My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

'recording failed'

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

damian - 1 hour ago  » 
    4G, iirc, affects channels 59 and 60 and filters were supplied free of charge, and still are I think, to those affected by the 4G roll-out.

It is very unlikly but superheterodyne tuners can also be effected on a frequency 9 channels below the inerferring channel according to one of the analysis reports commissioned for OFCOM and published in July 2011. Silcon tuners are OK. (ERA Technology Report 2011-0351. Assessment of LTE 800 Mhz Base Station Interference into DTT Receivers.)

I have no idea what type of tuner is used in an HDR-2000T, but I would expect that it is not superheterodyne as the HDR-2000T came out after 2011.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 14:50:39 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

bookman - 3 hours ago  » 
    It is the recording that is faulty. When I select it to play, I get a message 'Recording failed' and an option to play anyway. Since by then the programme is past,I click to play anyway and hope that the interruption will be very brief. Sometimes it is, sometimes not.

thanks for the reply.
    I asked about rewind as extremely rarely I'll get picture/sound break up on play back and when rewound it's fine so a glitch on playback rather than signal when recorded, also extremely rarely the other way round so a glitch when recording as rewinding and playing shows the same glitch.

A few days ago I was recording two HD channels, flicked over to bbc3 and 4 HD and on both the picture was very wierd sort of two different images super imposed, SD was fine, so presumably some transmitter work going on with com7.

The signal levels look okay at 67 - 68%

I could imagine if you're recording a HD channel, chase-playing another HD channel, the box is doing something else and a scheduled HD recording starts up that you may get a glitch for a short while.

A factory reset, no format, you'll lose your schedule so take a note with camera phone or similar, is always worth doing, especially after a software update, if you're experiencing problems.

I think you need to keep an eye on it and see if there are any patterns. It may be a glitch, the box too busy at times or an indication of premature failure. The difficulty with these boxes is there's no sensible access to the disk or operating system to run rudimentary tests which leaves us with a back box and trying to second guess until something fails conclusively.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 17:19:09 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

Thank you. Earlier replies have suggested interference to the signal,to be countered with an rf filter. Do you discount that idea?

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 18:25:33 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

bookman - 16 hours ago  » 
    Thank you. Earlier replies have suggested interference to the signal,to be countered with an rf filter. Do you discount that idea?

I don't discount anything these days.

I'd expect rf interference to be causing problems all the time on live TV and on 'live' paused TV, not just the start of a recording on bbc 1 or 2 HD which seems to be the case.

I can't imagine a filter doing any harm, I'd be pleasantly surprised though if it helped. If the signal strength is 67 - 68% on the HD channels, not only SD, then there really shouldn't be any problem. 4G as I previously mentioned should only affect mux channels 59 and 60 and Luke's correct in mentioning harmonics, but on mux channel 55 it should be clear of 4G at least, there maybe other RF, but that should affect live and paused-live/chase-play TV.

I have problems remembering what day it is let alone what may or may not have been happening when a recording took place. There's always transmitter work, if there's a defence place nearby or the PM/dignitary is visiting locally you're going to get interference as they sweep the channels. Years ago everytime the fire engine drove past it'd take over our TV and we could hear the cab radio conversation before the picture broke up. Clearly a big red fire engine can't be missed, other interference might take a while to spot if at all and I don't understand how it could only affect bbc1+2 HD recordings and nothing else.

Personally I think it's the box or the disk struggling. Ideally you need do a bit of detective work, make sure exactly which channel and when and what the box was doing, i.e. two recordings or accessing on-demand, copying to usb etc. etc. at that time.
    If the disk is struggling then that's not going to get any better, if you've been having power cuts or pulling the plug on the box then that will corrupt the file system.

A proper reboot, i.e. power cycle should be a minimum, personally I'd reset it without format as well.

If over the next few weeks you can't establish a pattern or put your finger on the problem then maybe a proper format and/or rf-filter as a last resort before returning it if still under warranty. Let us know how you get on

| Sat 7 Feb 2015 18:21:59 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

Thank you for your time on this. I will do as you suggest and take careful note of what is happening if there is a repetition. I've also sent an email to Humax support. They ought to have an article on their 'recording failed' message. We wait to see.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 13:42:39 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Einstein40

Hi, I have also recently experienced similar issues with recordings on the HDR 2000t.
    After a year or more of problem-free use there have been some issues in the last few weeks only.
    A number of recordings have failed... "Unable to track" or simply not recorded. Others have recorded but with no sound. Most have been on the BBC HD channels though the same has happened on More 4 and 5USA.

The suggestion of cause appears above to be related to 4G or 5G interference but I am not aware of any recent such activity in my area unless anyone knows better? (suburban Gloucester)

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with these issues (particularly today when I sat down to watch the rugby only to find there was no sound! Fortunately I am able to catch most of the programs spoiled on iPlayer but it does somewhat make owning a PVR seem pointless?

If the recommendation is to try an RF filter I will start looking into this, but would be grateful of any other tips. I initially suspected a machine issue but gather Humax customer support are not overly helpful? Can I rule out a fault with the unit? (Just over a year old with daily use and nothing else (TV, cables, location) changed at all.

Many thanks

| Sun 15 Feb 2015 20:42:38 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

Here is where I've got to. The last problem occurred when I was playing back a HD recording at the same time as the box was recording another programme in HD. The result was that the recording I was making had 'failed' sections. It seems that the 2 HD operations were overloading something.
    I have done two things. I contacted Humax support by email and they advised me to reset the box to the factory default position. This is easily done from the settings menu. You don't lose any recordings on the hard drive but you will need to reset the Humax volume and maybe other preferences.
    The other thing I did was to change all my reservations from HD to SD channels. (I found the difference in HD barely noticeable if at all, in any case.)So far there have been no problems. When I have time I'll do an experiment with HD programmes and see if the problem has perhaps been solved. I hope this helps.

| Mon 16 Feb 2015 17:54:31 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

bookman - 1 day ago  » 
    The other thing I did was to change all my reservations from HD to SD channels. (I found the difference in HD barely noticeable if at all, in any case.)So far there have been no problems.

Until such time as you get a good HD TV, in which case either the difference will become quite apparent or you've wasted your money on an HD PVR!

| Tue 17 Feb 2015 19:01:28 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Einstein40

Exactly!
    So am I now to understand that Humax HD PVR units may now only be sold to those who are deemed to own a "good" HD TV, otherwise we are only permitted to receive and record programs in SD?
    Absurd!

Humax - you need to take note of these issues and fix them now!
    Am beginning to think I have been duped out of my money here?...

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 1:08:22 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Einstein40

As a post script to my message above... these issues are not exclusive to HD. I took the advice of bookman and converted my scheduled recordings to SD.
    Of this evenings selected viewing 1 broadcast (ITV SD) failed to record at all and another (BBC4 SD) recorded with no sound.
    I am about 2 months outside of my warranty... anyone say built in self-destruct software?
    Ridiculous state of affairs for a paying customer to find themselves in!
    Am even considering breaking my cardinal rule of not lining Rupert Murdocks pocket and defecting to the dark side... you may pay through the nose for it but at least you know you will be able watch (and hear) the programs you want to.

| Wed 18 Feb 2015 1:17:56 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.