My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

2015 - The year Humax lost the plot?

(24 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

A light hearted look back at this year...

HDR 1100S:

1. Launched with led positioned on bottom of unit so the light shines down?

2. Initially had same colour LED (red) to indicate standby and recording, later software changed recording colour to purle ish - not that it helps see para 1.

FVP 4000T:

1. Launched: New shape I commented to Humax as 'looks like a meat pie' other comments (reviews) 'faux leather stitched top' sorry no way is it that, definitely a meat pie

2. Remote control not well received because of:

a. No dedicated info button
    b. No dedicated skip buttons
    c. No dedicated Media (recordings) button

3. Same colour of LED (red) to indicate standby and recording

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 12:34:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Barry - 22 minutes ago  » 
    HDR 1100S:

This seems to be a current trend as my new Samsung TV has exactly the same. Fortunately my TV sits on a glass TV stand and the light reflects off so it's visible from any angle, and would also work well if wall mounted. Very good, but I suspect hopeless if the TV were to be positioned on wooden furniture as my others are.
    It's interesting that having worked their way through the first two years of the 1000S with its buggy, badly designed s/w from Freesat, only in the last year becoming fairly stable (current problems aside), that Humax seem to have learned nothing. I'm currently happy with my HDR and 3 HBs, but fingers crossed as I don't want to experience any more Humax products for a long time to come.

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 13:09:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Yep, all those things, although I'm only going by reviews and forum comments as I don't own either box.

The Humax box I do own, the single-tuner USB-recorder HB1000S, is a little treasure IMO. It doesn't suffer from any of the design flaws mentioned, fault reports are comparatively few, and it's excellent value for money, yet 2015 has gone by without any attempt by Humax to follow up on this success by for instance bringing out a single-tuner USB recorder box for FreeView or FreeView Play. Such a box would probably sell like hotcakes. Come on, Humax!

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 13:12:20 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Barry - 49 minutes ago  » 
    HDR 1100S:

Perhaps a slow reaction to the complaints about the Foxsat display panel being very bright.

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 13:25:44 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Barry - 7 hours ago  » .....
    FVP 4000T:
    1. Launched: New shape I commented to Humax as 'looks like a meat pie' other comments (reviews) 'faux leather stitched top' sorry no way is it that, definitely a meat pie

Definately, and I thought I was alone. Certainly propelled me towards Panasonic to replace my trusty 9200, I prefer a more traditional shape for my AV kit.

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 20:32:21 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

REPASSAC - 19 hours ago  » 

Barry - 49 minutes ago  » 
    HDR 1100S:

Perhaps a slow reaction to the complaints about the Foxsat display panel being very bright.

Given the LED replacement(s) is/are next to useless, they should have just sent dark sticky tape to those complaining

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 9:24:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

You could have mentioned that the 2000T is exactly the same with the slight variations in the colour of red to distinguish between recording and standby.

I think the chief designer is a plant sent by the opposition to wreck the company.

They should take a look at the Panasonic's - UI leaves a lot to be desired but an altogether better screwed together product.

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 10:06:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

simonf1

I got a Humax HDR 1000s just over a year ago and i hated it from day one, but stuck with it, However 4 days ago it stopped recognizing the hard drive, absolute pile of Cr_p this device was.

Pros and Cons for my HDR 1000s

Pros : hmm hmm its small

Cons:
    1) will fail to record from time to time for no reason.
    2) Takes ages to boot
    3) Remote control buttons click every time you press them.
    4) Can't pause for less than 3 sec as it just jumps back to live feed if less than 3 sec behind, no good if you want to sync F1 audio and stream that's 2sec behind live.
    5) on demand sucks and freetime is a waste of time, i use my pc its better.
    6) Seems a fault in the Motherboard and SATA is a problem and if like me your box might last you 1 year.
    7) feels cheap but cost a lot
    display symbols are a joke and you need to turn the device on just to see what the box is doing unless you have 20/20 vision.

I'm sure if i think hard enough i could come up with more cons that i just forgot about.

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 15:28:36 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

simonf1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Cons:
    1) will fail to record from time to time for no reason.
    2) Takes ages to boot
    3) Remote control buttons click every time you press them.
    4) Can't pause for less than 3 sec as it just jumps back to live feed if less than 3 sec behind, no good if you want to sync F1 audio and stream that's 2sec behind live.
    5) on demand sucks and freetime is a waste of time, i use my pc its better.
    6) Seems a fault in the Motherboard and SATA is a problem and if like me your box might last you 1 year.
    7) feels cheap but cost a lot
    display symbols are a joke and you need to turn the device on just to see what the box is doing unless you have 20/20 vision.
    I'm sure if i think hard enough i could come up with more cons that i just forgot about.

1. Think these are broadcaster issues.
    2. About 35 secs is fast for a cold boot is quite fast (using < 0.5w).
    4. It can't be many that want to do this.
    6. I doubt it's any problem with the motherboard or the hard disk. My guess is that a firmware problem is more probable.

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 17:03:26 #9 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Can we keep to the topic please - 2015.

The idea was to draw attention to the 'issues' on product launches this year.

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 18:36:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.