My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Saving HD recordings to enable play back via USB

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 
    A 2TB HDD appears to work ok - caveat formatted using a HD T2 as having some issues with easeus programme.

Looks like I better stick with 2TB then to be sure.

I do not understand the comment...
    > HD T2 as having some issues with easeus programme
    Unless you mean the EZ software that is supplied with the Toshiba HD. I thought the formatting to ext3 would blow all that away?

| Thu 21 Nov 2013 21:15:26 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Huntsman - 33 minutes ago  » 

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 
    A 2TB HDD appears to work ok - caveat formatted using a HD T2 as having some issues with easeus programme.

Unless you mean the EZ software that is supplied with the Toshiba HD. I thought the formatting to ext3 would blow all that away?

Easeus have a free partitioning and formatting tool for windows.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

The T2 Freeview models will format a usb drive EXT3 without needing a PC.

| Thu 21 Nov 2013 21:51:00 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

grahamlthompson - 13 hours ago  » 

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 

That seems a handy tool; it may save me hunting down an old Ubuntu disk to do the ext3 formatting.

My Humax is a FoxSAT-HDR

| Fri 22 Nov 2013 11:37:47 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Huntsman - 2 hours ago  » 

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 

That seems a handy tool; it may save me hunting down an old Ubuntu disk to do the ext3 formatting.
    My Humax is a FoxSAT-HDR

Barry indicated a compatibility issue with Easeus EXT3 formatting and using the drive with a Foxsat-hdr (possibly requires some changes to the EXT3 format settings).

Because of this he formatted his 2TB drive using the built in formatting capability of the T2 boxes and then tested the drive with a Foxsat-hdr.

Note The custom firmware add on for the Foxsat-hdr (AV Forums) amongst a load of other goodies allows you to transfer files directly from the Foxsat to a PC. You can also stream files directly to the Foxsat from a NAS drive, subject to the required support files being present.

There is a free utility by Raydon that will create compatible files from suitable video files (AV2HDR)

As this works by kidding the Foxsat that the NAS drive is a locally connected usb drive I guess it will work with encrypted HD recordings provided the files are streamed to the Foxsat that recorded the content in the first place.

| Fri 22 Nov 2013 13:57:28 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

Huntsman - 2 hours ago  » 

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 

My Humax is a FoxSAT-HDR

Barry indicated a compatibility issue with Easeus EXT3 formatting and using the drive with a Foxsat-hdr (possibly requires some changes to the EXT3 format settings).
    Because of this he formatted his 2TB drive using the built in formatting capability of the T2 boxes and then tested the drive with a Foxsat-hdr.
    Note The custom firmware add on for the Foxsat-hdr (AV Forums) amongst a load of other goodies allows you to transfer files directly from the Foxsat to a PC. You can also stream files directly to the Foxsat from a NAS drive, subject to the required support files being present.
    There is a free utility by Raydon that will create compatible files from suitable video files (AV2HDR)
    As this works by kidding the Foxsat that the NAS drive is a locally connected usb drive I guess it will work with encrypted HD recordings provided the files are streamed to the Foxsat that recorded the content in the first place.

This is where I start to get confused :0

My aim is to have a simple/family friendly backup of many series programs that are in HD. When I say backup I mean remove from the FoxSAT-HDR harddrive to make space for other recordings.
    I have Raydon's web utility working.

My plan was to get a 3TB Toshiba USB 3/USB 2 STOR.E CANVIO external hard drive as the backup media store.

Once a month take the Toshiba USB 3/USB 2 to my computer room and pull the files off the Humax using windows 7 copy and paste.

Then plug the Toshiba back into the Humax.

Down side is I have to keep moving the Toshiba USB 3/USB 2 drive about.
    Upside is I do not have to have my PC running all the time anyone is watching recordings.

Are you saying a NAS box is the way it should be done?

Could the NAS box stay put - next to the Humax?

Come to think of it can I copy directly to the Toshiba USB drive while it is parked next to the Humax via the Raydon software?

Apologies for all the questions but you have set me wondering if my plan is wrong.

| Fri 22 Nov 2013 17:40:04 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A bit confused here. If you have the CF installed you can copy the files directly to the USB drive with it connected to your computer. You will need EXT2FS if the drive is EXT3, you can use NTFS when using the drive with your PC. From your description it sounds as if you plan to copy the files first to USB and then your PC by moving the drive.

The advantage of a nas drive is it can be anywhere provided it has a connection to your router. The files will be available to any networked computers/tablets etc.

The Foxsat doesn't have a DLNA client capability hence the reason to make it look like a usb drive directly connected even though it's a remote device.

You may be able to use the 3TB drive directly connected by partitioning it into two EXT3 partitions (say 1TB and 2TB).

Copying content to a usb drive is quite slow, a 1 hr HD recording will take about 15-20 mins to transfer.

| Fri 22 Nov 2013 18:08:44 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

grahamlthompson - 16 hours ago  » 
    A bit confused here. If you have the CF

?

Is CF the Raydon's Media & File Server Bundle?

NAS boxes seem to be double the price of USB.
    I would need to route another cable through the house.

I take the point about the USB being slow; for that I was going to buy a cheap USB3 card for the PC and transfer of the PC to the USB.

I did not realise I could just use the Raydon's software to drag and drop from the Humax to an attached USB hard drive while sitting at my PC. If that is the case I could put up with the slow transfer.

The NAS box seems the more robust solution though; however, the box alone is as much as a 3TB USB drive.

USB drives without fans are not reliable normally but if it powers down when not in use it should be ok.

Thank you for your continued help with this.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 10:42:36 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes CF is the Raydon (and others) Media And File Server bundle. Installing Samba allows the Foxsat hard drive to be mapped in Windows Explorer. One of the ftp packages will also allow transfer of files to and from the box to a PC.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 15:53:38 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Thanks for the info about Easeus tool.

Dragging and dropping to a test memory stick plugged FAT32 into the Humax failed. The test was using windows 7 64bit explorer.

Formatting the memory stick ext3 has made the copy process possible.
    The process is indeed slow a quoted time of 35mins for a 2.7GB file. It still has 10 mins to go as I type this.

I have loaded all the available software onto the Humax via the Raydon software.
    Is it samba that is allowing the connection?

| Sun 24 Nov 2013 17:30:37 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Huntsman - 29 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the info about Easeus tool.
    Dragging and dropping to a test memory stick plugged FAT32 into the Humax failed. The test was using windows 7 64bit explorer.
    Formatting the memory stick ext3 has made the copy process possible.
    The process is indeed slow a quoted time of 35mins for a 2.7GB file. It still has 10 mins to go as I type this.
    I have loaded all the available software onto the Humax via the Raydon software.
    Is it samba that is allowing the connection?

See how to map a network drive in windows. Samba is the software that makes this possible.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-to-map-a-network-drive

Memory sticks are much slower than proper HDD, last time I copied a HD file to a proper drive it copied about 4X faster than real time. eg 5GB 1hr recording takes about 15 minutes.

| Sun 24 Nov 2013 18:01:32 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.