My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Intermittent freezing of unit

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Hi folks. It's only my second thread post since joining the forum in 2013, and I must say I'm not overly technical when it comes to this kind of thing so please forgive any layman's language I might use!

I've had no problems with my 1000S since buying back in 2013, until now. For some reason I'm not sure of, my unit has started to freeze which means I need to switch the unit off at the mains and do a full power down so I can use it again.

The unit only seems to freeze when I'm trying to use the menus or TV guide whereas if I manage to start the unit up and input a channel number directly via the remote everything seems ok, but then the unit won't switch off via the remote or off button on the unit!

I'm tried powering off for a few hours, removing all cables and then starting again and things go ok for a few minutes, but then it freezes up again.

Perhaps a software update is causing the problem as I'm unsure of what else it could be? The hard drive is 60% full so I was wondering if this may cause a problem?

I haven't tried the factory reset yet as I want to avoid wiping my recordings if possible.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, and please ask me for more info if I haven't provided enough and I'll try to add to it.

Thanks.

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 16:34:44 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A factory reset won't affect your recordings, it will however delete your recording schedule and reset any changes you may have made to default settings. Hint photograph your recording schedule with a digital camera before the reset.

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 16:50:08 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A factory reset does not wipe recordings but does clear the recording schedule.

What signal quality levels do you get on say France 24?
    I ask as I had some problems with my unit while I was initially setting up the dish.

Graham, much quicker typist than me.

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 16:59:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Thanks both of you! Ah, well it looks like a factory reset is in order then. Luckily I don't have anything scheduled to record at the moment either. I'll try that and update you.

The signal levels are good throughout. I should have said that the picture image and sound doesn't freeze at all, it's the actual menus that freeze, sometimes in mid-motion. Also the name of the channel I'm watching sometimes freezes on the unit when I've moved to another channel!

Hopefully this is just a gremlin that will be fixed with a reset...

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 17:08:17 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You mention that signal levels are good however the freesat transponder currently comes from a slightly different position (28.5E v 28.2E). If the signal is marginal then it is a possibility that the EPG data could contain corruption (which I think was the problem I had while aligning my dish). Mine caused freezing and several reboots while aligning.

France 24 should provide a good indication as it comes from the same position.

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 17:34:32 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Ok, I'll double check that. Thanks for the info.

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 17:39:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Hi again. I checked France 24 and the picture and sound were perfect, so went through a factory reset. I then navigated the menu, tried to watch BBC 2 HD and everything froze when I pressed Watch. I've since unplugged the unit and will try again in a bit. Not feeling positive though!

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 21:36:53 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Breck - 9 hours ago  » 
    Hi again. I checked France 24 and the picture and sound were perfect, so went through a factory reset. I then navigated the menu, tried to watch BBC 2 HD and everything froze when I pressed Watch. I've since unplugged the unit and will try again in a bit. Not feeling positive though!

Does not sound good. You say freezes after a few minutes - is this repeatable and consistant? If a factory reset has not sorted it then, unless Graham can suggest anything else, I would next suspect a hard disk fault in the timeslip buffer. The timeslip buffer is written to constantly except when playing back a recording or watching on-demand.

Such a problem can be physically on the disc or a logical defect in the in disk structure. The latter should be fixed with a disk reformat, however I would try a disk cleanup first.

We don't actually know what a disk cleanup does other than nothing bad seems to happens when doing it.

Any thoughts Graham?

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 7:03:12 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Going on what happens on a Foxsat when the time shift buffer file is corrupted I have to agree as the most likely cause. Pity the fix isn't as easy as it is on the Foxsat. I wonder if the OP gets in quick and plays back an existing recording whether or not the box will stay on.

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 14:48:00 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Hi again. The freezing occurs when trying to navigate through menus, though particularly when attempting go from the TV Guide to watch anything. It just depends how quickly I go through the process, so I suppose time isn't an issue regarding the fault, it's more about the actions that I'm trying to go through.

Regarding disk clean-up and reformat, that's getting into the realms that could be beyond me technically! Is there any guidance on the forum on how to go about performing a clean-up and, if necessary a reformat?

In the meantime I'll try and watch something I've recorded and see what happens as per Graham's question.

Thanks again.

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 15:34:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.