My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

5000T Stops Collecting Historical EPG Data

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Newbie warning!

I bought a FVP-5000T in October, as I wanted Freeview Play. I set it up and it worked as expected pretty much straight away, although it insisted on bringing the firmware up to date first (August 2018).

After a few days, I noticed that, when I "rewound" the EPG to the previous week, all channels showed "No programme information". Additionally, the On Demand page said something about data not being available, try later.

Being a techie sort of guy, I worked out it was a internet issue, and I went into the network setup menu. The network test said all was fine, which I confirmed with the laptop which shares the same powerline to the router. My broadband is pretty solid.

Before contacting support, I did the factory reset thing, which they were bound to ask (even though I'd only just set it up). Sure enough, a few days later, I was back in the same situation.

The only thing which fixes the problem is literally turning it off and on again! Then, 2 or 3 days later, it's stuck again.

I rang support, and they suggested a Wi-Fi connection instead. Tried that, and it stopped updating a few days later. So, I got back to them, and they said send it back.

I'll be sending it back in a few days, but I can't help but think this isn't a hardware fault, and I'll have the same problem with a new box.

Why would it stop updating the old EPG after a few days? And, even if the internet was down for a bit (which I'm fairly sure it wasn't), why would it not try again later when it was back on? Surely, if it thought the internet was down, the network test would fail anyway.

| Thu 29 Nov 2018 14:51:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

RobK

This has also happened to me repeatedly, although for some unknown reason not recently. Clearing the cookies of the media players seemed to solve this at the time (press freeview button, select players, select i, and then delete cookies), although I assume this then removes your saved login details for these. I still see repeated loss of network connectivity or poor throughput causing buffering despite the box stating that the network status is fine (note that these problems are not there on my smart tv on the same network). Overall the Humax FVP4000T (and therefore 5000T) continuously disappoints. I had used a Humax HDR Fox T2 for years until the inevitable age related random failures got too much. The new box is a significant backwards step software wise. I would happily pay twice as much for a box with a slightly faster response and software developed to a professional standard, unfortunately the only such box requires a Sky subscription. I know enough about software to understand this isn't necessarily easy, however it should also not be beyond the capabilities of a company like Humax.

| Sat 1 Dec 2018 11:34:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

Same here, Rebooting the box brought it back but I had to keep inputting the WiFi password which became a PITA so I went wired,did a factory reset and like RobK it's not done it in a while now.

| Sat 1 Dec 2018 13:27:04 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Just an update for anyone searching this stuff...

Humax asked me to send the unit back, so they organised a doorstep exchange.

I set up the new unit more or less the same as the old one, and, a week later, it has not lost the on-demand functions.

The only variable in the experiment is the firmware version. I left the replacement unit at 1.03.37, whereas the faulty unit was flashed on setup to 1.03.45. I want to make sure everything is reliable before updating (or maybe I won't bother).

By the way, is there a firmware changelog anywhere?

| Fri 28 Dec 2018 16:19:01 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

If it ain't broke then don't fix it.
    Or in English, if it is working, don't mess with it.

| Fri 28 Dec 2018 19:39:16 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bunzer - 3 hours ago  » 
    Just an update for anyone searching this stuff...
    Humax asked me to send the unit back, so they organised a doorstep exchange.
    I set up the new unit more or less the same as the old one, and, a week later, it has not lost the on-demand functions.
    The only variable in the experiment is the firmware version. I left the replacement unit at 1.03.37, whereas the faulty unit was flashed on setup to 1.03.45. I want to make sure everything is reliable before updating (or maybe I won't bother).
    By the way, is there a firmware changelog anywhere?

Humax don't exactly specifically say

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?category_id=12&product_id=3793&curr_page=sw_release

Basically it appears to be a update to the GPDR requirements which forces a user to agree to the new conditions.

I do remember being faced with this after a re-boot.

I wouldn't worry. If your box is networked any future updates will happen when they are released. The OTA update by the PSB HD mux was recently scrapped.

| Fri 28 Dec 2018 19:51:38 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Trev: yes, I'd be inclined to agree. That's why I was interested in the changelog, to see if there was anything worth having. Otherwise, I'll probably stay put.

Graham: thanks. Looks like an insignificant update. Were there any between 37 and 45 that you know of?

| Sat 29 Dec 2018 11:22:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bunzer

Well, although I’d decided to stick with the supplied 1.03.37 firmware, I just switched on this evening to a T&C agreement. I checked the firmware, and it’s automatically upgraded to 1.03.47. Thanks for asking, Humax.

Fingers crossed the on demand guide keeps working.

| Thu 10 Jan 2019 22:16:30 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mobo

Hi folks.
    I've been talking to Humax since last March (18) had a new 4000 then a 5000 supplied by Humax but the loss of historical EPG and greyed out players has been a continual issue.
    The catch up function and past epg usually lasts for 2 days then the dreaded "No information " appears. My "best" solution is a hard mains off reset every 2 days !!! Humax seem to think that this issue with my system is " unique " so don't seem to have a reason or willing to find a solution . I have little confidence in them at present.
    Any ideas ??

| Thu 31 Jan 2019 15:53:27 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Mobo - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I've been talking to Humax since last March (18) had a new 4000 then a 5000 supplied by Humax but the loss of historical EPG and greyed out players has been a continual issue.
    The catch up function and past epg usually lasts for 2 days then the dreaded "No information " appears. My "best" solution is a hard mains off reset every 2 days !!!

How is the Humax connected to the Internet?

| Thu 31 Jan 2019 16:05:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.