My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Sound issue - Think Analogue output blown

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 2 minutes ago  » 
    As freesat control the UI, why would they see the need to record to second, or perhaps, third drive, when the unit has an internal hard disk.

Apparently, they don't. But to some customers, me for one, it's a good option to have.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 15:41:28 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

REPASSAC - 32 minutes ago  » 
    As freesat control the UI, why would they see the need to record to second, or perhaps, third drive, when the unit has an internal hard disk.

Seems an odd thing to ask, why does any manufacturer (TV platform) add features and try to improve their products ? (Isn't it the norm nowadays to have the ability to upgrade memory or backup some data to an external HDD)

Surely it's in Freesats interest to make their Freesat products as desirable as possible. They should at least try to compete with other platforms on the very basics like a short cut to favourite channels.

"End the Spend" but have less features than you're used to wouldn't sell many boxes would it.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 16:18:46 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Just a backup to an external and a restore feature would be brilliant. I had to format my last drive twice due to buffer issues e.g. not pausing live tv and each time I of course lost my recordings. This time it was a complete box swap so again lost all my recordings. They could even make it so it was a locked/encrypted backup that couldn't be played on other devices and could only be restored to a Humax device.

I'm not the only one to have lost recordings several times so come on Humax sort us out a backup feature please!!

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 16:34:45 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 

Actually, when you think about it, this surely must be a Humax issue, not a Freesat issue. Since Graham has commented that the situation is the same with the HDR-FoxT2 and the HD-FoxT2.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 16:38:01 #24 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Both older units and such a change would still impact freetime UI.

Mandlebrot - Encryption is handled by the PVR chip and every unit is unique (I guess that something like the MAC address is part of the encryption key)

I am hoping that Humax will add a buffer file delete and recreate to the disk cleanup. This would have been handy on the Foxsat as well.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 17:40:28 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I seriously doubt it's possible to record two channels at once via a usb port. You would need a esata/ide connection. Even the HB1000S would be capable of recording two (hence why you can watch one while recording one) apart from the usb connection limitation. Trying to handle the dual logic required for a pvr with twin tuners would be very difficult (Can you imagine the calls to customer support). I don't think there is a twin tuner device of any description capable of recording to an external drive solely connected by usb.

You can't copy more than 1 file at a time even using a usb3.0 connection.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 18:20:46 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Both older units and such a change would still impact freetime UI.

The point is, it's a Humax design issue. The older boxes did it this way, and it carried over to the Freesat models.

Freesat evidently don't mind if a box records to an external drive, since the HB1000 does exactly that. Why should they object to it on the HDR-1000?

Edit. As Graham has just pointed out - perhaps because of the twin tuners.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 18:24:50 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I seriously doubt it's possible to record two channels at once via a usb port. You would need a esata/ide connection. Even the HB1000S would be capable of recording two (hence why you can watch one while recording one) apart from the usb connection limitation. Trying to handle the dual logic required for a pvr with twin tuners would be very difficult (Can you imagine the calls to customer support). I don't think there is a twin tuner device of any description capable of recording to an external drive solely connected by usb.
    You can't copy more than 1 file at a time even using a usb3.0 connection.

Good point. Maybe that's the reason.

| Thu 4 Sep 2014 18:36:48 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mandlebrot

Hi again guys,

So as I said I now have a shiny new replacement from Humax but When the audio failed as I've previously said, I was watching a movie from my HD on the front USB (never used the Humax like this before). The movie was an Xvid AVI HD but I was only playing it through stereo.

Now I know that it's probable that a component just started over heating but I'm wondering if this file somehow blew the audio and if that is the case then I'm worried that it might happen again. Have any other users had the same issue?

| Tue 9 Sep 2014 11:22:04 #29 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.