My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1000S Hard Disc

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

WHEATERSIOW

This is my first posting. My 1000s stopped working mid playback of a film at the weekend. I unplugged it, waited a while, replugged it but nothing. It had been from time to time showing no recorded programs but I would reboot it and they would come back. So, I thought it was the hard disc had failed. I had a good 1tb Western HDD which I had put in my last Sky box so I swopped it over which was easy BUT the Humax does not recognise it. When I select Settings/system settings/Storage press, nothing happens and having looked on Youtube it should give the option of formatting the HDD. Does this mean that the problem lies with the HDD controller and can this be easily fixed ? The rest of the Humax works fine i.e. the tuners. I phoned Humax but they declined to help. Your help would be much appreciated.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 6:20:04 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

This could be due to the power requirements of the W.D. drive.

Extract from a T.I. USB2 document.

"The host equipment provides a 5-V supply capable of, in the
    worst case, only 2.25 W of power. In some cases, this is
    clearly not enough for the peripheral, and an alternate
    power source such as a wall adapter or off-line power
    supply is used"

The very occasional empty recordings list on this and other 2nd generation Humax units has been seen by others, including myself. It is not thought to be a indication of a hard-disk problem.

Were both the disks an AV/CE type?

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 9:00:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

WHEATERSIOW

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I'm going on hols next week so I'm keen to get it fixed to record while we're away. I attach a pic of the hard disk I've put in. You may be able to see at 5v it takes 0.7A ..that makes 3.5 A I think. So you could well be right. It's for AV, it was recommended for a Sky box and it worked well. If I put it in an HDD caddy which I have and plug it in the back by usb and with a separate power feed do you think that would work ? .....but of course the failure may not be the HDD, but at least I would be ruling it out.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 9:19:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

WHEATERSIOW

Sorry I meant to say 3.5W. Also the pic wasn't allowed but the HDD is a Western WD10 EVDS -63N581

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 9:22:43 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Well worth a try. Try also connecting it to a PC to see that it is identified correctly with and without the powered caddy.
    It might just be a problem with the unpowered caddy.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 9:54:19 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

WHEATERSIOW - 4 hours ago  » 
    This is my first posting. My 1000s stopped working mid playback of a film at the weekend. I unplugged it, waited a while, replugged it but nothing. It had been from time to time showing no recorded programs but I would reboot it and they would come back. So, I thought it was the hard disc had failed. I had a good 1tb Western HDD which I had put in my last Sky box so I swopped it over which was easy BUT the Humax does not recognise it. When I select Settings/system settings/Storage press, nothing happens and having looked on Youtube it should give the option of formatting the HDD. Does this mean that the problem lies with the HDD controller and can this be easily fixed ? The rest of the Humax works fine i.e. the tuners. I phoned Humax but they declined to help. Your help would be much appreciated.

Just a thought, could it be that your HB1000S doesn't like the format / data recorded on the WD HDD from your SKY box. Have you tried formating it on a pc first?
    As REPASSAC said it could be lack of power 'ergs' from the Humax.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 11:27:00 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

WHEATERSIOW

Just tried it but still does not recognise it. I also tried a small hdd from a laptop and that didn't work. Also plugged it in the rear usb socket via a powered caddy. No response. Does this mean that some other component has failed ? Any way of testing ?

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 14:37:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

WHEATERSIOW

Sorry, forgot to say, I formatted it on my Macbook although I appreciate it must also be formatted by the Humax.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 14:40:05 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

WHEATERSIOW

Also just noticed that the fan doesn't come on. Is that significant or perhaps it's thermostatic ?

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 14:46:44 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Are we talking about a HB1000S or a HDR 1000S ?
    just checking.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 14:56:09 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.