My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Freesat App on Android

(23 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Just had a play around with the Android App on an S4.
    Apart from a few missing things such as no on demand & saved items sections and the little tv screen for dragging & dropping and showing what's currently being watched, there's some things that are actually better than the iOS version(iPhone).
    Obviously things look a bit bigger due to screen size.
    On the main screen you can scroll through Showcase banner without having to open it.
    When looking at the guide, at the bottom of each picture of the current program that's on is a green line that represents the current length that's left of those program's within their time slots.
    iOS also has the green line, but only when you select the program which brings up the synopsis.

Hopefully now the Android version is out there, they can work on making some more improvement to both the apps and the way they work with the box.

| Thu 17 Jul 2014 19:44:26 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Tried to pair the Freesat box to my phone to be met with "Unable to access Freesat ID" error, the box is definitely connected (ethernet), rebooted and still no joy, might there be a problem with Humax Towers?

| Thu 17 Jul 2014 20:40:08 #12 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Sherbet66 - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Tried to pair the Freesat box to my phone to be met with "Unable to access Freesat ID" error, the box is definitely connected (ethernet), rebooted and still no joy, might there be a problem with Humax Towers?

Problem with Freesat ID server, apparently they're working to ressolve it.

| Thu 17 Jul 2014 21:24:18 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Edit, working now, lovely.

| Thu 17 Jul 2014 22:48:47 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

thanks Gonz

| Thu 17 Jul 2014 22:49:38 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

-gonzo- - 4 days ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Can someone confirm that the box still powers up every 30 mins or so when the app is paired to the box.

Yes the HDD still powers up every 20 minutes.

Do you know why it does this? It's not going to wear out my hard drive is it?

| Mon 21 Jul 2014 13:24:37 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Outatime - 15 minutes ago  » 

-gonzo- - 4 days ago  » 

Can someone confirm that the box still powers up every 30 mins or so when the app is paired to the box.

I imagine it's bound to shorten it's life somewhat. It boots up to access the server to see if you have made any schedule changes.

Like others I think you should be able to choose the length of time between checks.

| Mon 21 Jul 2014 13:42:00 #17 |
  8. frlarryduff

frlarryduff

any generous, tech-savy individuals feel like uploading the apk for me please to a public dropbox / google drive if ya have a minute please?

| Mon 21 Jul 2014 15:27:28 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

Outatime - 15 minutes ago  » 

-gonzo- - 4 days ago  » 

I imagine it's bound to shorten it's life somewhat. It boots up to access the server to see if you have made any schedule changes.
    Like others I think you should be able to choose the length of time between checks.

I posted this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating here...

"I wonder if Humax have grasped the implications of these spin up/down actions relating to the new app. Taking an average couple who are out working during the day I assume…
    Box on for 1 hour in the morning and then again for 5 hours in the evening. So on sby for 18 hours per day = 54 additional spin up/down. At w/e box is on sby for 12 hours per day, so 36 spins x 2 = 72. Total for week = (5 x 54) + 72 = 342 per wk.
    Taking a 48 wk working year and ignoring holiday times the minimum additional spins would be = 342 x 48 = 16416 per year.
    I’ll put money on it that if Humax factor that into their assumed warranty failures they’re going to see a noticeable uplift in early life failures."

Some number of years as quality manager in a major PC mfg facility showed me that the spin-up/down cycle is a major element of the failures in HDDs. I do not use the app and will not until the spin-up interval can be set by the user. Go ahead Humax, deny my assumptions!

| Mon 21 Jul 2014 17:01:40 #19 |
  10. vinnypowell

vinnypowell

frlarryduff - 1 week ago  » 
    Would anyone be able to send me the apk for the app or upload it somewhere for me please as its not available in my country - probably need root access on the android phone and a root explorer - would v much appreciate it.
    Rgds,
    Lar

Lar,

Did you get the .apk? I also can't download as I live in Holland. If you you did get it would you be able to send to me?

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 8:42:16 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.