My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard Drive's Probably Dead

(37 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Also sorry to hear about the uneconomical repair. Personally I think you're on goodwill as far as RS goes, it'd be different if the purchase price were £500 though, SOGA would easily apply then.

Bang goes my theory about the disk running file system checks on start up, but as the problem only seems to appear on start up it'd suggest a power supply problem either external or internal on the pcb. Annoyingly I couldn't imagine the disk, pcb or power supply costing more than £30 each and unless there's been a lightning strike I couldn't imagine more than one of those three failing at the same time.

If you get no joy with RS then a local old style tv repair shop might be worth a look, but unlike Humax who with experience of the returns probably already know exactly what the problem is any outside repairer will have to spend time diagnosing first.
    Again if there's no joy with RS you might, armed with the box in hand on a quiet weekday morning, ask if they'd be so kind as to try a replacement power supply whilst you wait. It'll either work or not, if it does it points to the power supply, if it doesn't it points to the pcb or drive and the drive can be taken out with care and tested in a caddy/docking-station/pc etc. and you may be able to deduce which major bit is at fault.

Alternatively try it on ebay as non-working or take it to the tip and stack it alongside all the other 'beyond economical repair' and at times 'bored of' electronic goods.
    I recall watching a programme about self help repair clubs a while ago, along the lines of this:
    https://www.thegoodlifecentre.co.uk/repair-cafe/
    brilliant concept.

good luck and let us know how you got on.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 23:37:05 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

damian - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Also sorry to hear about the uneconomical repair. Personally I think you're on goodwill as far as RS goes, it'd be different if the purchase price were £500 though, SOGA would easily apply then.

I believe it depends whether the box is considered by the court to have lasted a reasonable time in view of its cost. Most people paying a couple of hundred pounds for a pvr would probably expect it to last longer than two years. IMO.

Richer Sounds wouldn't be able to offer a repair as the remedy, so it would have to be a replacement or a refund. If a refund, it would presumably be a partial refund, to allow for the two years of use the owner has received.

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 0:09:53 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Richer Sounds wouldn't be able to offer a repair as the remedy, so it would have to be a replacement or a refund. If a refund, it would presumably be a partial refund, to allow for the two years of use the owner has received.

Richer Sounds can offer what ever they want, including a repair, the moon on a stick, nothing at all, whatever they want to offer.

Court, if they found in the customer's favour can only enforce a replacement or partial refund, but they would take into account whatever RS had or hadn't offered.

I'm not too sure what happened to the £26 RS repair, whether the box was sent to Humax first or via RS to Humax before deemed unfit for repair. If via RS to Humax then there would appear to be some room for goodwill, but it is down to personal approach.

I had a computer years ago that failed within the warranty period (12 months), I guessed that the shop couldn't repair it and asked for a refund which was refused and a repair offered. I went to small claims and was advised that a repair was a reasonable offer and I wouldn't get a refund although I could appeal and take it further. The computer was repaired and lasted for a couple of months outside the 12 month warranty. There's a world of difference between what Which? and trading standards tell you and what actually happens in court.

We all know that Humax could repair this for peanuts if they wanted to, RS are in the firing line as they sold the product and are legally responsible. Outside of the warranty period RS would, presumably, have to pay Humax to repair it, but we don't know the terms between RS and Humax, RS may have bought a large batch at reduced prices on the condition that RS would use their own repairers in case of warranty claims. Manufacturers tend to get customers to register their products which means the retailer doesn't have any wriggle room anymore, i.e. whether the product stocked was actually sold 2 months earlier or later, they can't slip a late warranty claim through if the product has already been registered.

Again it's personal choice, try the goodwill first, there's always the SOGA route if goodwill fails.

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 2:40:57 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

damian - 7 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

Richer Sounds can offer what ever they want, including a repair, the moon on a stick, nothing at all, whatever they want to offer.
    Court, if they found in the customer's favour can only enforce a replacement or partial refund, but they would take into account whatever RS had or hadn't offered.

The only offers a court would be able to take into consideration are repair, replacement, or (partial or full) refund. Moons on sticks don't figure in the contract.

But I was speaking in practical terms. Richer Sounds can't offer to repair the box because it's been declared by its maker to be unrepairable. Thus ruling out repair as a remedy in the context of a SOGA claim.

I had a computer years ago that failed within the warranty period (12 months), I guessed that the shop couldn't repair it and asked for a refund which was refused and a repair offered. I went to small claims and was advised that a repair was a reasonable offer and I wouldn't get a refund although I could appeal and take it further. The computer was repaired and lasted for a couple of months outside the 12 month warranty. There's a world of difference between what Which? and trading standards tell you and what actually happens in court.

No, it's exactly in line with the advice from the consumer advice people. The retailer has to offer one of the three R's, and can choose which one to offer. In your case as described, the retailer offered repair, and you were told that that would be accepted by the court as being in line with the legislation. In the present case, Richer Sounds wouldn't be able to offer repair as their choice of the three remedies, because the box has been declared unrepairable.

Beyond the context of SOGA, RS can't offer a repair because they've already made that offer (for a price) and it didn't solve the situation, for what exact reason isn't known but could well be as you suggest. It's a little surprising to me that Richer Sounds, who have a reputation as a decent retailer, don't seem to have offered any thing beyond the news that the box has been deemed unrepairable.

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 11:13:56 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Hi,

Richer Sounds offered to scrap it for me :(, I'm going to speak to them over the weekend to see if they have anything else they could offer.

Dave

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 12:59:12 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Well, I went from mightly pi**ed off to pretty please yesterday, Richer Sounds replaced the knacked box with a brand new one.

No quibbling, no drama, no questions asked, just a straight out swap. I'll remember this the next time I see something £10 cheaper on Amazon, would they swap something over like that when its out of warranty?

The fault was the motherboard side of the hard drive connection showing the disk present one moment, not connected the next, thus not economical to repair.

Big thanks to everyone here who offered help/advice.

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 7:53:13 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

An excellent happy ending:-)

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 8:21:26 #37 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.