My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Panasonic to adopt Freeview Play

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

I've just read this >http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=5347
    Second paragraph states:
    "Freeview's new look comes ahead of a busy year which will see the publication of the new DTG D-Book 8 core specification for digital terrestrial TV this spring."
    Looks like Freesat with it's Freetime will be left alone.
    And general feeling I have from this news letter, that they (freeview) are responding to Youview's advance in the market, with their own new look and services, as in here:
    "The D-Book8 DTT Interoperability specification will lay the technical bedrock for a robust hybrid service as it evolves beyond traditional broadcast TV.

| Mon 2 Mar 2015 1:20:00 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Looks like Freesat with it's Freetime will be left alone

The question was about whether Freetime would be able to maintain its shaky toehold on Freeview. Which looks doubtful.

And general feeling I have from this news letter, that they (freeview) are responding to Youview's advance in the market, with their own new look and services, as in here:
    "The D-Book8 DTT Interoperability specification will lay the technical bedrock for a robust hybrid service as it evolves beyond traditional broadcast TV.
    The YouView Consortium, which includes the owners of Freeview, nearly imploded last year as it became clear that the YouView project, which was supposed to save PBS broadcasting, was mainly serving the needs of the two ISP shareholders, BT and TalkTalk. The conflict was resolved by the disgruntled partners withdrawing most of their funding from YouView, to put the money behind the development of their own IPTV project - viz., Freeview Connect, now rechristened Freeview Play.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 9:18:05 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 

The question was about whether Freetime would be able to maintain its shaky toehold on Freeview. Which looks doubtful.

The YouView Consortium, which includes the owners of Freeview, nearly imploded last year as it became clear that the YouView project, which was supposed to save PBS broadcasting, was mainly serving the needs of the two ISP shareholders, BT and TalkTalk. The conflict was resolved by the disgruntled partners withdrawing most of their funding from YouView, to put the money behind the development of their own IPTV project - viz., Freeview Connect, now rechristened Freeview Play.

So basically Youview became the de-facto vehicle for IP subscriber TV models, which I think most people knew but no one wanted to come right out and say so.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 12:00:41 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Media journalists said so, loud and clear. See for instance http://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2013/may/12/youview-freeview-bbc

Eventually the BBC Trust also said so, though less directly. See http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/vfm/distribution.pdf

Project Canvas/YouView has been a struggle for all concerned, and has turned out very differently from the original ideas. But it's there, and it works, and without BT's and TalkTalk's freebies that just wouldn't have been the case. Hindsight, of course.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 12:31:42 #14 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 

You would think Panasonic would have some influence for keeping Freetime working on Freeview as many of their current Freeview TVs have Freetime built in. Panasonic are going to have a lot of annoyed customers (like me) if the Freetime on TVs just purchased stops working.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 12:34:54 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Biggles - 12 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 

You would think Panasonic would have some influence for keeping Freetime working on Freeview as many of their current Freeview TVs have Freetime built in. Panasonic are going to have a lot of annoyed customers (like me) if the Freetime on TVs just purchased stops working.

There's no reason to think Freetime-on-Freeview will stop working on existing Panasonic models that have that feature.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 12:49:29 #16 |
  7. brian

brian

special member

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 

There's no reason to think Freetime-on-Freeview will stop working on existing Panasonic models that have that feature.

I always thought that <free time> was on Freesat, and Not Freeview.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 19:30:19 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

brian - 11 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 

Some 2015 Panasonic Freeview TVs have Freetime on Freeview. See http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/televisions/all-tvs/panasonic=brand/c800005013 for some examples.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 19:45:32 #18 |
  9. brian

brian

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

brian - 11 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 

Some 2015 Panasonic Freeview TVs have Freetime on Freeview. See http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/televisions/all-tvs/panasonic=brand/c800005013 for some examples.

But these are Freesat TV's with free time.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 20:52:03 #19 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

brian - 4 minutes ago  » 
    But these are Freesat TV's with free time.

The first 4 TVs are Freeview HD & freetime, all the others are Freeview HD/Freesat HD & freetime.

| Tue 3 Mar 2015 21:00:02 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.