My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

4000T: some, but not all, recordings corrupted

(22 posts)
  1. Jeremy Marchant

Jeremy Marchant

The unit has only been in operation a few days, so I am still finding my feet.

When I play some of the recordings I've made, the picture and sound break up, making them unwatchable. But other recordings (the majority?, the most recent?) are OK.

The problem affects recordings I have made from BBC1, BBC2, C4, but I believe I have had good recordings from these channels, too (certainly from BBC2 and C4).

In one case, I had recordings from programmes that were broadcast consecutively (episodes of The Simpsons last Sunday), the first of which was corrupted, the second wasn't.

I can watch live tv without problem. The tv is a Sony Bravia KDL-32D3000 (2007 or later).

When I first set up the 4000, I had a blank screen and an error message along the lines of "This tv won't display the content because it is not fitted with HDCP". (A situation on which the instruction booklet was blissfully silent.)

Trawling the web, I found a Sony site which (amazingly) recommended that I unplug the Humax, wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. (Amazingly) this worked. I still get the message, but the tv goes ahead anyway and shows whatever the Humax feeds it. (I am obviously watching SD channels only, though I can see HD ones too.)

I assume HDCP is a red herring because it only applies to HD, but there appears there might be some sort of "handshake" problem.

I don't know whether the tv has HDCP installed or not and, if it does, whether it has the most recent version. Or whether this is at all relevant.

I leave the Humax switched on all the time. (Sometimes the light goes red = standby, but it carries on recording anyway.)

I switch the tv to standby when I have finished watching it.

| Wed 11 Nov 2015 17:17:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pharmacologist 51

Hi Jeremy,

"site which (amazingly) recommended that I unplug the Humax, wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. (Amazingly) this worked."

I'm sorry I can't help (Barry will be able to say something constructive) but I and a number of others don't seem to able to get to the stage of learning what the red blobs are on the left hand side as we are always jumping up to do a cold re-boot by pulling the plug out, or once it's on - just leave it on, it probably won't switch on again if you annoy it by turning it off.

| Fri 13 Nov 2015 11:44:39 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

This is not going to be much help, but for a start the LED being red indicates unit in standby and also when it is recording, this appears to have caused confusion for a few users.

Hopefully Humax will see sense and change it as they did on the HDR 1100S, recording is indicated with the LED being purple 'ish' (not that it is much use as they stuck the LED on the underside of the unit )

| Fri 13 Nov 2015 13:02:43 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

pharmacologist 51 - 1 hour ago  » 
    (Barry will be able to say something constructive) but I and a number of others don't seem to able to get to the stage of learning what the red blobs are on the left hand side.

red blobs, puzzled as to what you mean, where are you seeing these precisely?

| Fri 13 Nov 2015 13:05:12 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jeremy - can you check your epg. Do you have channel numbers over 800 ?

| Fri 13 Nov 2015 13:21:10 #5 |
  6. Jeremy Marchant

Jeremy Marchant

Graham, I have channels up to 840.
    I'm intrigued to findout why this is relevant.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 17:42:54 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jeremy Marchant - 1 minute ago  » 

Graham, I have channels up to 840.
    I'm intrigued to findout why this is relevant.

That's because you have stored channels from multiple transmitters. The duff recordings will most likely be from the weaker transmitters. Basically you need to identify which transmitter is your best source.

Enter your postcode here

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/About_DTT/The_postcode_coverage_checker

Note the UHF numbers used for each mux and note the HD ones.

Not having a FVP-4000T I csan only give a general idea how to proceed. Firstly you need to delete all your existing radio and TV channels. Then using manuzl tune enter each of the mux numbers setting DVB-T for SD and DVB-T2 for HD. Scan each mux in turn and save the results.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 17:51:03 #7 |
  8. Jeremy Marchant

Jeremy Marchant

That's because you have stored channels from multiple transmitters. The duff recordings will most likely be from the weaker transmitters. Basically you need to identify which transmitter is your best source.

Graham, that's very plausible. Here in Stroud, Glos, I believe I do have a choice of transmitters. (It's also somewhat hilly round here.)
    Whilst this was never a problem with my previous Humax, I will certainly do as you suggest this evening and report back.
    Thanks for the advice.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 18:09:17 #8 |
  9. Jeremy Marchant

Jeremy Marchant

Then using manuzl tune enter each of the mux numbers setting DVB-T for SD and DVB-T2 for HD. Scan each mux in turn and save the results.

Hi Graham, your answer has defeated me. Firstly the webpage to which you directed me doesn't contain the terms mux or UHF, so I am not able to do as you suggest. And, even Google doesn't recognise the term "manuzl".

Secondly, don't forget we are talking about a Humax product here so, if you're unfamiliar with this one, you can be certain that the user interface has been designed to be gratuitously annoying, difficult to use and accompanied by a leaflet which contains virtually nothing of use.

In this case, all options bar the "signal test" one have been grayed out of the "channel settings" menu option on screen, so it appears impossible to delete the channels, even if I knew which ones to replace them with.

As an aside, a relatively trivial problem I have is that all recordings start two minutes into the show. Is there any way to find out on screen how to sort this fault out? No. In the leaflet? No.

It was this incompetent lack of documentation which led me to this forum in the first place.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 22:37:50 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jeremy Marchant - 26 minutes ago  » 

Then using manuzl tune enter each of the mux numbers setting DVB-T for SD and DVB-T2 for HD. Scan each mux in turn and save the results.

Hi Graham, your answer has defeated me. Firstly the webpage to which you directed me doesn't contain the terms mux or UHF, so I am not able to do as you suggest. And, even Google doesn't recognise the term "manuzl".
    Secondly, don't forget we are talking about a Humax product here so, if you're unfamiliar with this one, you can be certain that the user interface has been designed to be gratuitously annoying, difficult to use and accompanied by a leaflet which contains virtually nothing of use.
    In this case, all options bar the "signal test" one have been grayed out of the "channel settings" menu option on screen, so it appears impossible to delete the channels, even if I knew which ones to replace them with.
    As an aside, a relatively trivial problem I have is that all recordings start two minutes into the show. Is there any way to find out on screen how to sort this fault out? No. In the leaflet? No.
    It was this incompetent lack of documentation which led me to this forum in the first place.

If the box was recording or about to record at the time then many menu options will not be available.

I have used the postcode of the cinema in Stroud and get the attached results.

You best transmitter with full Freeview coverage is Wenvoe (close to Cardiff).

Wenvoe UHF MUX

DVB-T 41 44 42 39 DVB-T2 47 31 93

Hopefully someone with the new box will post the required manual tuning procedure. (One for the 4000T faq).

Attachments

1. Wenvoe.jpg (162.5 KB, 7 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sat 14 Nov 2015 23:16:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.