmi inputs on the tv, I'm assuming the sony is plugged into hdmi-1 on the tv, similarly different hdmi inputs on the sony, I'm assuming the Humax is plugged into hdmi-1 on the sony receiver. Switching things on in a different order can also help, tv, then receiver then Humax, I would have thought. If the Humax is in standby, then why not switch it off at the mains, it shold come back on within seconds rather than a minute.

With a bit of trial and error, I'm sure you'll find a fix or at least a work-around, let us know how you get on along with the tv and receiver model numbers just in case others have the same problem

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 22:07:27 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

damian - 1 minute ago  » 
    ditto Graham's advice, that's how I have mine set up, hdmi direct to the screen and optical spdif/toslink to the amp and I use a logitech harmony remote to switch everything connected automatically (takes a while to set up, but well worth it);
    however, is all the equipment tv, receiver and Humax on the latest firmware, you need to check this first.
    None of my other hdmi connected equipment suffer this problem, only the Humax, and it always seems to be around cascading of the hdmi signal, except for an older screen where the Humax never worked and everything else did without problem. Humax haven't fixed this over the years and I can't imagine them ever doing so.
    I'd try factory resetting the Humax, take a note of the schedule first and don't format, make sure it's going through the receiver and make sure you set it to 1080p on set up.
    if that doesn't work, factory reset again and choose 1080i on initial set up. This should work and hopefully you'll be sorted.
    if it doesn't then you'll have to find a work-around. Replacing the receiver just sounds daft. Have you tried different hdmi inputs on the tv, I'm assuming the sony is plugged into hdmi-1 on the tv, similarly different hdmi inputs on the sony, I'm assuming the Humax is plugged into hdmi-1 on the sony receiver. Switching things on in a different order can also help, tv, then receiver then Humax, I would have thought. If the Humax is in standby, then why not switch it off at the mains, it shold come back on within seconds rather than a minute.
    With a bit of trial and error, I'm sure you'll find a fix or at least a work-around, let us know how you get on along with the tv and receiver model numbers just in case others have the same problem

I don't have any issues connecting all my kit via a Denon AVR4306 amp using HDMI(apart from a Foxsat-hdr which is around 10M from my amp, this is in fact connected by S/Pdif using a optical to coax converter, in light of the distance, no issues with this either). However that doesn't mean other AV amplifiers may have issues. It does seem Humax kit has some issues with certain amplifiers. The problem is that some kit like the admittedly high end Denon works and some does not.

So there's an issue, Humax can claim that it works with some kit so must be compliant with the HDMI HDCP spec. Others can claim as other kit works and the others do not it must be the Humax box.

It's kind of a catch 22 situation. My amp works 100%, others do not. Who is right, I have no idea

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 22:32:48 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.