My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Which Freesat box do I get?

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Hi everyone...

I am new to the forum, and haven't actually purchased my Humax Freesat box yet. I gave Sky their 31 days notice last week, and can't quite decide on what Humax Freesat box to get. Originally, I had my heart set on the HDR-1000S, or even the HDR-1010S, as I love the white! But reading a recent post, it would appear that another option is to get the HB-1000S, and then buy a separate USB HDD. This works out quite a bit cheaper doing it that way, is this the reason for people getting the HB-1000S, rather than the HDR-1000S, or are there other reasons?

I don't really need WiFi as the box will sit next to my router, and I think Ethernet is probably more reliable.

I'm really looking forward to getting my new Freesat box, but which one? Your suggestions would most welcome.

Thanks

| Mon 23 Jun 2014 18:44:55 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

What are your requirements for recording and channel watching?
    HDR1000s & HDR1010s are twin tuners so you can record 2 channels or record one and watch another at the same time without any channel conflicts, it's even possible to record 2 channels while watching another with some restrictions of channels available.
    HB1000s is a single tuner so recording 2 channels or recording one channel and watching another at the same is a lot more restricted to the transponder being recorded from.

| Mon 23 Jun 2014 20:24:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Cheers -gonzo- for getting back to me...

A while ago, I used to record lot's of things, but of course since 'On Demand', this has reduced the need to record. However, it is something that I would use occasionally. As I said previously, some people buy the HB-1000S, then buy a separate USB HDD, making the setup a bit cheaper. But then you can't pause, or rewind live TV.

I have to say, I love the look of the HDR-1010S, but don't need 1TB, or Wi-Fi, as the box will sit next to my router.

Do you happen to know, how often Humax change the models of there Freesat boxes? I think the current range came out October 2012.

David

P.S. I do have twin LNB cable from my old Sky dish.

| Thu 26 Jun 2014 9:14:59 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

As I said previously, some people buy the HB-1000S, then buy a separate USB HDD, making the setup a bit cheaper. But then you can't pause, or rewind live TV.

Welcome to our Forum

You can pause and rewind live TV as long as you have buffer record switched on in General settings/recording menu.

See FAQ for HDD's I have tested so far.

| Thu 26 Jun 2014 9:28:05 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Ranger176 - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Do you happen to know, how often Humax change the models of there Freesat boxes? I think the current range came out October 2012.
    David

Usually with Humax they don't release a new model until the existing hardware doesn't meet the requirements for any new services the box needs to provide.
    In this case though freetime is Freesats baby so I'd assume Humax will only bring out a new model if and when Freesat say so.
    Vestel and Manhatten are due to be releasing their own freetime boxes in due coarse so maybe they could worth waiting for, but at the moment I'm not sure of an ETA for those boxes.

| Thu 26 Jun 2014 9:35:32 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Thank you...I have spoken to Manhattan, release date possibly November. But at the moment, I am in the Humax camp! The fact is, nothing is perfect. My sky+ box locks up every couple of weeks. Power off, full reboot to sort it. I have become used to the fact, that if a machine is software based, it will give you grief at some point, irrespective of the make.

I'm going to John Lewis, and see if they'll price match. I think I'll end up flicking a coin as to which model I buy!

| Thu 26 Jun 2014 16:47:45 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Hi everyone

I may well of mentioned this before in another topic, if I have, I apologise. I'm not getting my Freesat box until mid July, as that is when my Sky box/subscription runs out. I am 99% sure, that I will get the HDR-1000S or HDR-1010S. However, the more I read the negative points regarding the remote and buggy EPG (Shadows & Banners) this is beginning to worry me just a bit.

I have been with Sky for nearly 10 years and have been reasonably happy with their Sky+HD box. Of course, it's not perfect by any means, there are occasions where you still have to hit about 4 buttons to get somewhere. (The non clicking variety ) I am not on the Sky forum, but I'm sure there are people with various problems with their Sky box/software. No company can please every customer all of the time, but if hundreds of people complain about the same problem, then quite clearly, there is a problem, which should be sorted ASAP!

I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance from you guys, before I part with my £200.

Thanks

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 16:28:24 #20 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Ranger176 - The issues you refer to (except the blank screen after watching a recording to and past the very end) were designed in by freesat but not generally liked. The remote click (OK button) some like, others (quite a few) not.

The problem with looking at on-line comments is most happy people don't post. It reminds me of a CE white goods service guy, who when commenting on a brands models said he had more calls on this model than that. He overlooked (or did not know) that the 'more calls' model sold ten times the units of the other.

freesat has a nice but not over engineered epg uncluttered with channels which you cannot receive. It will also be more economic to use [Electricity] (unless you use the full standby option on newer Sky models with the very long boot time.)

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 16:59:11 #21 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Order it online from a reputable retailer and if you don't like it send it back within seven days under the Distance Selling Regulations.

I'm quite happy with my HB1000S. Nothing's perfect.

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 17:03:34 #22 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 1 minute ago  » 
    Order it online from a reputable retailer and if you don't like it send it back within seven days under the Distance Selling Regulations.
    I'm quite happy with my HB1000S. Nothing's perfect.

And me with my HDR-1000s [Main] and HB-1000S {Bedroom]

Edit: most think the picture is better than Sky units!

| Sat 28 Jun 2014 17:06:58 #23 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.