My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Active transponder

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim.h

Hi Guys
    I have been reading various threads and I have some issues of my own similar to other issues reported I .e. Trying to record from different transponders at the same time ( excuse any terminology ) but how do I know what transponder my programmes are behind? HDR 1100s

| Fri 6 Jan 2017 9:46:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Have I understood your problem correctly? I believe that on the 1000/1010/1100 series you cannot record channels which are not on the Freesat EPG. That is, FTA channels. So the issue of what transponder is moot.
    If you are talking exclusively about recording from the EPG then this may help...
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

| Fri 6 Jan 2017 10:19:07 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jim.h - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Guys
    I have been reading various threads and I have some issues of my own similar to other issues reported I .e. Trying to record from different transponders at the same time ( excuse any terminology ) but how do I know what transponder my programmes are behind? HDR 1100s

Do you have one or two cables connected to your pvr ? With two cables you should be able to record any two programmes at any time. If you can't post again for info as to what to check.

You can download the information you want from this thread.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Fri 6 Jan 2017 10:58:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim.h

Hi Pollensa1946 and thank you for your reply............which I am sorry to say, does not mean anything
    to me, I just don't understand the jargon. I have had intermittent issues with my box and the threads concerning my issues lead me back to trying to access different transponders at the same time eg programming clashes occasionally and cannot change channels during recording. I have two feeds from my dish to the box.

I would be grateful for a simplistic explanation as to your interpretation of my problem.

Thank you

| Fri 6 Jan 2017 11:06:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

It appears you are having problems viewing a third channel when two recording are currently running. See Grahams link above, I believe the important points for two cables are illustrated in...

"If both recordings are from the same transponder (eg BBC1-HD and BBC-HD) you can view and time shift any 3rd channel

If both recordings are from different transponders then you can view but not time shift any channel sharing a transponder with either recording."

| Fri 6 Jan 2017 11:31:55 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jim.h - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Pollensa1946 and thank you for your reply............which I am sorry to say, does not mean anything
    to me, I just don't understand the jargon. I have had intermittent issues with my box and the threads concerning my issues lead me back to trying to access different transponders at the same time eg programming clashes occasionally and cannot change channels during recording. I have two feeds from my dish to the box.
    I would be grateful for a simplistic explanation as to your interpretation of my problem.
    Thank you

One transponder (known as a multiplex in Digital Terrestrial TV - MUX) has multiple channels mixed into the digital stream of data using the same carrier frequency. In analogue broadcasting one transponder (UHF carrier for analogue terrestrial TV) can only carry a single TV channel.

The tuner removes the analogue carrier leaving the digital data stream. The decoder(s) in the box seperates out the digital data associated with the programme you have chosen to watch. The digital data stream is recorded directly to a hard disk if you are recording and also to a file on the hard disk (time shift buffer). It's this file that allows pause, rewind and fast forward of live TV.

The Humax has the capability for each tuner to handle two channels at once from the same data stream (transponder). Therefore if you happen to be recording two from the same transponder (eg BBC1 HD and BBC 2 HD) then only 1 tuner is required so the second tuner can be used to view any third channel and allow time shifting. In fact you can even record this channel from the time shift buffer when one of the two recordings finishes. You can also set a reminder from the epg to ensure the box tunes to the third channel when the programme starts to make sure the beginning of the programme is recorded to the time shift buffer file.

When you record from different transponders, the two channel capability of either tuner can be used to view a programme on either transponder from which the two recordings are being made.

You normally don't have to worry about this as the epg won't let you make a conflicting pair of recording reservations or add a watch one that is impossible. Sometimes though if you have back to back recordings and one finishes late (after the accurate recording signal indicates the second one has started) you get a on screen warning. If left alone the first one generally stops before any programme content is lost from the follow on recording.

The link I provided has up to date lists of channels sorted by transponder.

One in a format you can open in Excel or compatible spreadsheet., the other in HTML the language used to write webpages. If you download this and use the file menu of your browswer you can view it on your PC.

Sometimes if a different region that is on your epg has a different episode to yours (typically Scotland and England) when you record it, you get two programmes set to record. If you have one recording set already you get a mysterious clash.

There is two ways to get over this

Delete the other region or use a manual recording.

While recording two you can cycle through the other available channels by using the programme up/down buttons on the remote.

| Fri 6 Jan 2017 12:58:15 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.