My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

2000T died last week

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bruggers100

Well, I've had the 2000T just over 2 years, and it's decided to die. Recently, it started to switch itself off and only disconnecting the power from the lead would get it going again, but now it's unresponsive to anything I try. If it does start up it just goes to the first boot up screen and then dies. I believe it's probably to do with overheating.

I tried to back up the hard drive before it got to this stage, but the machine would cut out before I could copy anything across. So now I am stuck with lots of films etc that I can't get off the hard drive.

I've sourced a replacement, an FVP 400, so hopefully it will be a little more reliable than the 2000T (I have not been impressed with it as it has had loads of issues).

Does anyone know whether the hard drive's are the same for these models ? I was thinking that I could swap them out so I can get the films etc I have on the existing hard drive moved over to an external hard drive. And then swap back.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 12:43:51 #1 |
  2. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

If you have a USB to SATA adapter (data and power) you can remove the hard drive from the HDR-2000T and connect it to a PC or another PVR. However the recordings are encrypted on disk so you will not be able to play them on another device. If you can get the unit working, copying standard definition recordings to a USB drive using the remote control will decrypt them.
    Do you think that the unit has been damaged by overheating in the past? The unit would have to get quite warm to cause lasting damage. It could be a internal problem, but it might also be the external power supply unit that is at fault.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 13:41:56 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bruggers100

I'm not certain about the overheating, I was just assuming as I have a PS3 on top of the 2000T in an enclosed cabinet. The PS3 gets very hot and combined with the 2000 being on, I'm not sure it would have done any good. I won't be doing that with the new box !

Regarding the power supply unit, I did think that so check the volts at the connector. Switched on it read 12.2v from memory, so I assumed it was ok. However, when reconnecting the lead to the box, sometimes it would start to re-boot, sometimes not. The hard drive also intermittently started to boot up. I tried to contact Humax and their response to it all was to buy a refurbished model as it would be cheaper than sending it back. The repairs would start at £100. I've tried a couple of independent repair places, and didn't get a positive response about repairing a Humax. I did think about getting a replacement power supply unit, but didn't as I thought it was working ok as the voltage was fine. I presumed it was a fault on the board.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 14:23:27 #3 |
  4. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

It may not be easy to troubleshoot this problem. Take a look at this thread here. The DTR-T1000 is known for having capacitor issues. I have also seen the problem with a revised hardware HDR-FOX T2. Both of these models have 12V only PSUs (internal). If the HDR-2000T has similar capacitors to those models on the main board I would try replacing them. New capacitors are inexpensive and replacing them is not hard if you are familiar with using a soldering iron.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 14:43:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bruggers100

Thanks for the pointer.

That's why I have got the replacement box coming. I don't know if it's worth the hassle trying to diagnose the problem. I don't have a soldering iron (although I am able to use one) and my knowledge about testing for faults on circuit boards is non existent !

If I have one working unit, then I presumed I could swap out the hard drives. I may go down the route you suggested of usb to SATA and copy across to the PC and then onto an external hard drive, which can then be played on the Humax.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 15:02:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bruggers100 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I may go down the route you suggested of usb to SATA and copy across to the PC and then onto an external hard drive, which can then be played on the Humax.

Which Humax are you going to play the content on?

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 16:27:34 #6 |
  7. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

It is not practical to swap out the hard drive. The drive from the HDR-2000T would need to be formatted by the FVP-4000T to work which would delete your recordings, and you would invalidate the warranty when you opened the case.
    The HDR-2000T recordings are encrypted on disk so unless you can get the original unit working you have lost your recordings. They will be unplayable even if you put the disk in another HDR-2000T.

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 16:40:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bruggers100

The new unit is 2nd hand so I presume there is no warranty on it.

So are you saying that the content I already have on an external drive won't play on the fvp because it was originally recorded on the 2000. If so, I am going to be a little upset.

Also, I don't have the know how to fix the 2000 so I am basically going to lose everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

| Tue 23 Aug 2016 20:54:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bruggers100 - 3 hours ago  » 
    So are you saying that the content I already have on an external drive won't play on the fvp because it was originally recorded on the 2000.

The content is encrypted not to a model (eg HDR-2000T) but to a specific box. You can only remove the encryption on the specific box that made the recording.

| Wed 24 Aug 2016 0:27:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bruggers100

Great news, so I have to get the 2000 going then if I want to save things I've recorded.

Are there any shops that repair Humax products in the south ? I found someone who advertises to repair them only for them to say they don't. Whilst I've been given pointers on potential capacitor problems, I presume the motherboard is not going to be the same as DTR-T1000, so I am shooting in the dark on what to replace.

Also, when you say remove encryption, how would one go about doing that ?

The more I learn about Humax the more I am thinking of moving away from them !

| Wed 24 Aug 2016 9:17:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.