My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Loop through update?

(70 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 
    I've already stated in post #2 that a fix has been engineered for the 2000T, however, as always, the engineers have been looking at 'other stuff' as well.

I hear what you say Barry but my position if I was Humax would be this - to the engineers - this must be your only focus until this issue is resolved. We have a duty to our customers to make sure the products we sell are fit for purpose. No loop through equates to a product that is not fit for purpose. This must be fixed "within days".

I think that Humax should have withdrawn all units from sale until this problem had been fixed. I just don't get the sense that there is any urgency at Humax or an appreciation of just how seriously customers view these type of cock ups..

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 22:33:19 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I hear what you say Barry but my position if I was Humax would be this - to the engineers - this must be your only focus until this issue is resolved.

But the engineers have fixed it. My assumption is that it is the management stalling on the release for an unspecified reason. Maybe they don't want to spend whatever an OTA costs or maybe they are waiting for some other fix to be included or maybe .... The frustrating bit is not knowing what is happening.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 22:41:59 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 41 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I hear what you say Barry but my position if I was Humax would be this - to the engineers - this must be your only focus until this issue is resolved.

But the engineers have fixed it. My assumption is that it is the management stalling on the release for an unspecified reason. Maybe they don't want to spend whatever an OTA costs or maybe they are waiting for some other fix to be included or maybe .... The frustrating bit is not knowing what is happening.

Whether it's the MD the engineers or the Humax tea lady matters not. What matters is Humax the company has still to fix an issue on a product that has been there since launch and which has put their customers to considerable inconvenience. Customers have invested their hard earned money in a Humax product - the very least Humax should do is ensure it's fully fit for purpose before unleashing it on an unsuspecting public.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 23:28:41 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Actually companies do whatever makes the most money and to hell with the customers. But in this case I believe what the customer wants and what will make the company the most money coincides.

There's an imp in the back of my mind which says Humax are delaying a software update for as long as possible because an update will probably give the custom firmware community a way in. But if that's true, Humax should get over it. It can only result in more sales of the 2000T and 18000T, not less.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 0:22:24 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Owen Smith - 8 hours ago  » 
    There's an imp in the back of my mind which says Humax are delaying a software update for as long as possible because an update will probably give the custom firmware community a way in. But if that's true, Humax should get over it. It can only result in more sales of the 2000T and 18000T, not less.

Except that Humax can only implement the HD freeview epg on the condition that they encrypt HD and do not make it easy to circumnavigate the encryption.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 8:57:05 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

You can already decrypt HD recordings on the 2000T without custom firmware. Horse bolted, stable door, etc.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 9:12:23 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

Understand everyone's frustration - including mine - with the long wait for this much needed update.

As owners of the 9200T will recall, we also had a long wait several years ago for a much needed update (to prevent slow response, keep the guide on the hard disk etc) but, in the end, it was worth waiting for.

I'd rather the engineers thoroughly test the update instead of rushing it out only to find it still has bugs etc.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 9:20:41 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Owen Smith - 3 hours ago  » 
    You can already decrypt HD recordings on the 2000T without custom firmware. Horse bolted, stable door, etc.

Yes, I know first hand that it is possibe as I tried it over 9 months ago when the 200T first came out, but not many people would find the technique userfriendly at the moment!
    It's hardly a bolting horse. It's more like one with a handicap.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 12:15:38 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The lack of loop-through was one of my reasons for returning a 2000T last year. But if it's now in place on the new 1800T, an update for the 2000T may follow soon, I would have thought. Humax may just be waiting for any error reports from the 1800T before pushing it out to the 2000T. Seems worth being patient a little longer, though I agree it was a remarkable oversight to release it without loop-through.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 13:43:55 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Humax have put all sorts of software into units shipped from the factory, including some versions that were never released as upgrades on the HDR Fox T2 or HD Fox T2. So the presence of this feature on the 1800T means nothing. Personally I think it smacks of very lax manufacturing control, the firmware that goes in at the factory should be the same as what is available to existing customers as an upgrade. As it is we end up with a mixed fleet in the field, which will be costing Humax more to support.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 14:20:13 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.