My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

4000T: some, but not all, recordings corrupted

(22 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

For manuzl read manual.

Were you recording or playing back a recording when you checked the channel settings menu?

On the Digital UK page returned after you enter postcode the 'muxes' are entitled BBCA, D3&4, SDN, ARQA, etc etc, the UHF channel number you need to input is listed under the letter 'N' for each mux.

To delete all channels on the FVP 4000T:

Home button
    Settings
    Channel Settings
    Edit Channel List
    press the + key and highlight select all press ok, press + again highlight delete and press ok.

or later edit after I proved...

Start an auto scan and immediately stop and save.

Edit: Graham beat me to it with further info...

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 23:17:31 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Two points, to get Wenvoe your aerial needs to have it's elements horizontal and pointing West South West. Neighbours aerials should give a clue. The other transmitters are relays and the aerial orientation will be vertical. Wenvoe is 50Mls WSW of Stroud.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 23:48:45 #12 |
  3. Jeremy Marchant

Jeremy Marchant

Thanks for the replies which I will study and act on later.

It does seem unlikely that the aerial is misaligned, though: I've lived here 13 years without a problem and can watch live tv without problem.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 10:48:45 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jeremy Marchant - 4 minutes ago  » 
    It does seem unlikely that the aerial is misaligned, though: I've lived here 13 years without a problem and can watch live tv without problem.

You will also be able to watch live TV using your FVP-4000T if you are indeed using Wenvoe and you find the logical channel numbers that these channels have finished up on as a result of autotune.

Your TV is not a pvr and does not need to watch for the accurate recording start and stop signals from the broadcasters and follow series. It's issues with multiple sources of these that creates the issues.

We do not know which of the three transmitters your aerial is aligned on. In the past you may have not been able to receive Wenvoe, the large increase in power at DSO (analogue shut down), means that reception is possible over a much larger area.

| Sun 15 Nov 2015 10:58:57 #14 |
  5. viccot

viccot

You also need to check the aerial lead and connectors. A damaged connector appears to have caused this fault to occur on mine.

If you use your aerial lead for both VHF and UHF, with combiner and splitter, consider running separate cables.

| Sat 26 Mar 2016 8:41:26 #15 |
  6. Jeremy Marchant

Jeremy Marchant

Thanks Viccot for your suggestion.

Shortly after my last post in mid November, the machine seemed to right itself and from then until a month or so ago, I got 100% faultless service. Anything I set the machine to record was recorded faultlessly: no corruption, recordings started during the station ident, and finished after the credits had rolled.

And then, for no discernible reason, the machine started to fail again. Since then almost all recordings have been as originally when I bought the machine: corrupted almost from the start and starting minutes into the programme.

But not all. For example, I was able to record and watch every episode of Royal Navy school on Channel 4 without a problem. But The Simpsons, also on C4, every episode corrupted without exception.

Occasionally one episode has made it: one of Question time, one of University challenge in the recent past. I’ve just checked and Friday’s Newsnight made it, but not the previous two days’. Yesterday’s QI has made it.

Because the quality of recordings, when the machine does record, seems fine, and because I could watch tv live if I wanted to, it’s very hard to believe that the problem is something to do with the aerial or any connections.

What seems to be happening is that, given a choice of aerials where I live (Stroud, Glos near Cheltenham and Gloucester and about 20 miles north of Bristol), it’s pot luck which aerial the machine picks. Except for that period of over three months when it invariably picked the right aerial. It’s as if, having found and “locked onto” the correct aerial earlier this year, some event unlocked the setting and the machine is floundering again, as it did when I first bought it.

Normally, I do not switch off the machine at night, I just mute it and switch off the tv. There was one event which seems to have coincided with the machine starting to play up again when it wouldn’t replay recordings (or do anything), so I switched it off and on again.

Any thoughts?

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 21:38:58 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Jeremy Marchant - 1 hour ago  » 
    Any thoughts?

As previously posted by Graham ...

Hopefully someone with the new box will post the required manual tuning procedure. (One for the 4000T faq).

Edit: Ah! Just noticed post #11 which outlined the procedure.

Jeremy Marchant - 4 months ago  » 

Have you, or is 'later' still to occur?
    The procedure will need to be followed at every retune.

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 23:19:50 #17 |
  8. viccot

viccot

Here are the manual tuning instructions, courtesy of Humax Tech Support.

Please follow these instructions to manually tune a Freeview Play unit. Performing a manual tune can help with picture/sound, signal and recording issues.

Please NOTE: System settings such as screen ratio will be reset and your schedule will be deleted but recorded programmes will be saved.
    Press Home on the remote
    Using the directional buttons move and select Settings
    Select System Settings
    Choose Factory Default with the OK button
    Select ‘YES’
    Enter Password 0000
    The unit will restart, please allow up to 2 minutes for this to happen
    Please choose your preferred language
    Please choose your Internet Connection Method
    Select Next on confirmation Screen
    Select "I agree to the privacy policy" and press OK
    Select "I agree to the terms and conditions" and press OK
    Choose Next
    Select Next and stop the automatic search before any channels are found
    When presented with the message 'Do you want to stop the search?' select YES
    Select your "Power Saving In Standby" preference and press OK
    Then select Next and press OK
    Then choose Exit
    Software check will take place
    Once finished scroll through the onscreen guide and press OK on the last screen
    When given the message that no channels are available press the OK button,
    Select manual channel search and press OK
    Select Channel and enter a channel number from the list below:
    Please see the following numbers for your local transmitter.

My transmitter is Craigkelly so your MUX channel numbers will be diferent. Manual tuning forces it to one transmitter. Stroud is a relay transmitter from Mendip. This will tell you which TV channels you can receive https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address/results If you ask nicely Freeview support will tell you your mux channels for manual tuning.

Channel: 27
    Channel: 24
    Channel: 42
    Channel: 45
    Channel: 39

When tuning HD Channels please select transmission and change this to DVB-T2.

Channel HD: 21
    Channel HD: 33
    Channel HD: 34

It may also be worthwhile checking the aerial alignment with a compass and that it is aligned correctly to vertical or horizontal. Also check that the band is correct an upgrade to Craigkelly a few years back changed it to K band and although round here you can get reception on a piece of wet string I changed the aerial to match the transmitter.

| Mon 4 Apr 2016 9:47:54 #18 |
  9. viccot

viccot

Sorting out the aerial leads improved the reception but did not get rid of all the picture problems. Pixellation happens less frequently and is not so bad. Now manually retuned and waiting to see what happens.

If the unit is on the internet it can update itself. Are the problems related to a software update? Looks as though you will have to manually retune after these as well.

| Mon 4 Apr 2016 10:58:49 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I had one instance of a recording being so badly pixellated it was completely unwatchable. My Signal Quality is always 100% when I check it. I receive the Mendip main transmitter for all channels (I don't have and 800+ numbers) and I never had it occur to me on my 9200T.

I can only conclude it was either

a) the Humax doing something wrong
    b) the transmitted signal was poor due to a fault at the transmitter
    c) some inteference came in from somewhere and corrupted the received signal

It has only happened once since Christmas.

| Mon 4 Apr 2016 14:08:45 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.