My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

Tell us about your Humax Product

(184 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

aimdev - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have an old foxsat satellite receiver, works great, GUI good, remote ok
    I have new FVP 4000 terrestrial receiver, rubbish GUI, remote became eligible after a short time, disappearing recordings.
    Wont be upgrading the satellite or terrestrial box with a Humax

The newer boxes including the 4000/5000T have superior picture quality to the Foxsat-HDR. If I stream my Foxsat-HDR recordings to my HDR-1000S the picture is noticeably improved.

| Wed 14 Feb 2018 11:40:41 #181 |
  2. black knight

black knight

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 

aimdev - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have new FVP 4000 terrestrial receiver, rubbish GUI, remote became eligible after a short time, disappearing recordings.

The newer boxes including the 4000/5000T have superior picture quality to the Foxsat-HDR. If I stream my Foxsat-HDR recordings to my HDR-1000S the picture is noticeably improved.

-
    While the Foxsat picture is a little softer than the more modern boxes, it's worth noting that many of the satellite SD channels are broadcast at a higher resolution than their freeview counterparts and this does somewhat negate the issue.
    I also find that putting my Foxsat output to 'Original' means that the poor upscaling of SD by the box is bypassed and done by the tv instead, so more detail is retained. That's something simply not possible with the new Humax boxes.
    HD can look a bit sharper on my 1000S than on the Foxsat, but for me it's not enough to worry about and still looks perfectly good.

| Thu 15 Feb 2018 19:18:50 #182 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

black knight - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 

aimdev - 1 hour ago  » 

-
    While the Foxsat picture is a little softer than the more modern boxes, it's worth noting that many of the satellite SD channels are broadcast at a higher resolution than their freeview counterparts and this does somewhat negate the issue.
    I also find that putting my Foxsat output to 'Original' means that the poor upscaling of SD by the box is bypassed and done by the tv instead, so more detail is retained. That's something simply not possible with the new Humax boxes.
    HD can look a bit sharper on my 1000S than on the Foxsat, but for me it's not enough to worry about and still looks perfectly good.

Setting a Foxsat to output original makes the epg look dreadful while viewing a SD channel and it's a pain when switching between HD and SD content with many TV's.

| Thu 15 Feb 2018 19:21:41 #183 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orpheus2000

I dumped my FoxSat HDR in favour of a 1TB 1100S: my wife has had a Freeview YouView box from the phone provider for some time, and I noticed that the Programme Guide was updated and and is well organised.
    My Freeview 1100S, however, has a poor PG which is even worse than the old FoxSat one. The software also lacks some of the functionality of the FoxSat:
    Recordings have to reach the very end bfefore they will leave the “Still to be watched” list.
    There is no File Manager
    Files can’t be copied to memory sticks
    The PG doesn’t use enough of the screen
    The first column of the PG can’t be set to the half-hour point of one’s choosing.
    There are no vertical lines dividing the programmes on the PG
    The time of the recording is not shown so as to indicate the sequence of two parts of a film
    You can’t edit recording entries, i.e. set up the parameters manually.
    You can’t edit names of recordings (because there’s no file manager)
    You can’t reset a recording to “Still to watch” status, after accidentally starting to watch the “wrong” recording.

Same as with the FoxSat, the genre selection (“List”) is pointless: “Movies”, for example, simply isolates Film4, which is not much use.

Not impressed.

| Sun 8 Apr 2018 13:04:24 #184 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.