My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

1100s Poor Sound

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

fire-stars

I recently purchased an 1100s and am starting to regret it to be honest.

I'm having real issues with the sound which is very muffled indeed and makes using the device infuriating for me.

We have moved home recently and the problem occurred across two separate sat dishes, two lots of intental calling and multiple HDMI cables. The TV itself is fine through my Nas server or other media, so I can safely say that ok also.

Are there any settings I can look at to help me determine if I have a faulty unit?

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 21:02:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fire-stars

It seems I have posted this in the wrong forum, hard to see on my phone

Could someone move it for me please?

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 21:15:55 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

1. Post moved as requested.

2. Ensure volume control on the HDR remote is turned up to full. Then use TV remote to control volume.

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 21:21:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

fire-stars

Thanks Barry.

I've tried sound up, down and in between. The sound level itself is fine. It's the distortion behind the sound that is driving me up the wall.

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 21:23:40 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Is the issue the same on SD and HD channels ? Have you used the HDMI inputs on your TV for other sound sources ? Does your TV have a scart or other audio inputs allowing a check using the box dac (digital audio converter) rather than the TV's.

Seems very unlikely to be the box, it's merely passing on the digital audio as transmitted/recorded (MP2 for SD and AC3 for HD). The sound quality is entirely down to the TV converting digital audio to analogue (it's own DAC) before the TV audio amplifier sends it to the TV speakers, or if you use the box DAC the audio goes straight to the TV audio amplifier via analogue inputs.

Have you got a home stereo system with spare inputs ?

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 22:09:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

fire-stars - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've tried sound up, down and in between. The sound level itself is fine. It's the distortion behind the sound that is driving me up the wall.

As Barry said, sound needs to be at 100% on Humax, no ifs or buts. Also I'd set audio output as stereo and not multi-channel in the Humax settings menu.

Your TV may have individual settings for inputs for volume and tone, check these. Also switch off any TV sound processing, i.e. music/sport/movie etc. this includes things like dynamic volume range, dynamic noise, surround, dolby processing etc.

As Graham said, the sound is digital all the way through to the TV. There isn't really anywhere else for distortion to be introduced except on the TV, leave all the enhancements off and tone flat and you should get a clear sound. If you achieve this you should be able to tweak settings step by step later to give you a better personal sound

My partner always tells me I sound muffled when we speak on the phone which bugs me; however she says that to a few people so get a 2nd opinion. My Humax is fed through a sound system and nothing is touched. As soon as I adjust/distort sound settings for a better sound on one programme it'll be worse 5 mins later on a different programme. There is still the odd programme where the sound just isn't right from the broadcaster and tweaking here will only make it worse for other programmes.

| Fri 17 Feb 2017 0:50:40 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

fire-stars

Thank you for the replies. Let me take another look over the weekend and see what I come up with.

Thanks again.

| Fri 17 Feb 2017 8:04:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

fire-stars

There is nothing worse that someone joining a forum, asking one question and then never being seen again.

Well, after starting from scratch and ensuing the sound was up full on the Hummy, things sound a lot better this time around. Perhaps the box knew I was complaining about it on here? Who knows, either way thanks! I can now watch the TV again without going mad.

| Sat 18 Feb 2017 20:53:54 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Thank you for updating us.

| Sat 18 Feb 2017 20:58:30 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.