My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

2015 - The year Humax lost the plot?

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

On a more serious note can anyone suggest a reason why Humax appear to have gone so off script? Design is subjective but some of the things they have done with implementation, software/hardware are just bizarre.

Example, why re-design a remote (4000T) when the reviews for Humax existing design by trade reviewers is always so positive. From all accounts this new remote is simply pants.

I realise that simonf1 doesn't like the clicking remote - personally I love it and wish all remotes had such a positive click.

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 23:50:05 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Faust - 12 minutes ago  » 
    On a more serious note can anyone suggest a reason why Humax appear to have gone so off script? Design is subjective but some of the things they have done with implementation, software/hardware are just bizarre.
    Example, why re-design a remote (4000T) when the reviews for Humax existing design by trade reviewers is always so positive. From all accounts this new remote is simply pants.

Does the FVP4000T remote resemble the 4Tune remote by any chance?

Attachments

1. image.jpg (9 KB, 13 downloads) 8 years old
    | Thu 31 Dec 2015 0:03:47 #12 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

James, Yes it does:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=613&pid=3

Bar the obvious missing buttons I do not find the remote all that bad 'clicks' from the central buttons or positive feedback if you prefer.

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 0:39:46 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Seems the speculation about the FVP4000T being based on 4tune may have been correct.
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humax-and-freeview-play#post-35721

Might explain some of the teething problems.

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 0:53:24 #14 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

If memory serves from conversations with Humax Towers the UI first appeared on Humax products in the German market....I notice they don't appear to get the 'meat pie' shaped units

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 13:23:50 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barry - 15 minutes ago  » 
    If memory serves from conversations with Humax Towers the UI first appeared on Humax products in the German market....I notice they don't appear to get the 'meat pie' shaped units

They would have to be sausage shaped for the German market

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 13:40:21 #16 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » 

Barry - 15 minutes ago  » 

They would have to be sausage shaped for the German market

pmsl - so much it hurts

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 13:50:00 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Barry - 49 minutes ago  » 

German iCord Evolution has got a review on Amazon.de from December 2013.

The Australian 4Tune HMS-1000T was launched alongside Australia's freeview play in September 2014.

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 14:10:13 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I think as a general overview Humax have lacked a certain focus and ultimate quality control for a while. Im not sure what year they lost the plot but I sense its been a bit up and down for them

When I saw the 8000T, even with its 40gb hard drive I thought this is a company that means business. It was a quality product that shook up a market full of plastic rubbish with slow channel change times and software glitches like freezing.

The 9000 series seemed to have software update issues, fan always on,fan noise issues and clock failure issues.

I sense than a period when it was going well(perhaps the Fox) but they crowded the product range with DTR vs HDR prefixes...youview and freesat. It just got a bit confusing as to what the latest freeview model was and who they were allowing to put branding on them. I think there was a 1000 a 1010 etc and various fascias for very similar models.

Then they started building to a price to compete with others in the battle to lower prices. The HDR 2000T is flawed but looked more inspiring on the shelf than a very plastic looking Panasonic with tiny function leds in the corner. A fair point is that there was little else in the price area that looked tempting. However its not hard to add a three colour led and some extra care in presentation

I dont know how the crowded transmission and British transmission standards complicates matters, if at all.

Having owned a 8000T and briefly a 9200 I relied on some brand loyalty

Ok this is just my viewpoint and I missed generations and was then shocked by the hard drive noise in the Humax economy model.
    The 4000 designer series doesnt inspire me. Im just looking for them to launch a rock solid, quiet, standard looking box that does what it says on the box and gets rave reviews I will certainly be looking to pay more than bargain basement to get what Im looking for

Best wishes

| Sun 4 Jun 2017 16:45:56 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Minstrel SE - 39 minutes ago  » 
    The 9000 series seemed to have software update issues, fan always on,fan noise issues and clock failure issues.

Again I have a very different view of things. There were a lot of software updates for the 9200T but that was because Humax were listening to their customers and adding functionality with each release. I bought an early 9200T and watched it develop from basic, set recordings to start and finish at specified times recorder to a fully fledged Freeview recorder with Series Link and accurate recording. One could argue that Humax pushed the hardware a little too far but at least they were trying to react to what the customers wanted. I think the number of people complaining about fan noise on the 9200T was tiny; you obviously have very sensitive hearing. The clock problem only emerged after units had been in service for several years (five years in our case) and user Biggles on here came up with an explanation of the problem and a straightforward DIY solution. Apart from the clock issue the 9200T hardware has been pretty robust with very failure reports for other Humax designed components.

I sense than a period when it was going well(perhaps the Fox) but they crowded the product range with DTR vs HDR prefixes...youview and freesat. It just got a bit confusing as to what the latest freeview model was and who they were allowing to put branding on them. I think there was a 1000 a 1010 etc and various fascias for very similar models.

I agree the HDR-FOX T2 is probably the best recorder Humax have produced for the UK market and we are still using one. It wasn't Humax who came up with the different standards such as Youview and Freesat but it is hardly surprising they offered boxes for the different standards. Forums like this exist to try and guide confused users through the maze of options.

Then they started building to a price to compete with others in the battle to lower prices. The HDR 2000T is flawed

That is your opinion; we have an HDR-2000T and it continues to give good service and we have no regrets about the purchase. There are some bugs in the software that Humax could have corrected but nothing that for us is show stopping.

| Sun 4 Jun 2017 17:43:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.