My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1000S- Parts Of Recordings Missed During Playback

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mas220

Hi,

Looking for some advice regarding the above. I have a humax HDR1000S (out of warranty) which has recently started to miss small sections of recorded programmes, it happens on random channels at anytime.

For example last night I recorded the 7pm showing of emmerdale on itv hd and whilst watching the programme back the screen went blank for approx 10 seconds then continued on with the rest of the programme. The 8pm programme recorded perfectly fine.

I’ve contacted humax regarding the problem who advised me to perform a factory reset which I did but that didn’t help as the next scheduled recording that I setup (emmerdale) suffered the same problem! Having spoken to them again today they now advise a disk reformat, obviously I’m keen to avoid this if at all possible as it’s about 60% full of content I’ve kept/not watched.

Is this an issue that anybody else has had or does it seem symptomatic of a hard drive issue. Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 12:42:44 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It sounds very much like a small area of defective hard disk.
    Try NOT deleting the recordings(s) which have the problem so that the area is not reused.

If it still reoccurs then the disk is on its way out.

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 14:42:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mas220

Many thanks for your quick response. I feared that the disk may be on it’s way out. I’ll try not deleting problem recordings and see how I go.

Would I be right in thinking that there’s no way of backing up any recordings in the event that I replace the disk?

Thanks for your help, it’s appreciated.

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 15:46:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try pausing a live programme for 20 mins or so and then playing back. Does that give you similar symptoms. Basically it will help to resolve if the issue is a hard disk problem or a intermittent connection failure from the box to the lnb though that should appear on live programming unless the issue is on the disk area that stores the time shift buffer file.

As to backing up recordings more recent posts suggests that removing the HDD and connecting it to a PC booted into linux in a drive cradle will in fact allow the recording files to be copied to a PC and restored to a new drive. Way back when the box was new I did try this and was unable to access the recording partition.

The same procedure would also allow the use of a non destructive Linux file system check and repair utility (Like Windows FixDisk).

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 21:21:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mas220

Thanks Graham, again much appreciate the advice. Will examine the connections into the dish over the weekend when I’ve got more time. However, having tried to live pause, the unit won’t let me it’s saying “this function doesn’t work whilst retrieving data for time shift buffer”, I’m guessing another indication of a hard drive problem? Not noticed this before although to be fair it’s not often that live pause is used.

Useful advice regarding backup of data, I fear I maybe venturing down this path!!

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 22:23:13 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mas220 - 3 mins ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, again much appreciate the advice. Will examine the connections into the dish over the weekend when I’ve got more time. However, having tried to live pause, the unit won’t let me it’s saying “this function doesn’t work whilst retrieving data for time shift buffer”, I’m guessing another indication of a hard drive problem? Not noticed this before although to be fair it’s not often that live pause is used.
    Useful advice regarding backup of data, I fear I maybe venturing down this path!!

The time shift buffer file is the area of the hard disk that is constantly continously written and overwritten. Not surpisingly it's the most likely area of the HDD to fail. Pretty certain Humax advice to re-format is likely to work but of course the video partition will also be overwritten. It's an indication that the HDD has some issues.

Foxsat-HDR owners with the Custom Firmware can simply delete the time shift file (0.ts).and simply re-naming it to move it to a different area of the HDD. to force the OS to re-create it , Sadly Humax did not learn from this (bring back BOB-Cat a early contributor to this forum who actually worked for Humax who contributed the fore-runner of ths forum and made the Foxsat-HDR the best Humax Freesat+ pvr ever,

Sadly Freesat decided that the 2nd generation Freesat licensed boxes would allow Humax to build the hardware, and they would build and control the software. The rest is history. The resulting software is still littered with frankly stupid decisions (the order that recordings are presented - ordered by episode number rather than by date/time and recording). They setup their own forum and then ignored postings (even ignoring 100% repeatable issues with the bugs in the software) and even banned posters posting completely reproducible software bugs.

Frankly they have such an arrogant attitude they still can cannot comprehend the the simplest of concepts (the earliest episode of a series regardless of the episode number and broadcaster series number should appear at the top of the list when selecting a series recording based on Time/Date or at least as a display option. Currently the series takes precedence. Unfortunately the broadcasters do not follow the same convention. In a long running serial like the popular soaps Episode 150 broadcast on say 1st Jun 2019 can be followed by episode 1 on the folowing day as the broadcaster resets the eposide number.

Even worse when the broadcasteer actually follows the correct CRID identification.

Eg Multiple series of Father Brown using the same series CRID.

Eg Episode 1 of Series 1 appears first, Episode 6 of series 3 appears last regardless of date. Result a complete shambles. How can we get Freesat to sort out this stupid situation, I for one will approach OFCOM. Anyone else inclined to help and any other suggestions gratefully received.

I do not believe they have any one that actually uses the software like us mere mortals,

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 23:27:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well given Humax are reported to be pulling out of the Freesat market and Arris are making the next gen boxes are things set to get better or worse Graham? What's your view?

| Wed 17 Jul 2019 23:56:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mas220

Agree 100% with everything you’ve said.

Had the box from the start, endured the endless problems at the beginning, things which quite frankly should have been picked up through testing prior to boxes going onto the market.

We all know that hard drives and other components can fail at anytime, I find it staggering that the boxes were not equipped with a means by which users can back up there existing recordings to an external drive via usb (as you would backup a pc or laptop), surely this facility could have been added even with some sort of encryption which would only allow playback or transfer back to the box from which it was originally recorded.

It’s crazy that the answer to attempt to fix anything wrong is format the hard drive which equals lose all your recordings. Frustrating beyond belief!

Again i’d Like to thank yourself and REPASSAC for your advice. It’s clear from reading through lots of posts on the forum that you both have spent an awful lot of time trying to help people with their humax issues.

| Thu 18 Jul 2019 0:18:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mas220

Graham, you mention approaching OFCOM but have you thought about pushing the issues with something like the BBC Watchdog programme they are always interested in big consumer issues. I realise I’m effectively saying you do it but obviously your aware of all the issues. I genuinely can’t think of another piece of electronics equipment that you are not able to regularly back up in case of an equipment failure. This might be a consumer issue to explore with the programme, that could lead into bringing to light all the other issues. Just a thought.

| Thu 18 Jul 2019 11:48:15 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tpost

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    Well given Humax are reported to be pulling out of the Freesat market and Arris are making the next gen boxes are things set to get better or worse Graham? What's your view?

Does anyone have any information on an Arris launch date. I believe sometime this year is the only info available.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 15:05:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.