My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Which Freesat box do I get?

(28 posts)
  1. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The low power standby on Sky boxes is pretty useless. Scheduled recordings don't work in this mode and it takes about 5 minutes for the box to boot up.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 18:09:33 #24 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 6 minutes ago  » 
    The low power standby on Sky boxes is pretty useless. Scheduled recordings don't work in this mode and it takes about 5 minutes for the box to boot up.

Yes but it's the excuse for Sky's non compliance with the spirit of EEC STB and TV power requirements (Sub 0.5W in standby). Anyone working out how much power all these units waste would be appalled.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 18:20:10 #25 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I have had the HDR 1000s 1TB since launch and am generally very happy with it. Three issues currently...
    (1) The black, blank screen when backing out of a recording. This is annoying but simply requires you to press EXIT on the R/C several times to get the channel picture & sound back. This stupid bug was introduced in the Jan 2014 s/w update.
    (2) The obtrusive shadow on the screen when you press the "i" key to get a pgm synopsis. On the recent s/w update they have fixed this on recordings. Interesting to see if they will/can fix it on live TV.
    (3) It is claimed to have a DLNA media client. I have found it useless.
    Aside from these the box does everything claimed of it, everything works as designed.
    There are design points in the EPG which I and many others hate. For example, the "Favourites" facility as implemented is useless, the only thing in its favour is it works as designed. However, I have overcome that by deleting all the channels I'm not interested in.
    When Freesat eventually sort out the s/w to my satisfaction I plan to buy more boxes.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 19:23:52 #26 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Thank you all for your input. I think John Lewis is the place I'll buy it, and they also give you several weeks to return it, if you're not satisfied. As most will agree, nothing is perfect. Sky, Virgin and others. At least with this, I'm not paying £37 per month, that's £444 a year! (Sky have are having a price increase in September)

So until I buy box, (should be about 18th July) I'll continue to watch the forum for tips and updates.

Cheers guys

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 20:20:20 #27 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I used to be a Sky customer and as far as I'm concerned the Humax is a better box than my Pace Sky+ HD box ever was. For the life of me I cannot understand these complaints about the Hummy remote. It's more of a tiny creak than a click. My take on this is that some people haven't enough going on in their lives if they can get steamed about such a tiny non issue.

I find the DLNA client quite reasonable - plays most things my NAS throws at it, though on balance my Panasonic TV has a greater library of codecs.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 20:50:12 #28 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Thank you all for your input. I think John Lewis is the place I'll buy it, and they also give you several weeks to return it, if you're not satisfied.

In my experience, John Lewis seem less generous about returns than in the past. Their policy states:

It's important that any unwanted item, unless faulty, is returned in a re-saleable condition. We'd expect this to mean that you've kept all original packaging and labels, and that it's undamaged and unused.
    I don't want to return a PVR unused. How can I find out any problems, except by using it?

I'd rather rely on the statutory rights, and check it out fast to return it in seven days.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 21:13:03 #29 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Faust...That's interesting...I also have a NAS (Qnap) it contains all my music, photos and videos. Whether or not they'll play through the Humax, we'll have to wait and see. It won't bother me if it doesn't, as I use the NAS for streaming my music to my Naim music system.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 21:15:47 #30 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

JamesB...Unlike TVs, I am yet to find a store that has a Humax Freesat STB actually connected up and working. So you can see the EPG working and decide whether or not you like it. You can go to Most stores and see various TVs working, then at least you can decide if you like the picture...and also discover whether or not the remote is a bit dodgy! if anyone knows of a store that has Humax Freesat STBs up and running, please tell me. I know for a fact that John Lewis, Currys etc do not.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 21:27:40 #31 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I agree that would be nice, but I doubt if you'll find one.

Anyway, it's actually better, IMO, to have the chance to play around with it in the context in which you want to use it.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 21:32:30 #32 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Ranger176 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Faust...That's interesting...I also have a NAS (Qnap) it contains all my music, photos and videos. Whether or not they'll play through the Humax, we'll have to wait and see. It won't bother me if it doesn't, as I use the NAS for streaming my music to my Naim music system.

I have the Synology, both good units and both more than capable. As I say it plays most things I throw at it. I don't use it for DLNA like I used to as our SMART tv is a tad more convenient and it can play everything from our HWT120 located in another part of the house. The Hummy can sometimes struggle playing things from the Panasonic, not so our Panasonic TV.

| Sun 29 Jun 2014 0:08:46 #33 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.