My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Sound issue - Think Analogue output blown

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Hi guys,

Used the USB socket on the front the other day for the first time. Was watching a movie off attached USB drive and all seemed ok. Paused the movie and then when I un-paused it there was no longer any sound. Tried normal TV and still no sound. Restarted the box and still no sound. Turned my amp to digital sound for the Humax which I normally do for multi surround on movies anyway and I have sound again.

Now I realise that this might not sound a major issue because I still have digital sound but when watching normal TV we usually have analogue sound output from the stereo outs on the TV to the Amp so we the wife (who is a bit of a technophobe) doesn't have to keep changing inputs on the Amp. Also she prefers to just turn the TV off when she or the little one has finished watching and of course with digital sound it still comes through because the box is still on. Lastly it means using two remotes instead of just the TV remote in order to change the volume etc.

So today I pulled the TV out and did some investigations. If I move the stereo cable to say my DVD player then I get sound no problem so the Amp input is ok. However if the Stereo cable is plugged into the Humax then I get nothing. I also get silence if I just try with the TV sound through the scart only then again no sound just video comes through.

I have tried everything even a factory reset just in case and nothing is working. Has anyone else had this happen?

My box should still be under the 2 year warranty with Humax as I bought it from Comet just before they went bust but it will be getting close and has typical I can't find the bloody receipt

I've just found the registration email and I purchased it on the 19/10/2012 so only about 6 weeks left on the warranty. I'd better get my arse in gear and find that receipt.

| Tue 26 Aug 2014 17:17:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The two year warranty is only effective if you registered the box with Humax, you could do that via the website. If you did they must have a record of the serial. If you did not register you may have a fight on your hands.

| Tue 26 Aug 2014 19:02:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Even if your box is no longer under warranty, you still have your statutory consumer rights. You would need to contact the retailer, and argue the case. It might get you a repair, a replacement, or a partial refund. A fair bit of hassle compared to a warranty claim.

| Tue 26 Aug 2014 19:52:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Yes I did register as that's the only way to get the 2nd year on the warranty and I have the email but it states that you also have to keep your receipt so I'll have to find that also.

| Tue 26 Aug 2014 19:52:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Update: After a few more reboots the sound came back for about 3 hours and then stopped again. This time just one reboot fixed it again. So if this pattern continues with say diminishing times then it might be some sort of component overheating but requires more analyzing so I will see how it goes tomorrow.

Spoke to Humax today who said they would email me a form to arrange getting the box exchanged/replaced but so far no email has arrived. They did say that although my product was registered that I would still need proof of purchase so need to find this bloody receipt

| Wed 27 Aug 2014 22:57:56 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Well thankfully I found my receipt. Filled in the warranty claim form (very simple) and Humax arranged for a replacement by courier within 2 days. Given my box was nearly 2 years old I expected that the replacement would be a refurb unit but it is a nice shiny brand new replacement

I'm very happy with the Humax customer service

I just wish that the HDR1000 would allow you to copy off recordings and then copy them back. I understand that this is a copy protection issue but they could surely allow you to copy the stuff off in an encrypted format and then only play them on the device that they originated from.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 10:32:45 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I just wish that the HDR1000 would allow you to copy off recordings and then copy them back. I understand that this is a copy protection issue but they could surely allow you to copy the stuff off in an encrypted format and then only play them on the device that they originated from.
    This is one reason I went for the HB-1000S, which has no HDD. When my current external drive reaches capacity I will slot in a new one, and so on until the box gives up the ghost.

Presumably you could do this with the HDR1000, by recording programmes you specially want to keep to a USB drive instead of the HDD?

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 12:10:45 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 52 seconds ago  » 

This is one reason I went for the HB-1000S, which has no HDD. When my current external drive reaches capacity I will slot in a new one, and so on until the box gives up the ghost.
    Presumably you could do this with the HDR1000, by recording programmes you specially want to keep to a USB drive instead of the HDD?

The freetime boxes do not allow export of any freetime recordings.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 12:12:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » 

Not export. Record to the USB drive instead of the HDD.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 12:23:21 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » 

Not export. Record to the USB drive instead of the HDD.

You can only do that on a HB1000S and then you can't use the drive with anything else. Freetime records to an encrypted partition.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 13:58:50 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.