My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Raydon’s Media and File Server Bundle (R3)

(70 posts)
  1. savvy

savvy

I'm starting to suspect you can overload the HDR.

I've had recorded programme playback picture freezing for a second or 2 before carrying on, a couple of occasions now, when I am doing file manipulation on the HDR via my laptop over Wi-Fi.

1. HDR is playing back a recording, whilst also recording two other programmes, all HD content.
    2. Log into the HDR using Filezilla, and start to ftp 4 movie files (SD) across to my laptop for editing & viewing on my iphone.
    3. When 2 files complete, use filezilla to select & delete all the 6 files on the HDR associated with the 2 movies in one go.
    4. So, it is now playing back a recording, recording 2 others, still ftp'ing 2 large movie files, and deleting 6 files, all at once.
    5. The deletions seemed to take a while until the Filezilla window "suddenly" refreshed. At the same time, the playback programme that we were watching also jerked a couple of times (I was multitasking on the laptop and watch TV at the same time ), and Mrs savvy definitely noticed it (not good !!).
    6. Interestingly, when we came to play back the programs that were also recording at the time, they had similar very brief glitches at around the time that I would have been doing the deletions.

I haven't noticed this doing ftp'ing & streaming to other devices, whilst recording/playback, only whilst doing all of them them, then also doing simultaneous multiple/large file deletions. Not sure if it appears that the processor is being overloaded, or if it is a disk I/O problem - or if it is just me

Les.

| Tue 24 May 2011 12:11:53 #19 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Load testing is pretty easy to test - just having the time and patience to find out how much it can cope with...

One question I must ask is whether you've replaced your HDD? If so, what have you replaced it with?

| Tue 24 May 2011 16:08:20 #20 |
  3. savvy

savvy

son_t - 1 minute ago  » 
    Load testing is pretty easy to test - just having the time and patience to find out how much it can cope with...
    One question I must ask is whether you've replaced your HDD? If so, what have you replaced it with?

Yes, I just don't have the time any more, as I used to, to go thru it methodically, adding each new element and recording the results

It's just something I noticed happening twice, now, to me under the same conditions.

I'm still on the original 320GB HDD, we're not great archivers, we watch what we record as soon as we can, generally using it to "timeshift" daily viewing so we avoid adverts , with some left over for ad-hoc viewing. HDD is generally about 45 - 55% full at any one time.

BTW, please don't anyone infer that I am saying the HDR processor or disk is not up to the job, it wasn't designed for these additional functions

Les.

| Tue 24 May 2011 16:14:11 #21 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Audi18

Hi

I have loaded Raydons excellent package and the Foxsat HDR shows up on all my PC's in the network summary and I can see all the files. I can also FTP into the Humax. However I am unable to log onto Twonky at port 9000 and Twonky does not show up itself as a network device. Any ideas?

Brian

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 11:30:36 #22 |
  5. savvy

savvy

Are you using the latest Release 3c?

Have you definitely installed Twonky by putting the Twonky Installer on the USB and letting it install, checking that it deleted the file on the USB after rebooting?

If you ftp to the HDR, can you see the Twonky folders?

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 12:55:46 #23 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Audi18

hi Savvy

Yes I am using Release 3c and the Twonky files were deleted on install. I can see them installed through FTP. I have another Twonky server on the network running and thats fine. Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall?

Brian

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 13:26:22 #24 |
  7. savvy

savvy

Hmmm.....

If you can't login to the twonky screen such as :-
    http://youripadress:9000/config or
    http://youripadress:9000/webbrowse

You could see if the twonky service is running, by telnetting over to the HDR and issuing a ps command which will show which processes are running, and see if Twonky is or isn't.

If all that looks OK, then I'm not sure, other than maybe the other twonky server running on your network is somehow causing a conflict, although sounds unlikely.

Edit : You didn't put the MediaTomb alternative on your usb to install as well did you? If so you could try putting the installer for Twonky only on the USB & trying again.

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 13:42:10 #25 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Audi18

Not sure how to telnet. Do you install on pc? I can not log in as suggested on I left mediatomb out. I will try an unistall and reinstall and come back to you.Is the Twonky supplied free? I paid for V6 which I use on the media server.

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 14:13:22 #26 |
  9. savvy

savvy

Telnet is enabled automatically in Windows XP, just use Run | Cmd to get a command box up, and then do telnet foxsatipaddress.

In Win 7 you have to enable it, instructions here

The twonky supplied is a trial version, but on the HDR, the trial never expires

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 14:26:10 #27 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Audi18

Ok - I have opened command and looked at the lsit of commands available. I can ping the HDR sucessfully but what commands do I use to get onto it to discover what is running?

Thanks for the info on Twonky.

| Mon 6 Jun 2011 17:44:40 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.